“Great accommodation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles
“Great accommodation”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel, located near Dupont Circle, was a nice choice for my stay in DC. There are many restaurants next to the restaurant, Starbucks and Le Pain Quotidien are down the street. The Mall and Georgetown are 15-20 minute walks away; however, a cab is probably necessary to get you to most places. The room was very spacey and modern but with some character. They offer free coffee/tea in the mornings and wine in the early evenings. The staff were friendly. My only complaint is that the maids didn't bother to clean the rooms one day (towels and toiletries were not replenished). Great stay overall.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed December 27, 2012

That was a good start to my Christmas Eve mini-break! I was already in a good mood because I found a parking space on the street right outside of the hotel. That's almost unheard of in DC. The hotel was beautiful. I had an east facing executive king room; not the best view but I liked waking to the sun. The bed was so comfortable, I had a hard time getting out of it on Christmas morning. I would have liked more pressure in the shower, but that was such a small issue, it's almost not even worth mentioning. There was plenty of room to work, a nice comfortable lounge chair, and a spacious closet with robes, umbrella and socks (just in case you forgot something).The staff was friendly and helpful. I wish I had been able to stay for more than one night.

Room Tip: I have a feeling there are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Locemup,
Thank you so much for spending the holiday with us. So happy to read you loved the hotel. We cannot wait to welcome you again soon. Happy New Year! Stephane
USA
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for five nights right before Christmas. Everything was perfect. From the easy check-in to the large room to the evening wine reception. It was great to see so many dogs at the hotel (although we left ours at home).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear foureyes18,
Thank you so much for your great review! See you again soon and please bring your dog the next time. Happy New Year. Stephane
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

My wife, our daughter and I stayed at this lovely hotel for our one night in DC. The most memorable thing, and there were many, was the size of the room. It was HUGE. Stayed in a corner room on the 7th floor. Layout was great. Beds very comfortable. Staff extremely friendly.

Location was really great. Lots of restaurants choices close by. Hotel is easy to get to and is located near all of the consulates. Took a walk through the area. It was so beautiful. Subway was close. We didn't use it this time as we had a car. It was Saturday night so we got to do free street parking and saved on parking charges.

The only drawback was some thoughtless guests who were there with dogs and felt it was ok to leave them unattended. The hotel did take care of this after I called to let them know the dogs were barking. Perhaps their dog policy should be updated so that this does not happen again. Other than that, it was great and we will definitely be back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear In2exploring,
Thank you so much for your great feedback. So happy to read you enjoyed interacting with the staff and had a good time visiting DC. We cannot wait to welcome you back. Let us know when you are planning to be in town and we will make sure you are assigned a quieter room. Best wishes, Stephane
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 22, 2012

The Palomar Hotel is great from the moment you step inside. The doormen and employees at the front lobby are very friendly. Aesthically the hotel is immediately cute and quaint. There's a comfortable lounge area that leads to a restaurant and trendy bar. In the mornings there's complimentary hot chocolate with white and milk chocolate shavings and in the evenings there's a complimentary wine hour. Both red and white wine are served. Very hospitable and appreciated. The rooms are another treat. I think we stayed in the smallest one but it was absolutely adorable! The bed had body pillows, faux fur throws and animal print robes. The price was also incredibly reasonable. The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to shops and this awesome bookstore/diner called Kramer's. A quick cab ride will get you to the center of Georgetown for more shopping. I would definitely be back to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear karmelLosAngeles,
Thank you so much for the fantastic feedback! We wish you a Happy New Year and hope to see you again very soon. Best wishes, Stephane
New York City
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The service was excellent. The doormen and front desk are especially good.

The free hot cocoa, free wi-fi, free newspaper, free mini bar, and free wine hour are great perks.

The gym was decent. I think it could be a little bigger and have more treadmills, but overall it was clean and stocked with fresh towels and fresh fruit.

The breakfast was wonderful! The service in the restaurant seemed to be charming, but slow. But overall the food was very pleasant!

Valet/ overnight parking costs $40 a night which is insane. oh by the way, plus tax. But that being said for everything else you receive as a perk, I didn't mind it as much.

I stayed in the deluxe King which was very spacious and comfortable. The only comment I would say is they should redo the bathrooms with a bigger bathtub. Right now the toilet is basically sitting about a foot a way from the tub so it's a pain getting in and out of the shower.

The area this hotel is in is in the heart of it all. You can't go wrong here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Chris P,
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad to read that you found our hotel to be of good value and enjoyed the neighborhood. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Happy New Year! Best wishes, Stephane
New York
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed at the Palomar Washington DC for a long weekend. The hotel is lovely, very modern and well appointed. Our room was spacious and the beds were extremely comfortable. The front desk staff and the concierge really went out of their way to be kind, friendly, professional and helpful. I would say this hotel was just about fantastic except for a few minor things: the first and biggest complaint I had was with housekeeping. They did a fairly good job cleaning our room but seemed to have trouble understanding our request not to be disturbed until after 9:30 AM (we did not have a sign to hang on the door and told them so but they never gave us one). Even once we asked them to come back later, they decided that would be a good time to vacuum the rug in the hall outside our room....for what seemed to be a really long time. And they kept banging the vacuum into our door. I'd like to think this was done innocently but we had just asked them to come back later so I had to wonder.
All in all, though, I would describe those things as minor inconveniences. The hotel is very close to Dupont Circle and excellent restaurants and shopping. It is NOT super close to the mall and museums, so if you don't want to walk a lot, wait for the metro which is very sporadic on weekends, or pay for taxies (about $12 one way) then don't stay there.
Otherwise I would absolutely recommend this hotel and we will for sure stay there again when we are back in DC. The best part of the experience (other than the great staff) is their daily 5PM reception where they serve wine, hot toddies (in winter) and soft drinks, as well as snacks to all guests. We met the couple we were traveling with there every evening before heading out to one of the delicious restaurants in the area. This hotel is a sure hit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SGill1125
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear SGill1125,
Thank you very much for your feedback. Love to hear you enjoyed your time with us. I am sorry that housekeeping did not take care of your request to not be disturbed prior to 9:30am. I will review your comments with the team and we will make sure all the rooms have a sign available. Let me know next time you are in town, I would love to welcome you personally. Happy Holidays, Stephane