“Good Hotel near Dupont Circle”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #30 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel near Dupont Circle”
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We recently stayed in the Palomar Washington for 2 nights. The overall experience was pretty good. We checked in immediately and depsite being well before the allocated check-in time, we were shown straight to our rooms. However I was left a little disappointed by the rooms to be quite honest, they felt 'a little tired', felt like they could do with a facelift. However they were spacious, comfortable and clean. The staff were fairly helpful and the porters/door staff were particularly helpful. The wine hour was a nice touch but there was inadequate seating for all the guests which let the experience down somewhat. Overall, having recently stayed at the Kimpton hotels in Boston (Nine Zero) and Philadelphia (Palomar) I just felt like this hotel was relatively disappointing in comparison, don't get me wrong, it was a good hotel with good staff but just didn't have the X Factor that other Kimpton hotels provide.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I stayed two nights for a meeting last week, and I wish I had had a chance to stay over a little bit more. Arrived tired a little after five, and before I had finished checking in someone had handed me a glass of wine. The lobby was lovely, with fireplaces and comfortable places to sit, and the wine (and hot toddy) reception was a really welcome way to arrive. Had a great meal in the hotel restaurant, at a decent price with excellent service, then up to the spotlessly clean, quiet, and well appointed room. I had to leave very early, more than an hour before the morning coffee service started, but someone at the desk asked if I would like some and went to the back to get me one. Every time I interacted with the hotel staf, they were friendly, knowledgable, and really helpful- clearly customer service is a top priority here. I would happily come back again if I ever need to be in the area (which looks like it would be great for sightseeing and eating out.)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank D C
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Dear D C,

We are really proud of the warm and genuine atmosphere we create and love that you noticed.

Thank you so much. I will be sure to share your review with the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Fantastic accommodation with top quality service - stayed here 3 nights on business trip out from Australia. Free WiFi if you sign up with Kimpton (free) otherwise only $10USD per day. Rooms are huge, luxurious and well furnished. Location is convenient to the Dupont Circle district. Valet parking is about $40USD per day, but I guess you expect that in the centre of DC.
Check out 'Cafe DC' around the corner too - doesn't look great from the outside (nor the inside for that matter) but food is delicious!
No doubt about it, I'd stay here again when next in DC.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I thought this hotel was truly 1st class. After spending 5 miserable days in the Phila Palomar last year, I was pleasantly surprised by the room spaciousness and friendly staff. I would highly recommend this for families traveling with teens as there is plenty of room to spread out. Some of the items mentioned in recent reviews are true but not enough to alter this review in any way.
It surpasses, by far, the Ritz Carlton in Pentagon City if you are considering that hotel as well.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank leeislegal
Oil City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Spent Saturday Night at the Palomar on business. Wine party was fun. Met very interesting people. The boutique hotel experience makes this a great choice over the large chain hotels. Stayed in a King Spa suite. Maintenance issues with lamp and jacuzzi tub. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were great.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, December 13, 2011
Dear LaurieTravels62,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I was truly pleased that our Team delivered the customer service we are so well known for. I would like to sincerely apologize for the issue you encountered with the Jacuzzi and the lamp. We will be sure to check the room and make all necessary required maintenance. If any future travel brings you back to Washington DC, please do not hesitate to contact me directly; it will be my pleasure to assist you personally.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 12, 2011

It's no surprise this hotel is #1 in Trip advisor! We booked a package on American Airlines Vacations that included the smallest room in the package. The front desk assistant gave us bigger rooms without even asking for them. We are members of the Kimpton program so we also received a $10 voucher to the minibar and free wi-fi. The continental breakfast was adequate for being "continental". The hotel also had little perks like free coffee and tea in the morning. Free hot chocolate from 2-3 p.m. and a free wine reception from 5-6 p.m. I was never able to take advantage of these perks because I always found myself in the other side of the city at these times, but I still think it's a nice thing to have. I definitely recommend the Palomar for your DC visit.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Naty1,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for your continued support of our Hotel. Should you need anything please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It will be my pleasure to assist you.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I stayed here during August. The room was spacious and I liked the modern styling. However, I have two cautions if you book this hotel. The lifts are slow and very small. I landed up having to haul my luggage down several flights of stairs to check out. The person in front of me had already been waiting 20 minutes before I arrived - but could never get in as it was always full. Secondly, check your room isn't next to the ice dispenser...it can be a long night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear Alsace_11,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your trip with us this summer. I am sorry our elevators did not keep our guests moving about rapidly enough. Having to carry luggage down the stairs is really inconvenient. Please accept my sincere apologies. I was pleased to note you enjoyed your guest room.

We hope you visit DC again, so we can welcome you back.