“Don't miss a drink at the bar”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #33 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reston, Virginia
“Don't miss a drink at the bar”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This is a very nice hotel in a great location but the real stand outs are the service they provide the guests and the BAR. Room was available at check in. Clean and spacious. Hotel pool is nice for a city hotel outside pool - small but very quaint and staff was very friendly. Nice workout facility. And after you do all that, don't miss the fabulous hotel bar - lots of fun. We went out to dinner and decided to go for a night cap - it was the best part of our stay. Good drink selection, very nice setting and people were lots of fun - no one acting too trendy - just good drinks and lots of nice people. Very hopping place. I have to give a shout out to the valet/doormen - they were so friendly and nice and remembered us every time we passed them - always some nice comment to share with us. Our room was nice and quiet as well - quieter than most hotels.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Warren, Ohio
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Staff from the front desk to the Valet were all Very helpful on our recent stay at the Palomar. Everyone goes out of their way to ask if you need help rather than you asking for help from them. We returned one afternoon from a downpour and were soaking wet upon entering the lobby,immediately someone approached and asked if we could use a towel , and within minutes someone appeared with warm towels for us to dry off with. Even though we parked off site at a lot up the street, the Valet helped with advice to help me save monies. The room was very spacious and clean, modern and plenty of closet and drawer space.Overall we had a great expierence at the Palomar.

Room Tip: Look up the Word of The Month on Kimptons website to get a Free Gift
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Avery nice Kimpton property in a wonderful location, Requested a quiet, upper-floor accomadation when I made reservations. Upon arrival "the best they could do was a third-floor, pool-view". Not my idea of quiet, but not a deal-breaker, Did I mention Kimpton properties allow pets? I enjoy the furry friends as much as the next guy, but the Yorky terrier across the hall was programmed to bark and whine every night at 2:00 AM and 5:15 AM. Three nights consecutively! Annoying to say the least. Our personal toiletries were removed from our room the day after our arrival along with the mini-bar key. Did housekeeping think we were checking out? Management replied that they "would look into it and get back to us". Well, we are home now and still haven't "been gotten back to". Will I stay here in the future? Doubtful. There are many hotels in the area that are of equal and//or better value that provide customer service far exceeding our experience at the Palomar.

Room Tip: Spacious, well-maintained rooms. Harsh lighting.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thomas_Fraher, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, August 13, 2011
Hello palmagranite,

Thank you so much for completing a review on TripAdvisor.

I apologize that we were unable to meet your room location preferences due to high occupancy. Yes, we are a pet friendly Hotel and it is unfortunate this impacted your stay negatively. In the future, we do offer two pet free floors that accommodate our guests who prefer an experience without pets near their room. We are also researching your experience with management and apologize nobody contacted you prior to departure.

Even with the challenges, I do hope you will give us another try in the future.

Regards,
Rome
Reviewed August 10, 2011

This was my first Washington visit.
As usual, I chose a TA high ranked hotel, but this time I have to think Palomar is overrated.
Location is fine. Not close to main attractions (White House, Capitol Hill, Memorials), but still in a nice area with lots of restaurants, and a subway stop a quarter of mile from the hotel.
Some letdowns though, not easily forgiveable due to the price.
The lobby and the front staff are nice, but breakfast is not included in rate.
First point. When I pay 3 Benjamin (booked a month in advance. Benjamin would have been 4 if reserved in proximity) for a night (and not in a Mandarin/Four Seasons like hotel) I don't expect the hotel being on the cheap side for a breakfast.

Room was nice and large, but:
1) shampoo was provided, but no shower gel, only soap. You all perfectly know how much is nice having a shower with the soap bar slipping all over. And this wasn't a Motel6
2) I dind't like the sink at all. It was small, and the tap was very long and finishing exactly in the middle of the sink. Using it has been a fight
3) electric plugs were loose. One can happen, but if two are loose (I had to push them every time while pulling out my laptop plug to avoid extracting them from the wall) it's a sloppiness
4) and most annoying. Elevators were extremely slow. Probably their number was inadequate to cover hotel needs, anyway I had to wait a long time every time.
Once I was waiting with another people, realized I forgot an item in my room, went there (far down the hallway), opened the door, found the item, went back... and found the same person still waiting for the lift!!! Almost needless to say, on check-out morning I had to wait the third try to be able to squeeze me and my bags in an elevator full of people. Not nice at all.

So, for my experience and relating it to the price paid, Palomar can be, at least, an average hotel

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank fabry73
Thomas_Fraher, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Hello fabry73,

Thank you very much for completing a review on TripAdvisor regarding your most recent stay.

We appreciate your feedback regarding our in room bath products. We will review feasibility and eco-friendliness of switching to a shower gel. Also, your comments about the room facility issues I do apologize for. Lastly, we are currently investigating the cost associated with upgrading our elevators so they can better accommodate our guests.

I do hope that you will consider us again in the near future.

Regards,
San Francisco
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I enjoyed my stay there. Primarily because of where it is located. Two blocks from Metro and Dupont Circle is a great location. I had stayed here before and they gave me a huge room which I really loved. This time they put me in a European style shoebox. Barely enough room to open up an ironing board. So it was quite claustrophobic and I spent much of my evenings walking around the area which was fun other than the sauna style weather. Note that valet parking which is the ONLY option is $38.00 a day + $4.00 a day for taxes. I had no other choice so I paid it. Other options are to park over near Georgetown for around $19 a day and taxi it back and forth if you need the car. Never did find where the kept the wine bottles for the evening happy hour. Lots of people walking around with wine glasses, but no sign of any place to get a glass of it.

For food on the cheap go to Alberto's Pizza across the street and a block up towards the circle. Also recommend the Saigon Restaurant in the other direction about a 1/2 block down on the same side of the street as the hotel. Starbucks is close as is a small grocery store and a Walgreens on the way to the Metro.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank BrainSnag
Hello BrainSnag,

Thank you very much for submitting a TripAdvisor review.

We offer a variety of accommodation types with varying square footage and room configurations. I do apologize that this most recent stay was not booked for one of our larger room categories. Additionally, our overnight valet parking rate is in line with neighboring hotels of similar style and service level. Our evening manager hosted wine reception is available and complimentary for all our guests from 5pm to 6pm nightly in the Hotel Living Room.

Hopefully, you will return to us for your next visit in DC.

Many Thanks,
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Loved this hotel. I would have given it 5 stars if there hadn't been a noise problem. The location was perfect for us. The lobby and staff were wonderful and friendly. The room was a huge surprise; very spacious and decorated in a contemporary theme. Nice soft thick towels and Aveda products. We stayed for 3 nights. Unfortunately there was a large teen group from Italy staying at the hotel. They were on our floor. I had specifically requested a quiet room. Needless to say we did not sleep until the group checked out. We do not go to bed early but these kids were up till at least 2am. We called the hotel front desk to complain about the noisy kids several times and finally gave up at 1:30am.
The hotel staff did apologize the next morning and gave us vouchers for dinner and drinks. I appreciated the gesture but hope that they try to enforce more stringent rules when youth groups visit. I would have been happy if the kids quieted down by midnight but they were still bouncing off the walls at 1:30am.
This hotel has a free happy hour with wine, olives and crackers, every evening at 5pm. It was fun to relax with family and friends at this gathering. The hotel is located close to the Metro and is very close to some reasonably priced restaurants. There is also a Starbucks on the corner and a bagel shop and crepe restaurant across the street.

Hello Linda5355,

Thank you very much for submitting your comments on TripAdvisor.

Regarding the noise, we certainly appreciate your feedback and have taken it to heart. We cater to a wide variety of travelers to include youths of all ages. However, taking your comments and other guests, we are in the process of reconsidering booking these types of groups. We now understand that they can negatively impact the experience of other guests. Please accept my apologies for the noise issues during your experience.

With our new approach to the business that we decide to take, I hope you will consider us for your next visit to DC.

Cyprus
Reviewed August 7, 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel on the basis of the Trip Advisor reviews and, despite our high expectations, it still managed to exceed them! We stayed here for 5 nights and wished we had booked longer. From the moment we arrived we were treated like valued guests by all the staff - from the smiling and friendly doormen to the efficient and cheerful receptionists. We had a deluxe king room, which was extremely comfortable and left us wanting for nothing - a truly luxurious experience including slippers, bathrobes and Aveda toiletries. The complimentary morning coffee/tea and afternoon sangria/wine and nibbles hour is a really nice touch - something many other hotel chains could learn from. We had breakfast in the restaurant on our last morning and it was delicious - a big selection of very fresh and inviting cereals, fruits and bakery items.
The hotel has an excellent location - we walked everywhere but Dupont Circle Metro station is minutes away making it easy to reach any area of Washington quickly. Dupont Circle itself is worth a wander around and is buzzing during the evening.
We hope to return to the States again next year and, based on our experience at the Palomar, will be looking for the nearest Kimpton hotel to book into!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple