“Very cool place”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #35 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I singed up for the Kimpton Hotel member program a while back, and that helped me decide on this hotel in D.C. Upon check-in, I received a two cocktail certificate for each night of my stay, a pretty sweet deal considering the price of a martini. The appetizers and pizza in the bar are very tasty. The happy hour oyster deal is great, but does draw an SRO crowd making it hard to find a place to sit. Close to metro and a Starbuck's. Overall great experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear mudfoot,
Thank you very much for staying us. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay. Welcome to InTouch! Thanks for signing up. We hope to welcome you again very soon. Best wishes, Stephane

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Based on a late booking price, the hotel was very good value, but it's otherwise it might be a fairly big ticket expense. My room was small, but functional. There was a small desk.... and I do mean small.

What makes a difference at this hotel is the staff; they were well trained, attentive and went out of their way to help. For example, I required a hastily arranged conference room for a meeting - this was provided at no cost!

The Happy Hour was enjoyable part of the stay. The bar area was generally busy through the evening. Avoid the room service since this is expensive, not available 24/7 and is based on a version of the bar menu that is uninspiring.

I'm not sure that the pool area is ever really usable - it's a splash inside an inner courtyard - that, in January, looked a little run down.

Staying here again on business wouldn't be a problem since the location is good and you get access to the Washington Metro and Georgetown.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I take a few trips to DC a year and I split my stays between the Palomar and the W in Federal Circle. The W has the location advantage given it's close to Penn Ave, but the Palomar has bigger rooms (they can also be quite generous with upgrades), an afternoon wine reception, and generally great service. Last time I was there I saw bikes that guests can use although I haven't taken advantage of that yet.

Compared to other Kimpton hotels, this one has a much sexier, modern design vs. some of the funkier ones in SF and others. Haven't dined in the restaurant, but cocktails were fine.

Room Tip: If you like to exercise, there are rooms that have either a treadmill or an elliptical in an adjoini...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ezraulo

Dear ezraulo,
Thank you so much for being a fan. Glad to read that you enjoy our cool decor and the wine hour. Let me know when you are back in town. I would love to say hi. Best wishes, Stephane

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at Palomar a few summers ago for three weeks (yes, not a typo). We returned recently, and enjoyed it a lot. The staff, as ever, was great, especially Omar at the front desk, he was awesome. The doormen, servers for the wine hour, housekeeping were all great. Our room was a queen/queen, very nice view, large corner room, but tiny bathroom (if you were not small like me, would be hard to fit!). Last time we had an enormous bathroom. Other than that, we loved the room. The hotel is great. Everything is pretty and clean. Awesome location in Dupont Circle. The restaurant needs a little re-vamp--they are very disorganized--which was not true the first time we stayed a few years ago. Room service is very prompt, but they should present the food a little prettier (example, the pastries are just put on a white plate--no doilies, nothing--a basket with a napkin would be nice)--just a nit. The food is good, though, and the atmosphere of the restaurant is very nice. I will be back--I love the Kimpton hotels, love the staff, the wine hour, and the vibe.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear sanfran58,
Thank you so much for returning. I love to hear you enjoyed your stay; I will make sure to share your review with the team. See you again soon. Best wishes, Stephane

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the Palomar. The rooms were larger and quieter than we'd expected. The location was convenient: A short walk to Georgetown and also to the Dupont Circle Metro stop. The lobby was a little noisy and not conducive to lingering and there is no convenient pullout to load and unload luggage but those are minor quibbles. For its price, the hotel was very nice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Alaskatravel1234,
Thank you so much for staying with us. I am really happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel and had fun during your visit. Come and see us again soon. Best wishes, Stephane

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Good Location, and great rooms. I also really like the new bed side chargers for cell phones. I wish more hotels would take note and add these to the bedside, nothing worse then having to get up to answer the phone while it's charging a distance away. Beds are nice and comftable and good internet service. The resturant is great as well.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Dear beakr,
Thank you so much for your comments. Love to read you found the charging station on the bed side table useful. Hope to see you again very soon. Best wishes, Stephane

Reviewed February 26, 2013

this is our second stay and we like this hotel for many reasons. It is really in a perfect location and the staff makes you feel like you are really welcome. They couldn't be nicer or more helpful.The bed is comfy and the the bathrooms though small and a bit tired are kept very clean and water power is excellent. Only complaint this time is housekeeping did not vacuum our carpet during our stay and we had to connect some outlets that were unplugged. No biggy. We didnt have breakfast in the hotel this trip but having Starbucks next door is awesome! Wine tasting is great.
We will return.

Room Tip: Our room on the 6th floor at the end with a pool view had marginal internet. Previous stay room was...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear alexandsyd,
Thank you so much for your great feedback and thanks for being a fan. Let me know next time you are in town. I would love to say hi in person. Best wishes, Stephane