“Wedding anniversary trip”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #35 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Stayed at the palomar March 3. This is a great hotel, all of the staff are super super friendly. The property is nicely done. Their restaurant Urbana is nice with great waitstaff. The bar scene in the evening was hopping, super friendly bartender's too. Stay here. Will be staying at helix, another kimpton property on march 30.

• Stayed: March 2012
GMPalomar, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Dear vhand. Thank you for such a great review. I am delighted that you chose us for your anniversary weekend. We look forward to you next visit and have fun at the Helix this weekend!

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC

Reviewed March 23, 2012

This is my 5th stay at this hotel over the last year and I just have to say how much I love this hotel! Honestly, I've wanted to keep this a secret for selfish reasons, but I felt guilty after the EXTRAORDINARY service that I received today. I've always appreciated the very friendly and professional front desk staff, but GABRIEL and LIZANNE went out of their way today. I am on a business trip and decided to stay an extra night in DC, so I made a reservation only 5 minutes before arriving at the hotel. When I arrived, the information hadn't come through, so Gabriel and Lizanne gave me a coupon for a drink at the bar while I waited. During the time I was waiting, the two of them made me feel so welcome that I didn't even care that I had to wait for the room (which, by the way, was no fault of the Palomar, but rather the fault of the online travel agency). They were incredibly friendly and professional and genuinely made me feel that I was a valued patron. In short, they turned what might have been a less-than-pleasant situation into one that will forever endear me to this hotel.

To Gabriel and Lizanne - thanks from the guy in room 807 on the night of March 23rd. You both deserve promotions!

Room Tip: I've stayed here five times in the last year and have never had a bad room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear SmartTravelGuy. Thank you for sharing such a great story and for giving Gabriel and Lizann a shout out! They are true professionals and we are lucky to have them both!

Reviewed March 23, 2012

Stayed here for a week in early March. The hotel really lives up to its rating. Location is very good, great facilities and staff very helpful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Palomar for a night last weekend and had quite a nice evening. The hotel is very hip and trendy (as are all Kimptons), and it's in a great part of town a block or two away from Dupoont Circle. We had booked a king room but were upgraded to a suite when we checked in, which was a very nice surprise. The woman at the front desk said the upgrade was a result of our last-minute booking (we booked the same day as our stay). Unfortunately, my husband and I got to the hotel right after the wine hour ended, but we were offered vouchers for a free glass of wine as compensation. Very nice!

The suite we had (on the 6th floor) was quite spacious and had separate living/sleeping rooms in fun colors. I loved the carpeting! The bathroom was also nicely finished, although the tub/shower combo was a little underwhelming if only because it was so "normal" in comparison to all the other, nicer features in the room. If you're hoping to luxuriate in a leisurely bath I would definitely opt for the spa room upgrade. But overall I really liked the room and thought it was a great value for the price.

The walls are a bit thin, which has been mentioned by others. I am a very light sleeper so maybe I'm extra sensitive, but I was awakened by the person walking from room to room slipping invoices under doors early in the morning. A lack of soundproofing seems to be fairly common in all hotels though, so I wasn't overly bothered by the noise.

I would certainly recommend the Palomar if you're looking for a nice hotel in a great location. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Regarding parking, I would recommend a quick drive around the blocks close to the hotel to look for...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I had a standard room. Lighting is excellent, bed very comfortable, everything clean and working properly. The front desk staff is great. The workout room was in good shape with a nice range of dumbbells, exercise balls, and the usual cardio equipment. Room service was prompt and food was great. I try to stay here every time I'm in DC.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JoKnits
Reviewed March 21, 2012

In a ten day period my daughter and I traveled from home in NY to: Boston, DC, Atlanta and New Orleans touring colleges.
We'd spent many years living bi coastally from SF to NY, so we knew our hotels, but my new
favorite, hands down, is the Palomar in DC. These folks are consumate professionals!
Amazing staff. Beautiful spotless rooms. Great food. Perfect location. Check in was fast friendly & efficient. The front desk folks got us into our room and ready for dinner with walking directions, a reservation, and even an awsome driver named Richard with advise for traveling to colleges in Maryland the next day. Phillip the concierge is a gem and my new bff! Nick the front desk man was funny, smart, patient, warm and happy to help. The door men actually opened the doors for us, got us cabs, and were just sweet and proactive as they could be.
Night 2 we "ate in" at the hotel's yummy hot spot restaurant, Urbana. We sat at the pizza bar and were treated royally by Jackie our fabulous waitress who also was friendly, funny, interested, and again-quite warm. She knew her menu, and she made us feel like honored guests. We ate like princesses, and were quite taken with the freshness and creativity of the food. For some reason, maybe because we were having such a good time with Jackie,
the chef himself decided to sit and chat with us. We'd had a lot of favorite restaurants in common from SF to NY so it was really fun sharing food experiences with him. I felt like we were at a really great party with a bunch of smart talented friendly people, and where I'd most definetly be welcomed back with open arms! An A PLUS experience all around.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa K
GMPalomar, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

Dear Lisa K. Thank you for your amazing review. We are thrilled to be your “New favorite hotel in the US” and look forward to becoming your favorite hotel in the WORLD after your next visit!

Reviewed March 21, 2012

For the amount of money you pay its not worth it. While the Hotel is beautiful and very clean (as well as having a pleasant staff) you will not get a good nights rest. As other reviews have said the walls are VERY THIN. You can hear people talking in the rooms next to you, EVEN IF YOU STAY ON A HIGHER FLOOR AWAY FROM ELEVATORS it won't matter. I stayed on the 6th floor and could still hear street noise as well as the next room's occupants. The occupants next to me were also smoking. THE SMOKE CAME THROUGH THE BATHROOM WALLS and entered the room. You can also hear when the next room's occupants are showering or using the toilet. The hallway noise is also loud. I would have rather stayed across the street at the Residence Inn for less money and probably would have gotten a better nights rest. Its also pet friendly so that can be an issue for some as well.

Room Tip: Just stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank matt b

Dear matt b. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Palomar. I am pleased that overall, you enjoyed our clean and stylish hotel and wonderful staff. I do apologize that you heard the noise from your neighbors and that they were also smoking – a big No-No in our hotel! We do have locations in the hotel that are quieter due to buildings lay out. Please be sure to request a quiet room so that you are more comfortable during future visits. Thanks again.