“Good for business stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cambridge, MA, USA
“Good for business stay”
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Stayed with my wife for 3 nights for computer training across the street. Rooms were large and comfortable, clean and quiet. Rouge theme meant that red was prominent in the room decor, but not garish. Desk staff were all young, enthusiastic, and helpful. Highlights were the free wine hours each weekday afternoon, and the Rouge bar that opened afterwards. The only downsides were the expensive breakfast buffet (around $19 for the full buffet,) and the distance required to cover in walking up to Dupont Circle, or to any dining establishments. Overall, great for business trip; a little far from any Metro stops or bus lines for tourist stays for a hotel this expensive.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2009
Hello LeeCornelison,

Thank you for staying. I see you were here for a training and your wife joined you also. I am glad that you liked the larger room and the red décor. I know that the front desk staff will be pleased to hear that they were enthusiastic and helpful. They work hard to make sure that every guest has a great stay! I apologize that you didn’t like the price of the breakfast and the distance to get to Dupont Circle. However, I see you liked your stay overall. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Turkish first
dublin
Reviewed November 13, 2009

I stayed here for 4 days with my parents and partner and found the location to be good for sightseeing, (best breakfast on Dupont circle is in the Dupont hotel). room was good, a bit noisy and we had a toilet problem but that was sorted very quickly. what irritated me was the dining/bar/lounge area is all the same and a bit dingy certainly not suited for the elderly. Good value room in an expensive city though.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
California
Reviewed November 4, 2009

My room at Hotel Rouge was huge and nicely decorated. They put me in a quiet room, per my request, but it wasn't too quiet. A mildly irritating peeping and humming sound was persistent throughout my stay. I think it was the automatic car lot gate out back and the elevator. I wasn't too fussed as I didn't complain or try to change rooms.

The staff was extraordinarily friendly and helpful. The location was fantastic. It's just right down the street from the White House. There is a Whole Foods market around the corner that serves a breakfast buffet for about $8. I thought it was a good deal compared to the price of breakfast around town.

I would stay here again and I would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2009
Hello Vermiscious_knid,

I am glad that you liked your huge room and that it was nicely decorated. I do apologize that although you asked for a quiet room the one you got did not meet your expectations. However, I see the staff were friendly and helpful. I hope given the opportunity they were able to assist with your noise complaint. Thank you for staying and please come back again.
Columbus, OH
Reviewed October 26, 2009

As first time visitors to DC, we chose this hotel based on the Web description and rate. The bellstaff, front desk staff and breakfast room attendants were great. They were friendly, very customer service oriented. and did their jobs accurately and efficiently. Unfortunately, we couldn' say the same for the housekeeping staff as we, on two occasions, had to ask for items that were not replentished from the previous day. Our room was large and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was very small. A Boutique Hotel is defined as a small luxury hotel often located in a fashionable location. I guess 137 rooms might be considered a small property; and, the side streets gave us the impression that the town houses and appartments were in a fashionable, but not necessarily a high end ,location. We did not, however, expect to b staying in a converted apartment building that was far from, in our opinion, luxurious. The decor that the Website was so excited about could have really stood out-if it wasn't so cheap looking. The funky lamps in our room looked like they came from a Thrift Store, and the seating areas in the lobby and bar, while hip to some, came up short on comfort and function. The Web description of the bar said it was the hip place to be in the evening-crowded but not so loud that one couldn't carry on a conversation. Wrong! It was wall to wall people and the noise level was off the charts. We had wanted to have one of the signature cocktails and eat in the bar (no dining room)-ibut it never happened. Lastly, the walking distance to the DuPont Circle Metro was not unreasonable; however, don't expect a short walk to major DC atttractions.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Hotel Rouge is a stylish, urban destination for the discerning traveler on a budget. Complementary coffee is available in the hotel restaurant in the mornings. This was the second time I've stayed here, and I'd recommend this hotel to any of my friends or professional contacts. If you appreciate a hotel experience that offers something more than a comfy place to sleep, then the sleek, sexy interior design of Hotel Rouge gives you more value for your travel dollar.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2009
Hello FollowThisBird,

Thank you for staying with us. Your description of the hotel is true. We are stylish and urban and certainly popular with business travelers as well as our leisure guests. We appreciate you coming back a second time, thank you so much for your continued patronage. We will be pleased to serve you again!
dc
Reviewed October 8, 2009

OK for price. The room was what I expected; the bathroom wasn't so nice but it didn't matter because we were there for 12 hours and our priority was to sleep not take a nice bath.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello Mizrachij,

Thank you for celebrating your special day with us. I am glad you liked the price of the hotel and also the room. However, I apologize that the bathroom didn’t meet your expectations. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed September 29, 2009

This place is great - huge rooms, good service, lots of nice perks, not too pricey, well located and just really pleasant to stay in... the only really minor thing I didn't like was the shower pressure, but I guess not much can be done about that. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2009
Hello brunsky,

I am glad you liked the Hotel Rouge. I apologize about the shower pressure. But I am happy you like the many perks the hotel offered during your stay. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!