“Has a fun vibe...”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #84 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 2, 2007

My friend and I stayed at the Hotel Rouge June 28th through July 1st for a sightseeing/girls weekend.

We arrived at the hotel later than expected ~ 11:45 PM versus 10:30 PM (our plane was delayed out of TIA)~ upon our arrival we were told they only had a king room available (no double rooms were clean) but we could move rooms the next day. (FYI... we booked a double room months ago.)

The room was large and clean but a tad bit worn. (i.e. wallpaper was peeling in some areas and there was visable wear and tear in general). The bed was very comfortable and large enough for the two of us to sleep as if we had our own beds. The TV had limited channels, I found the lamp/light switches difficult to locate and the A/C was tempermental at times.

The bathroom was small and beat up but very clean. Lots of towels/linens and nice Aveda amenities. There was limited light in the bathroom and, as other reviewers have posted, the shower pressure was not the greatest. The water temp was H-O-T but that's better than cold, right?

The honor bar was a life saver - lots of reasonably (compared to other hotels) priced options such as water, fruit juice and sodas. We could not locate an ice machine on the 10th floor.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They called cabs for us, provided suggestions for dining, even printed out our boarding passes upon our departure.

The bar at the Rouge was nice but small. The decor was fun - leopard print carpet and red walls with weird chairs throughout the lobby and bar. The elevator was similar to a hammered metal so if you drink too much and get in the elevator - keep your eyes closed. (It was even tough to look at the next morning.)

I think I might try a different hotel next time I'm in DC.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 1, 2007

I stayed here for business and the location couldn't be better I didn't need a car and used Metro and taxis to get around. The hotel has a really cool look and makes you feel like you are in the know, much better than the standard cookie cutter hotels.
There is free wireless Internet and the bathroom goodies are all great quality, Aveda.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank KingHuskey
Reviewed June 25, 2007

My wife and I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights for a belated celebration of our anniversary and were at times impressed and at other times let down. If I could rate them 3 and 1/2 I would. I called ahead and asked if they could provide something nice for our arrival, since we were coming for our anniversary and they delivered (like other Kimpton hotels we've stayed at have as well). They greeted us at the front desk with a "happy anniversary" and a bottle of wine in our room. The decor is great! Fun and young would be my description. The room was huge and the bed comfortable. The bar downstairs is also a big plus. Downsides: TV remote did not work correctly and I had to call to have someone come up to fix it. The water temperature is all over the place and I found it difficult to find one that suited me. We booked a room with a computer and had some trouble getting on the internet (cords were not hooked up). Also, the phone was unplugged. Like I said, if I could I would give this 3 and 1/2, but I think I would opt for another Kimpton in the area, but that being said, I WOULD stay here again. It wasn't a disaster. Oh, and the elevators...they will make you feel like you're in the dream sequence from "Twin Peaks!"

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2007

We booked the Rouge for a business function and it was my first time there. I am a big fan of Kimpton properties, but this one has a little bit of a "cheap" feeling to it. Maybe for business the red lighting and statues with red feather boas for decor were a little much! Location is good, and the staff was friendly and accomodating, that I will say. We had a function in the Bar Rouge that went well, although the bar area was very long & narrow and there was not a lot of room to move around when everyone was standing up. The decor is a little over the top, and the rooms themselves are enormous, but the bathrooms are really small! It must be an older building because we had trouble with the water temperature the entire time, and some of the fixtures in the bathrooms did not work very well (shower head, drain, etc.). Overall my stay was okay, but I would probably opt for another Kimpton property in the area next time.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank viajera79
Reviewed May 16, 2007

While attending a conference, the hotels were going fast, and I couldn't select anything I was familiar with, so I made a reservation
here (fortunately my husband was traveling with me). It looked kind of funky online, retro and all - I wasn't sure about it. Anyway, it exceeded our expectations. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. Sam - the (female) bartender is great!! I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank HayOhio
Reviewed May 14, 2007

I have stayed at The Rouge with my boyfriend twice in the last year. Big fans of Kimpton Group hotels, we had thought we'd stay at different properties owned by the company in Washington, but The Rouge is so ideal (location, room size, vibe) that we stayed there twice in a row.

Kimptons are boutique hotels - each has it's own style. The Rouge is, as the name suggests, red everywhere. The lights are low and lounge-like. The check in desk is small and the staff is friendly. We know DC, so we didn't need too much help, but the one time we asked them for a lunch suggestion, they came through. The bar is small, but plush. It can get a little loud at times, so go early if you want to cozy up to someone with a nice beverage.

The rooms are very large and well furnished. The long desk is great for spreading out, though I've never tried to do any work in a room here. The desk also has a large surge suppressor (great for the cell, iPod, etc.). The far wall is all windows, but thick, velvet drapes block out the light 100% if drawn. The beds are comfortable, but I personally would have liked more than a sheet and light duvet for blankets.

The bathrooms are were a little wear is evident (this is one of the older Kimpton hotels in DC). Nothing is dramatically wrong with the bathrooms, you'll just notice that the faucets wiggle a little or the shelves have some scratches.

Outside the bathroom is a little hallway with a large, metal bureau. Half of it is drawers (some very deep) and the other half is for the honor bar and fridge. Both times we've stayed at The Rouge, we've emptied the fridge and put our own beverages in it (no objections from housekeeping or management).

The location of The Rouge is great - just a few block from Dupont, but far enough away that there isn't much traffic on the block. However, it is just off Scott Circle (or maybe a different circle) and I imagine that someone unfamiliar with DC driving would have some trouble driving into it.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank OnceMoreIBeatSunrise
Reviewed May 10, 2007

This place is really an assault on the eyes - garishness is everywhere, but in a deliberate stylish way that puts a smile on your face. Leopard print carpets, ridiculous robes in the room - its all done for fun and works.

Big rooms, great location, great value. Sociable atmosphere. Best for couples and party going groups.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple