“Outstanding service and outstanding hotel.”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #40 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I have always been a big fan of Kimpton Hotels but I especially like the Palomar in Washington DC. Cool, boutique hotel with a friendly, responsive staff. The location is convenient to METRO, dining and nightlife.

The staff on my recent stay was exceptional and went out of their way for us. I have stayed here before and will most certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thomas_Fraher, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2011

Dear U G,

It was great to note you received excellent service from our friendly staff, and that you enjoyed our location which is close to the Metro transportation system and surrounding nightlife.

We can't wait to welcome you back.

Thomas

Write a ReviewReviews (4,546)

Reviewed November 23, 2011

This is my first review, but it will not be my last. I stay at a lot of places in a typical year, due to my work and because of vacations, so I have some definite requirements for a perfect hotel, a very nice hotel and just a place to sleep at night. Regardless...

The room we stayed in at the Palomar was huge and comfortable. The staff was excellent. The bathroom was nice. The bed was comfortable. The shower was NOT designed for the lollipop guild and had plenty of hot water. The Palomar is conveniently located close to a metro stop and is within easy walking distant to a lot of pretty good restaurants.

I really only had two little issues...

1) The elevators were slow and potentially insufficient for the amount of guests that may have at ay given time.

2) A personal pet peeve... If a hotel spends the money to get flat screen HD TV's, they should probably offer HD offerings. The Palomar did not. Again, this is a minor thing.

Bottom line, I would recommend this place to anybody visiting the D.C. area for either business or pleasure.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear stosboy,

I am delighted you enjoyed your huge guest room with the comfortable bed, and a visually appealing shower with ample hot water. I am sorry our elevators did not meet the demand of all the guests that were with us during your visit. Our HD programming will be available in the first quarter of next year.

We look forward to welcoming you back whether for your next business trip or vacation.

Cordially,

Reviewed November 23, 2011

Where to start?

On balance, this was the best hotel I have ever stayed in and amazing value for money. Anyone who complains about this hotel clearly is the sort of person who tries very hard to look for trouble. The staff were perfect, the rooms and food amazing, and the extra perks they offer were beyond the call of duty.

My father (64) and I (31) visited the Palomar from 19-22 November.

When booking the hotel I found a good deal via Tripadvisor (otel.com) and called the hotel asking them to match the deal for two rooms, which they did. The staff on the phone were pleasant, courteous and responded to all requests. In all, a very easy booking process. The girl who booked forgot to give the $1 breakfast option (and when I emailed a few times I didn't get a response) but when I called the staff helped immediately. TIP: don't email, call.

Check-in and check-out were easy and the staff were perfect.

The rooms were huge, comfortable and lovely. The beds were the same. The bed linen was fresh and smelt wonderful. The bathrooms were great (showers and baths perfect). All fully stocked with Aveda goodies which they replenish every day.

They can give you a yoga mat which I used (there are free yoga/pilates workouts on the tv).

The breakfast (whether for $1 or from the menu) was fresh, delicious and generous. The tea/orange juice/coffee was wonderful. The tea was loose leaf in a pot (better than most hotels/restaurants in England).

The staff were attentive, kind, clever and knew their product. The maids/cleaners did an amazing job every day. The door staff, the same.

There are free wine tasting evenings - we had two glasses of wine at 5:30 pm in the relaxed lobby.

They also have coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the mornings and evenings in the lobby.

We ate at the restaurant on the first night. Great staff, great food. They knew their product. I'm a vegetarian and the waitress even knew that the parmesan was vegetarian. The customers in the bar and restaurant were young to middle-aged professionals (not many hotel guests which is a good sign that they have a great reputation within Washington). The food was fresh and delicious. If you are a total traditionalist then the interesting flavours in the food and the good music may be very slightly challenging. I liked this but we did look elsewhere for food on other evenings. If you want basic food (like salad, steak, pasta) then maybe go somewhere else. My father and I loved it though on other nights we looked for a slightly more traditional fare. There is a great sushi place nearby too. So, great for one evening but good to explore the other food options in the area on other evenings. This is no bad thing. So much better to have an interesting, vibrant restaurant which serves amazing food and has great staff than a tired, old steak bar that caters for unimaginative tastes! The chef came out to talk to guests which is a sign that the staff are accountable for and proud of their product.

The restaurant was possibly the weakest link in the system (and even they were good). They need to jump up that extra 1% to match the hotel reception/general staff. The breakfast staff were generally amazing but we noticed the odd mistake such as not brining the correct drinks and wrong billing (very minor).

The hotel is in a lovely, interesting and vibrant area. Taxis are cheap to the main tourist areas. There is a metro 4 minutes walk away. The gym is great (fresh apples and water on offer). The business room lets you check in online for your flight for free.

The only small negative issues:

My Dad and I requested feather pillows via Kimpton club - Dad got them, I didn't. A very minor issue but I think with multiple bookings they only read the one request. We also asked for tea/coffee facilities in the room which weren't there but when we asked again, they brought them straight up. So - the only comment would be that the booking staff read each request in detail.

The chairs, tables and lifts were a little worn but again, such a minor point compared to the amazingness of everything else.

A 99.5 % rating.

Room Tip: 9th floor, ask for a view and a quiet room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Dear alexicat,

I was pleased to note you enjoyed our vibrant restaurant that serves up fresh and delicious food; however I am sorry for the minor service issues you encountered. I am glad you enjoyed the size and decor of our guest rooms, our evening manager hosted wine reception, and our fitness center. Please accept my apologies for our staff not properly preparing your room with feather pillows.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to DC.

Cordially,

Reviewed November 22, 2011

I generally think that Kimpton Group offers a much better and more interesting experience than the rest of the big chains like Hilton, Mariott, Hyatt, Westin, etc....at a better or comparable price. The decor is usually quirkier, bordering on boutique, and there are nice unique touches if you take the trouble to sign up as a Kimpton Club member...worth doing and no extra cost .
The Palomar DC is probably the weakest of all my experiences so far ( I have stayed in Kimpton Hotels in San Francisco twice, in Chicago, and in New York all of which I loved), mostly because the service was so-so. I had 3 nights there recently- two in October and one in November. The rooms were great ( tiny things didn't work during my October stay, like the Hair Dryer) and check-in and check-out was efficient though ordinary, but it was the service at their Urbana Restaurant that let the brand down....on both visits. It was simply underwhelming and perfunctory. Seems the hotel attracts a bit of a yuppie set who likes to drink and then get rowdy to the point of oblivion on how it impacts other guests. This results in other guests not getting much attention, waiting excessively long for a simple order. During October, the room adjacent to mine was occupied by what seemed to be a hen's party with 20 people in the room and very loud partying way past midnight ( I finally complained to reception at 1 am and whilst security gave the girls the message to zip it up seeing there had already been earlier complaints, it had no impact and the hotel had seemingly no desire to act nor could they offer me an alternate room)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank itchyfeetdownunder

Dear itchyfeetdownunder,

I am sorry you did not enjoy your experiences in our restaurant. Your feedback has been reviewed with the restaurant team in order to improve the service we provide. Please accept my apologies for our Security staff not successfully quieting the activity in the adjacent room upon their first contact with the guests.

Thank you for comments and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

Great service. Great location. Staff works hard to please you.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thomas_Fraher, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Dear jomboy78,

I was delighted to see your comment about our staff. It is certainly our goal to ensure your utmost satisfaction.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

Checking out of the hotel I discovered that they had FRADULENTLY added a charge for parking my car in their garage. My car, of course, was safely home in Omaha, Nebraska. After directly confronting them about it, they removed the charge. I cannot believe that this was an "accident," as they claimed. What keystroke do you "accidently" make in order to do this? You have been warned. Don't stay here.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Sam W
Thomas_Fraher, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Dear Sam W,

Please accept my apologies for a parking charge being added to your room account. I can assure you this was an error and we would never purposely post an erroneous charge to a guest's account. Besides this issue, I do hope you enjoyed your visit with us.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

I recently travelled to washington DC for a mixture of vacation of business.

My wife and I were lucky enough to book accommodation at the Hotel Palomar DC near Dupont Circle in the city.

The hotel was excellent in every way from the first class rooms to the friendly and attentive staff.

The rooms were well appointed with everything you could want from cable TV, free Wi-Fi and luxurious bath robes.

The hotel is situated near to Dupont Circle with a large selection of restaurants and bars. You are alos only 2 or 3 minutes walk to the closest Metro station which is only a couple of stops from the main tourist attractions although they are easily walkable.

Overall, an excellent stay with the evening wine receptions being the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: I was on floor 9, around the side of the hotel which was perfectly quiet but no view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear ramseyiom,

I was pleased you liked your guest room accommodations and found our staff to be friendly during your recent visit. And course it is always nice to finish off the day with a glass of wine in our lobby.

See you again soon,