“Stylish and Friendly in a Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #30 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Spotsylvania, Virginia
“Stylish and Friendly in a Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

So what is it about Kimpton properties that is so appealing? I think it is the combination of being both stylish and friendly. I have stayed in trendy properties where the staff adopts a "cooler than thou" attitude which is grating. I have stayed in friendly places that were slightly worn. But the combination of attitude and qualtiy is terrific.

The freebies make what would otherwise be an expensive hotel a good value.

When my wife and I arrived, we were greeted at the front desk with a rousing rendition of "Happy Birthday" for my wife (I had mentioned it when making a reservation). But the front desk staff was so cool, the gesture did not seem forced at all. When we got settled, the hotel sent up a bottle of French sparkling wine and a platter of truffles and chocolate covered strawberries, gratis.

The room was huge and clean, and the bathroom was roomy as well (Aveda toiletries a plus). Water pressure was great, and the towels were high quality. As an Kimpton In-touch member I got free wireless and a free item from the mini-bar. There was free coffee in the lobby in the morning and both the Washington Post and the New York Times. Again, I was struck by the concerted effort at friendliness; these guys could give seminars to other hospitality industry staff.

The neighborhood is great: the edge of Dupont Circle within striking distance of Georgetown and Foggy Bottom. We walked to a restaurant and the Kennedy Center.

I got a great rate for a slow time of year: $109.00.

I give this place a slight edge over the Hotel Monaco in Penn Quarter. Hotel Monaco has a slightly friendlier staff and grander public spaces. But the Monaco's rooms are significantly smaller. Room size beats public spaces everytime for me. And while Penn Quarter is great, I give an edge to the Palomar's location which is close to three great areas (Dupont Circle, Georgetown and Foggy Bottom).

Some relatively minor quibbles. Parking is outrageous. I was charged $38.00 plus a "parking tax" that drove it to over $44.00, even more expensive than the Monaco. The fitness center is just O.K. And a bellman was not as carefull as I would have liked in packing our trunk (some very slight damage to an item we had bought earlier). But staying at the Palomar is very comfortable. Unlike other four star properties, you are not charged for every little thing. I did not bring my pet this time, but the no pet fee policy is generous.

Only the Ritz-Carlton rivals Kimpton when it comes to national chains in my experience.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face the street side of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stropertre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

I adored this hotel; have stayed at the Palomar in Chicago as well and it has become my favorite hotel chain. My room was huge and extremely comfortable. Seemed very convenient to everywhere I had to go-- I was there for work and was able to take cabs, but even cab rates seemed reasonable. We will be taking the kids to DC this year and I will not even bother researching other hotels. In my opinion, this hotel is flawless. (Service, amenities, food, comfort, etc!) Top-notch.

Room Tip: I always stay on a higher floor in a city hotel. Room service was great.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Dear sdbBoston_MA,

Thank you so much for your great review and all the recognition! The next time you are in town please let me know. I would love to have a chance to say thank you in person.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Located in Dupont Circle, a great neighborhood for walking and trying local shops and restaurants. Starbucks is 2 doors down. Another great cafe that serves breakfast and lunch items (Soho Cafe) is just across the street. Kramers Books & Afterwords is a nice spot to browse titles and grab a bite inside or on the patio. If you like yoga, try nearby studio Tranquil Space.

The Palomar staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and nicely appointed. They serve complimentary hot cocoa and cider in the lobby in the afternoons as well as providing a wine tasting with light hors de'voeurs during happy hour. Wine and a cheese plate is left in your room in the afternoon and they have turn-down service.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SweetEscapeArtist
Tromssø, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

We spent two nights in this lovely hotel near Dupont Circle. The rooms are huge (at least for an European). The same can be said for the bathrooms. Everything is in good solid quality, and everything worked as it should. The service was far above what we expected, you feel like you are in 5 Star Hotel from the moment you get out of the car. It`s also a nice gesture to the customers to serve free vine and tapas every afternoon. The wine is no more than ordinary, but so what? It`s free and served with a big smile! The area is quiet and clean, and there are some great places to eat and drink. Nice place to start the explorations of D.C for people like us: first time in the city. We walked from the hotel to all the major attractions. I would definitely recommend this hotel!
One negative comment: The breakfast is overpriced in our point of view.

Room Tip: I would recommend one of the standard double rooms. They are more than spacious enough!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

I was looking for fine hotel at the last minute to join a conference in Washington. My hotels of choice eg the Willard, Marriott were booked. I asked my assistant to find something on par and within walking distance to the embassies and historic attractions and of course, the conference.I was booked at the Palomar Hotel (I had never heard of it, but it is part of the Kimton hotel Cain, and I had heard of that chain. It was easy to find using my gps. It was easy to pull into hotel, and the valet staff were very attentive. I did not feel pressured to get bags to the room. Check in smooth, friendly and quick. Room was close to elevator and to my surprise, the rooms were very well insulated for noise and I did not hear a thing, if I did not set an alarm, I would have slept all day. The room was very well appointed and spacious. It had a large up to date flat screen tv with attached DVD player, large functional business desk with many outlets and charging stations. The bed bed was very comfortable, the closets more than adequate and included a safe which was appreciated. The hotel had full room service. Can't wait to go back for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: I would think all rooms are good.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank J G
Dear J G,

Thank you so much for your review! We cannot wait to do it all over again on your next trip. Please let me know if you need any assistance; it will be my pleasure to help.

Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

From the online booking experience to the evening wine grouping to the huge bed to the excellent room service - this hotel is absolutely one of the best!

The rates are fantastic for what you get -- I managed to get a spa king suite for a very low rate considering that the suite itself was about seven times the size of my New York apartment.

The lobby and front desk are gracious and accommodating. The staff very helpful and friendly. Every night there is a complimentary wine gathering by the lobby fireplace and the wines are very nice - not bottom shelf at all. Dogs are welcome as well and the night I was there, a huge Newfoundland was parked in front of the fire. It was fantastic (but I happen to love dogs).

I checked in very early and they accommodated me by storing my luggage without question. The room itself was great -- huge. However, I did notice quite a bit of wear and tear on the walls and furniture. A bit like the hotel rooms I've visited in Vegas - worn edges on tables a d armchairs, rips in wallpaper, etc. it doesn't bother me, but I wanted to note it in case it's something that bothers others.

I was there for rest and relaxation and I got it. I ordered room service (delicious - same menu as the restaurant downstairs and reasonably priced) and had a bath and drifted to sleep on the gargantuan and highly addictive king sized bed. And yes, I had a bottle of wine from the mini bar. Worth it with my membership discount.

All I all, a wonderful experience. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. Without question.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank ehdailey
Dear ehdailey,

Thank you so much for staying with us! I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have a big goal: to provide great service and keep everything sparkly and clean. We realize that high traffic has taken its toll on some of our furniture and wall covering. Fear not; we are on it.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next visit. I will be happy to assist you with your reservation and take the time to say thanks in person.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

My fiancé and I, stayed at the Palomar for 3 nights during the end of December. After a long coach trip from NYC and arriving in the evening we were extremely tired and just wanted to check into our hotel quickly and go to our room to rest.
Unfortunately we had misplaced our hotel voucher but thought that would be no problem as we would be on the central reservation system. This was not the case. When I was asked if I could retrieve this on my email, I asked politely if I could use their PC to do so. I was told yes there was a $5 charge to do so! Considering we were about to check in and were paying guests, we thought this was extremely rude. Luckily a manager said we could use the PC for free and found our reservation had been put under a misspelt name (their fault) for which no apology was offered. While we were looking for the confirmation, we were told that they had found our booking but it was for the wrong dates! Finally, after printing out our confirmation online we were able to check in and get our room key.

Other than the view, the hotel room was great! Very spacious and comfortable! Perfect for either a vacation or work stay and the hotel has a brilliant location. The housekeeping and breakfast staff were great as well.

Unfortunately, after a nice stay, we were again let down by the reception staff upon checkout. Their unfriendly attitude and general coldness to guests left a bad impression with us.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank KMT1978
Dear KMT1978,

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel while visiting Washington DC. I am so sorry about your experience with our reception. What pains me the most is the absence of willingness to help. You definitely have gotten my attention and I will be sure to share your experience with the Staff.
You should always receive the level of service you expect during your stay with us. Thank you so much for your honest feedback. Should any future trip brings you back to Washington, please let me know. I would love to have the chance to personally make sure your next stay is an all out success.