“Loved the exercise machine in the room!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #33 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Chessington, United Kingdom
“Loved the exercise machine in the room!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were upgraded to a "motion room" which meant that we had our own exercise room with a cross trainer, which saved me a couple of trips down to the gym! The rest of the room (912) was also very smart with a huge comfy bed, fridge, desk etc. There were lots of sockets, including USB's and dimmer switches on all lights. The bathroom was smallish, but had room for a two-person spa bath and a great shower.
Breakfast in Urbano was good and served quickly, but was not especially friendly. Service was better in the evening, but the food was only OK.
The evening wine hour was very popular, and served good wines, with small snacks, and there is free tea & coffee in the lobby every morning.
The location is excellent: a nice area, with lots of restaurants, and a short walk to the Metro or 20 minute walk to Georgetown.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear PotterMoose,
Thank you so much for staying with us. So happy you enjoyed our Motion room and all the amenities it comes with. I am sorry the overall experience in the restaurant wasn't up to par. I will make sure to share your feedback with the restaurant team. We will definitely give our overall service and quality of food some extra attention. We hope to welcome you again soon! Best wishes, Stephane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
High Wycombe
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This is a great hotel. Huge room, decent bathroom and a quirky little pool outside, which was great to cool down after walking back from the national mall etc.

Like other reviews, while the bar is kind of cool, it's expensive. There are other options, such as scion across the road.

That said, will go back to the Palomar when we go back to Washington..

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HighWycombeMIch
Dear HighWycombeMIch,
Thank you very much for your great feedback. We cannot wait to host you again soon! Best wishes, Stephane
Vienna, VA
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is in a very good location. It doesn't look very impressive from the outside, but the rooms are very nice, as is the lobby area. The staff was also very friendly.

The rooms are very well appointed, with lights that dim throughout, a very nice bathroom, and comfortable furniture.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear hoos90,
Thank you so much for your great feedback. So glad you had a good time during your stay and enjoyed interacting with the staff. I will be sure to share your review with team. Hope to see you again soon! Best wishes, Stephane
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Palomar Hotel for 8 nights. I was to run the Marine Corps Marathon and we would sight see for the remaining week. The hurricane put a little damper into our plans, but nothing the Palomar Hotel could not easily erase any discomfort! Wine hour from 5-6 is delightful. We had an opporunity to meet other folks who ran the marathon and some who were stranded by the closings of the mass transit system. Everyone at the hotel was helpful. The staff was outstanding. For the price, this is the place to stay! Our room was very quiet and, on the seventh floor, my only concern to dog allergy sufferers, is that my allergies acted up on the elevator, so I took the stairs, no problem for me since I like to walk stairs whenever possible.

Room Tip: We took a room in the back of the hotel and requested a non-adjoining room. It was really very quie...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear PamHGolden_Colorado,
Thank you so much for staying with us this past week. Congrats on finishing the MCM2012! I am very happy to read that you found our hotel to be of good value. Your feedback about the efforts showed from the entire team during the hurricane will be shared with everyone too. Thanks again for staying with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon. Best wishes, Stephane
NY
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Palomar is a comfortable hotel in Dupont Circle and well worth staying at, especially if you get a discounted rate like we did through an online site like Snique Away which is a TripAdvisor company. My only complaint is their positioning of themselves as a "luxury" property which they are not. They offer a couple of nice touches, like thick animal print bathrobes and a free wine hour from 5-6pm each day, but they also do pretentious things like calling their fitness center a "sculpting room" and their lobby area (where the wine is served) a "library" which it isn't. When I think of luxury properties I think Four Seasons or Waldorf Astoria. The Palomar is more like the high end of the Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton range of properties instead. Perfectly nice as long as you know what you are getting but falls short if you are looking for true luxury.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BruceSXM,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am glad that you overall enjoyed your stay. I am sorry we fell short on the luxury expectations. Our hotel is definitely different than the brands you have mentioned but our goal remains to deliver the best guest service anywhere in the industry. In addition to our service standards, we live by the theme of "Art in Motion" and bring it to life not only with unique art work displayed throughout but also within the name of our public areas. Thanks again so much for your feedback. If you ever back in town in the future please let me know; I will be happy to assist with your travel arrangements. Best wishes, Stephane
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Recently, my partner and I spent a lovely weekend in Washington DC, just prior to Hurricane Sandy. We stayed at the Palomar DC and from beginning to end the stay was very nice. We were given an executive king on check-in which was spacious and quiet located on the back side of the hotel. No specific view, but very quiet, which is important to me. Since we were at the end of the corridor, there was little outside room traffic. The room was spacious, clean, light with a very comfortable bed.

Although the hotel does provide complementary happy hour from 5-6 PM, we did not try it.

We ate breakfast in the hotel and found it very pricey, but the portions were good. Service in the Restaurant was below par. They wait staff seemed disorganized, and they did not check back with us frequently enough, especially for additional coffee.

The concierge however was fantastic. He arranged for dinner reservations all three nights (Pesces, Neyla, and La Chaumiere) and got us in when we wanted to eat. He also arranged for a fantastic private 4-5 tour via SUV which provided an overview of Washington in really surprising detail. The tour guide was outstanding and very worth his fee of $145/hour.

When the concierge found out I was ill, he offered to send up hot tea, or anything else I might need.

All of the above positives, made my stay wonderful. We will most certainly return.

Room Tip: Ask for an executive king at the back of the hotel. Very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear drdennis2,
Thank you so much for staying with us during Hurricane Sandy. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We are very lucky to have such a great concierge team. I will make sure to share your kind remarks with them. I will also address your feedback about your experience in the restaurant. Sorry that the service wasn't at its best. Please let me know next time you are in town. I will make sure the service is impeccable at the restaurant as well. Best wishes, Stephane
Calabash, North Carolina
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a reunion with my Eastern Airline buddies and stayed at the Palomar in DuPont Circle. I cannot say enough about this beautiful hotel. Staff was very accommodating, wine party in the evening, lovely lobby with fireplace and the restaurant - Urbana - makes an awesome pizza pie. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Conveniently located to all the museums, restaurants and lovely shops. Great place!

Room Tip: Ask for a front room facing P street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ellen P,
I am so happy to read that we made your reunion a great one! Thank you so much for choosing us and we hope to welcome you again soon. Best wishes, Stephane