“Fun, Spotless Hotel with Amazing Service”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #75 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
boston, ma
“Fun, Spotless Hotel with Amazing Service”
Reviewed November 12, 2010

Another excellent Kimpton Hotel! We recently stayed at Hotel Rouge. Excellent, excellent service--an employee from the bar who knew that I had a cold later brought a thermos of hot water & tea up to my room (without any request on my part). This is extraordinary service. Service was intelligent and friendly--the staff members talk to you and if you ask a question, someone thinks about it and gives correct and useful advice. And: you will find a spotlessly clean and LARGE room, a comfortable space to sit for two, with a lamp and ottoman, a very comfortable bed and a large closet area. Hotel has lively cocktail hour with wine and snacks. It also has an on-site restaurant/bar open. We didn't eat much in hotel but was more than fine for breakfast. As for location, it's a pleasant 20 min. walk to Smithsonian Mall, easy 5-10 min walk to Dupont Circle. Lots of shopping, restaurants there. Hotel is on quiet, safe feeling street. We had a dog with us. Totally easy to travel with pet at this hotel. This hotel is a gem.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Our first visit to the Hotel Rouge was a year and a half ago. I had to go to DC on business and my family came with me. Since then I have received a constant barrage of requests to go back to the "Red Hotel" from my kids. We had a few days off recently and booked another stay at the last minute. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. The decor is funky and fun. On both stays the rooms have been very spacious. I had the best night sleep that I've had in a hotel in quite some time. The kids are already starting another campaign!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
NYC
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Girlfriend & I stayed here from Fri 11/5 - Sun, 11/7, as a quick weekend get-away for my 33rd birthday. After a long day of work & a 4.5 hrs bus ride, hotel staff greeted us & checked us in quickly, then directed us to a great restaurant. Prior to arriving, Audrey Washington, Guest Services Supervisor, sent "expecting you" e-mail and answered some questions promptly as well as arranging for an unexpectedly pleasant surprise when we went to our room - a complimentary bottle of wine & excellent red velvet cupcakes, as well as hand-written birthday cards. Small things like that make it clear when a hotel cares about its guest's satisfaction. Hotel in great location, room larger that our studio apt in NYC, bed amazing, and entire place very clean. Staff very pleasant at all times. Will definitely return and highly recommended.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 8, 2010

I came to DC for a work conference. My original reservation at the conference hotel (Washington Hilton) was completely screwed up and I did not have a room. I had to quickly find a hotel during the Stewart/Colbert rally weekend and found that the Rouge had a room available online.

I called the hotel and told them about my horrendous Hilton experience. They reassured me they had room and booked me in a king deluxe. The price of my deluxe room was considerably less than the crappy Hilton room I had originally.

When I arrived (which was hours before regular check-in), my room was already ready. It was a FABULOUS room. Large, nicely furnished and immaculate. The staff were the friendliest I have ever encountered in a hotel chain. They even sent me wine and fruit later that night with a personalized note saying they hoped I had a better experience with them compared to the Hilton. I was amazed -- I have never received such personal service in what I would consider an economy type hotel.

Overall, I cannot say enough good things. I have stayed in various Kimptons before and I have never had a bad experience. This one was superb. Next time I need to go to a work conference, I will not fall to the pressure of staying in the conference hotel because they are large and generally dont care about service. I'd rather find a Kimpton nearby and take a taxi...it was much more enjoyable experience.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed November 7, 2010

This was our second stay at the Hotel Rouge, we like it that much. The staff is the friendliest most helpful staff of any place we've stayed. They really seem to want you to feel at home. And we love the whole feel of the place...funky but functional. We didn't know much about it when we first stayed this past spring but it turns out the location is so great, you can walk anywhere in a matter of minutes. I would and have recommended this place to my friends.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HotelManager1315, Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Thank you so much for your positive feedback, we value your opinion. Please visit us again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 5, 2010

My husband and I were recently evacuated from our apartment due to a fire on the upper floors of our building. The Rouge, about two blocks from our apartment building, came through with a complimentary night's stay for us. The staff were perfect - very empathetic and understanding. The room was very clean, the bed comfortable and very artfully decorated. Breakfast was delicious. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Surrey
Reviewed October 30, 2010

A small but friendly hotel--only about 12 minites walk from The White House"The designs are very art decco and colours very bright.
The rooms are big and comfortable.
The staff are very friendly and helpful
We hace just had our second stay there and would be happy to have a third.
As we flew in to DC I dont know about parking
It was about a 10 minute walk to the Metro which is useful to use in DC. We felt very safe there

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HotelManager1315, Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2010
Thank you so much for a great review, please visit us again soon. Thank you for your business.