“Um, maybe nice if you like mice”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #75 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City
“Um, maybe nice if you like mice”
Reviewed July 23, 2007

We found a mouse running around in our room. Luckily we saw it and were able to get a new room on a higher floor. Unfortunately for my friend, she almost went into cardiac arrest at the sight of vermin in our hotel room. The view was of an ugly parking lot, not that I'm there for the view but just something I thought I'd mention. The only reason I'm giving 2 stars instead of 1 is because the manager was very nice. She went out of her way to accommodate us and bought us dinner and dessert in order to make up for the incident.

• Liked — The free dinner
  • Disliked — Mouse in the room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank LFNYC13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Turkish first
New York, NY
Reviewed July 20, 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Rouge the last weekend in June. We were in DC for a wedding. I had lived in DC for seven years, about five years ago, and knew that the Rouge was a funky place to stay in a cool neighborhood. Husband loves Kimptons, so we were definintely going to stay in one of the many Kimptons in DC. We got the best rate at the Rouge.
We checked in on Friday night, easy process, although at first they did not have my husband's Kimpton points in the system, but they quickly fixed it. Our room was huge, although on the second floor, I would have preferred a higher floor, but we got a deeply discounted rate through the hotel's website, so I figured we probably got one of the worst rooms. Everything in the room is very red, and fun! That night we walked up to Thaiphoon, on the further side of Dupont Circle to meet some friends for dinner.
On Saturday, I worked out in the little fitness room, and then we walked back to Dupont to Kramer Books and Afterwords Cafe for brunch. When it was time to head to the wedding in upper NW DC, the hotel staff was helpful in getting us a taxi. That night, after the wedding, we went out with friends around 14th and U street, and then walked back to the hotel. It is walking accessible to all these fun places!
On Sunday, I used the workout room again, and we checked out. They let us keep our bags all day at the hotel while we went to the zoo with friends before our evening flight. We were able to walk to the Metro in Dupont and get up to the zoo area very easily.

We had a great experience at this hotel, mainly cause its a fun place to stay and its location to all the hot spots and the Metro. We did not eat at the hotel, and both mornings we missed the 11am cold pizza and bloody Mary's which are complimentary.

• Liked — location, funky atmosphere
  • Disliked — not much
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Harmony S
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 20, 2007

As a frequent business traveler, I try to find alternatives to the "Big Box" hotels. The Hotel Rouge was great - a nice break from the sterile mega hotels. The rooms are big, the staff is friendly, and the location is great. I thought the red decor would wear on me - but it was tastefully done in a tongue-in-cheek way. A wonderful Whole Foods Market is just 2 blocks away. If you're a walker, 16th Street takes you to the White House in one direction and to Meridian Park in the other. This was my first Kimpton experience & I will try other K hotels based on my experience at the Rouge.

4 Thank gb101
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 7, 2007

I stayed here for one night and it was a decent, comfortable hotel. I don't really get the allure of Kimpton Hotels. This was the 3rd hotel I've stayed at and although they are decent, they are NOT upscale boutique hotels. They are wanna bes. It's like going to Target and thinking you're buying "top of the line" by buying from Isaac Mizrahi line. Smoke and mirrors.
The decor is ultra trendy and chic, but people easily get fooled by this exterior. The QUALITY of everything in the hotel is just mediocre. Nothing lives up to the hype of the Kimpton image.
This hotel seems like an old Howard Johnson that was converted. I stayed in a room with a computer which was a plus. It was a big room with a very very comfortable bed. The bathroom was small, but adequate.
Note to Kimptons Hotel: get a better breakfast. Powdered eggs (at least they tasted like powder) and bad danish don't constitute a $13. charge. However, the room service was very good.
For one or two nights it's totally fine - you'll be quite comfortable and have a good night sleep. If you're on a budget, it's great too. I paid $169 for the night which is GREAT for DC.
And I guess if you are from the suburbs and not used to "city travel" & want to stay at a trendy hotel, but don't want to spend alot of money....it's a GREAT alternative to a Days Inn. But don't expect a 5 star hotel.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Trying too hard to be trendy
Riverview, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2007

My friend and I stayed at the Hotel Rouge June 28th through July 1st for a sightseeing/girls weekend.

We arrived at the hotel later than expected ~ 11:45 PM versus 10:30 PM (our plane was delayed out of TIA)~ upon our arrival we were told they only had a king room available (no double rooms were clean) but we could move rooms the next day. (FYI... we booked a double room months ago.)

The room was large and clean but a tad bit worn. (i.e. wallpaper was peeling in some areas and there was visable wear and tear in general). The bed was very comfortable and large enough for the two of us to sleep as if we had our own beds. The TV had limited channels, I found the lamp/light switches difficult to locate and the A/C was tempermental at times.

The bathroom was small and beat up but very clean. Lots of towels/linens and nice Aveda amenities. There was limited light in the bathroom and, as other reviewers have posted, the shower pressure was not the greatest. The water temp was H-O-T but that's better than cold, right?

The honor bar was a life saver - lots of reasonably (compared to other hotels) priced options such as water, fruit juice and sodas. We could not locate an ice machine on the 10th floor.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They called cabs for us, provided suggestions for dining, even printed out our boarding passes upon our departure.

The bar at the Rouge was nice but small. The decor was fun - leopard print carpet and red walls with weird chairs throughout the lobby and bar. The elevator was similar to a hammered metal so if you drink too much and get in the elevator - keep your eyes closed. (It was even tough to look at the next morning.)

I think I might try a different hotel next time I'm in DC.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed July 1, 2007

I stayed here for business and the location couldn't be better I didn't need a car and used Metro and taxis to get around. The hotel has a really cool look and makes you feel like you are in the know, much better than the standard cookie cutter hotels.
There is free wireless Internet and the bathroom goodies are all great quality, Aveda.

• Liked — Location
1 Thank KingHuskey
Aurora, Ohio
Reviewed June 25, 2007

My wife and I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights for a belated celebration of our anniversary and were at times impressed and at other times let down. If I could rate them 3 and 1/2 I would. I called ahead and asked if they could provide something nice for our arrival, since we were coming for our anniversary and they delivered (like other Kimpton hotels we've stayed at have as well). They greeted us at the front desk with a "happy anniversary" and a bottle of wine in our room. The decor is great! Fun and young would be my description. The room was huge and the bed comfortable. The bar downstairs is also a big plus. Downsides: TV remote did not work correctly and I had to call to have someone come up to fix it. The water temperature is all over the place and I found it difficult to find one that suited me. We booked a room with a computer and had some trouble getting on the internet (cords were not hooked up). Also, the phone was unplugged. Like I said, if I could I would give this 3 and 1/2, but I think I would opt for another Kimpton in the area, but that being said, I WOULD stay here again. It wasn't a disaster. Oh, and the elevators...they will make you feel like you're in the dream sequence from "Twin Peaks!"

• Liked — Staff assistance
  • Disliked — Shower
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple