“Never fails to disappoint” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2121 P Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Suite Savings
Ranked #15 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Nashville
“Never fails to disappoint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay for the second time at the Palomar in Washington DC. Arrived late and was welcomed warmly by the check in agent. I was celebrating my birthday and the lovely manager left me a bottle of champage and chocolate covered strawberries. The room was 2 queens and was very spacious. Everyone working at the hotel had a warm smile and was friendly. The lobby is inviting with its daily wine hour. I love the location in dupont circle area and will return again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank wally35

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed in Palomar Hotel last week. it is a lovely respite from the heady, extreme character of Washington, DC atmosphere. Located near Dupont Circle, the rooms are dramatically large, beautifully equipped for computer work, ultra modern. quiet, and comfortable. A hospitable wine reception was held the night I stayed, but was too busy to avail myself of this delightful courtesy. My only negative and one driven by personal taste, was the African animal themes in the bathrobes and other amenities. These prints, magnificant African animals (zebra, leopard, etc), left me cold since my safari to Botswana and a few too close and personal encounters with some species (crocodile, elephant, lion). I was somewhat taken aback by the presence of these prints, although I recognize that many guests would find them appealing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My GF and I love Kimpton Hotels, so we booked here for our first trip to DC and Cherry Blossom festivities. Easy to get there in Subway from Reagan Airport.
We got an upgrade to a bigger room and it was huge. Front desk staff are really nice and helpful.
The room has a huge TV and nice beds, it features usb connections to charge your gadgets and a nice desk to work. Bathroom is a little small but its ok.
Bed is really comfortable but you can hear contiguous rooms and rooms located above, especially when they used the bathroom or shower. It was a nightmare for me since I am a light sleeper.
It is like 15 min walk from Georgetown or 7 dollar taxi ride.
There are lots of places to eat nearby and conveniently located 5 min from subway red line.
I will be back, but ensure to get a quieter room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Palomar for two nights, April 23-25, 2013. I had booked a simple suite but Clayton and Mark at the concierge had some exciting news for me; I would get the presidential suite -that's a double upgrade. Needless to say, the room was huge and super clean and everybody was friendly and eager to provide their service. I had no time to see the other parts of the hotel (other than my footballfieldish room that is) but I'm sure they would live up. Being a fan of the Kimpton hotels (I adore the Eventi at NY) I really wanted the Palomar to be on par but having had a few bad experiences with hotels with a good name all over the world, I was reserved. Thankfully I was not at all disappointed and I will definitely visit the Palomar again on my next trip to DC.

P.S. You can't beat the location.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Columbia, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was a return stay at the Palomar, chosen because of its excellent DuPont Circle location and because our previous stay had been so pleasant. Again, after this stay, we would choose the Palomar over similar DuPont Circle hotels. Our room, this stay, was much larger-long narrow entrance hall leading in to the fairly narrow, but large room. King bed with two side tables, a bench at the end of the bed, desk and chair, and comfortable chair with ottoman-all faced the TV positioned on a dresser. All furnishings were functional, modern, and pleasantly tasteful. Bath was large and very functional, also. On our last evening, the room safe malfunctioned, but engineering quickly responded, fixing the problem, and commenting that after multiple days of using the same code, the safe sometimes malfunctions. When brought to management's attention, we were assured that this would be resolved for future guests. We enjoyed the nightly wine tasting in the lobby and were impressed that a member of the Kimpton service staff was continually moving throughout the lobby, clearing left/finished glasses and plates. Front desk was always courteous upon either arrival or departure. Location can't be beat, facilities are excellent, staff is cordial/helpful...we will not hesitate to stay again upon our next DC trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ShowMe
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the past 4 years. My recent stay was just as enjoyable as my previous two. The hotel is impeccably maintained and modern The rooms are spotless. The Executive King rooms are HUGE. DC rooms can be small. If you want a larger room, don't hesitate to book this type of room... for the price difference, you can't beat it. Location is good.

One negative about staying here is during the early morning rush hour it is difficult to get a cab. I always forget about this. You would think that the bellman would have taxi's called (they try hard to fetch one for you though in the streets). Probably better off using an app on your phone like Uber or arranging for a car in advance. OR just leave yourself plenty of time to get to your destination - on this trip I waited about 10-15 minutes and had to share a taxi with another guest (added to the trip another 10 minutes for both our drop-offs).

I would not hesitate to stay here again and again. Good choice for DC!

Room Tip: Get an Executive King room if you like lots of space.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank funandrelaxation
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here in September as part of a four city tour of the East Coast. And it was our favourite hotel. Firstly, the location is amazing (you must go to the book shop restaurant as you come out of DuPont Circle Metro) and we actually walked in both times we went into the City - once through Georgetown to relive our student days and once straight there. It was about 15 minutes. The rooms were great - Aveda products in the bathroom and the beds were HUGE. Made even better by the strange addition of some leopard and zebra print bathrobes. I know its strange to focus on those but they were really random!

Breakfast was fine.

The best bit was the evening nibbles and wine. We would aim to get back to the hotel for 5.30pm, grab a glass of wine and some cheese and olives, talk to the staff about what to do the next day or where to head for dinner and then go to the room to get ready before heading out again for dinner.

Would recommend - hoping that all of the Palomar chain is like this because I've been raving about them to everyone I know.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple