“Incredible service, huge room, great value, and a few minor complaints”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #75 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Orlando, FL
“Incredible service, huge room, great value, and a few minor complaints”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

The service here really stands out, and Lily Moss should be promoted high within the Kimpton chain, as she was hands down the friendliest and most competent hotel desk person I've ever encountered. The rooms here are large and comfortable, but the shower, room service, room temperature, and tv channels all leave something to be desired. I still would highly recommend this hotel, especially at the rate we paid of $86/night.

The room:

The room is huge for a large city hotel and I really appreciated the layout. As soon as you walk in, there was a parlor to the left with a large orange drawer set and mini bar and then the small bathroom behind the parlor. As you walked past the parlor, there was a large closet on the left and then further past the closet it opened into the large bedroom area and expansive windows looking out onto 16th street.

The bathroom was small but stylish and I appreciated the three glass shelves to store your toiletries. The downside here was the shower in the shower/tub combo. The water pressure was dismal, and I hope that whenever they redo their bathrooms they will invest in a better shower head to increase pressure. Also, another guest said his room had only a walk in shower, so you may want to request that, though that may have been an accessible room.

The mini bar was convenient, but I wish we just had an empty fridge. It also would have been fun if the mini bar had local items rather than standard coke products and m&ms but it was still nice to have there in case we were thirsty since the hotel doesn't have vending machines (they have ice machines on three of the floors).

The closet was sufficient, but the safe inside the closet couldn't fit my 17" macbook pro no matter how I tried. They also give you plenty of hangers, which is great since so often there is a shortage.

The bed was very comfortable, being firm enough for support but soft enough to sink a little into. The bed linens were comfortable. This isn't the nicest hotel bed I've stayed in, but it was more than comfortable and I slept very well.

The television is a large flat panel HDTV-type of Tv, though it doesn't receive high definition and it only gets about 10 channels, so unless your show is on a major network, make sure you set your DVR at home. You can buy a bunch of movies if you want, though we didn't watch much TV other than Wimbledon on nbc.

The room also comes equipped with a stereo, and I love when hotels give you this because it's so much nicer to chill out at the end of the day to music rather than the drone of the tv. It is a CD stereo and there's not an ipod hookup, but I just burned a cd on my laptop and played that.

The view is nice out onto 16th street, and we looked directly onto a very old church. The hotel is only 10 stories and so are the buildings that are close by, so you're not going to get any sweeping views of the city. It appeared that the view is probably better onto 16th street than the rooms on the other side, which seem to look onto a parking lot and the backs of other buildings.

The only other thing that was less than perfect in the room was the temperature control, which seemed to really struggle with getting the room cold even though it was only a high of 80 degrees outside. I wonder if the rooms aren't sweltering on one of DC 100 degree summer days. We turned the temperature down to 65 and it never felt cold in the room. It wasn't uncomfortably hot, but a bit warm.

Also worth noting is that the hallways, while stylish, seemed to lack proper ventilation. They smelled a little musty. Not so much so that it was gross, but they probably need to re-ventilate the halls.

Restaurant/Room Service

While the restaurant/bar is very stylish, it is small and so is its menu. I suppose it's better than having nothing, but we never ordered room service or ate in the restaurant due to the lack of choice. Additionally, they only serve breakfast for a few hours in the morning and dinner for a few hours at night. Worry not, there's a fantastic solution...whole foods market with a huge selection of prepared foods and dinners is literally around the corner. We went there twice over three days -- very convenient.

They also have complimentary organic tea and coffee in the mornings, which was very good, and complimentary wine at 5pm I think, though we never made it back to the hotel that early. Also, on weekend mornings they have complimentary bloody marys and cold pizza, both of which were excellent (they have the pizza delivered). I thought this was a very fun thing for a hotel to do.

Service was incredible. When we arrived at 9am (early flight), our room was already ready for us with a personal note inside. The front desk clerk was so friendly and helpful. What really got my attention was the next morning trying to print tickets to the capitol tour and Lily Moss, a front desk clerk, offered to print them at the desk so we wouldn't have to pay to get onto their business center (btw, for some reason they charge $5 per 15 minutes on their lobby computer and $1 per page of printing). She handled my email along with another guest at the same time seamlessly and did so with such an upbeat attitude. She just really seemed to like what she did, plus she was great at multitasking, and I really think the hotel is overlooking someone if they don't promote her.

A small complaint is that maid service is only available for a few hours during the afternoon. We had a do not disturb sign on our room for a nap, so we didn't get our room cleaned on our second day. I called down to ask about changing out our towels, which was not a problem. The weird thing was that later that night when we returned, we found a pile of towels leaning against our door. It was odd to me that they would deliver the towels and just put them at the door.

Location

The location of the hotel is fantastic, unless you want to be extremely close to mass transit. Still, the dupont metro and faraguat north were both about a 10 minute walk through a nice neighborhood. Both those are on the red line, and if you walk a few blocks further, you can connect to the blue and yellow lines. The hotel is also easy walking distance to the white house and the rest of tourist central DC, and is still walking distance to adams morgan and the U street corridor as well.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel if you get a great rate and if it's not going to be 100 degrees in DC, because I definitely have a concern that the room would be uncomfortably hot if the weather outside were over 90, and trying to sleep in a hot room is never fun. But the rooms are huge, comfortable and stylish (other than the popcorn ceilings). The service is incredible, especially if you get to deal with Lily. The location is convenient to pretty much everything. Go on a weekend and have fun with the pizza and bloody marys in the morning.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2009
Hello FLtraveller76,

Thank you so much for the positive comment. I know that Lily as well as everyone else at the hotel will be pleased to hear they made a positive impression. It is so important to all of us that each and every guest feels at home, welcome and comfortable. Kudos to Lily for being the embodiment of this guest service. Thank you for staying and I will pass your comments along to the staff. Have a great day and come back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I really liked the Hotel Rouge. Picked on the basis of fellow trip advisors, it introduced me to a chain I think I could love - the Klimpton Hotels. They all look so cool and kitschy! The hotel is all red feature walls, animal print carpet and funky prints. A nice change from the homogeneous world of most motels.

The room we had was huge (especially just having come from NY), with two Queen size beds, a big TV and desk and chair. I imagine that if you needed to work, it would be excellent. The bathroom was a little underwhelming, but was clean and functional. The beds were super comfy.

The hotel has helpful extras, like the ability to get a sewing kit or toothbrush for free if you'd forgotten yours and the ability to buy extras like razors or tweezers if needed. They also supplied cool animal print robes (the ones in our room were sadly a little past their prime). You could also buy funky animal print PJ's. It may feel a little product placement for some (there was a catalog with most of the room's furniture!) but I liked it - especially given it was clear what was free, and what was extra - no sneaky charges!

They also have free drinks in the foyer in the evening. We skipped it, as the foyer was a funny place for drinks and the crowd looked a little old, but its a cool concept all the same.

The area was not, on first blush, super exciting. However, there was a subway about 5-10 mins away, and some pubs and restaurants a few blocks away - as well as a wholefoods and a rite-aid if you needed some essentials. The hotel was walking distance (a 15-20 min) walk to the Whitehouse and then onto the mall ect.

The room came with wi-fi internet, but it was a massive hassle to log in because you had to register (a bigger pain if you're doing it on a phone or PDA) and provide a heap of personal information to get the free wi-fi. That was probably the only downer to the place.

The staff were helpful and provided a map, directions and restaurant suggestions. Unfortunately they could not tell me anything about the buses, which appeared to the better way to get around - given that they went more places that the Metro and stopped closer to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aussiegirl3000
Hello aussiegirl3000,

Thanks for staying. I am glad you gave us a chance. And that we didn’t disappoint. I am glad that you liked the décor and the room. I agree the beds are really comfy. It seems like you enjoyed the many amenities and services offered at the hotel. Which are there for your pleasure. Thank you for staying and come back again soon!
Danville, CA
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I've stayed at other Kimpton Hotels and this is a solidly run, friendly Kimpton. My wife and I were visiting our son who is living nearby. The plusses: Attentive staff, great price, clean, large comfortable room. The minusses, all I consider relatively minor: (Satellite) TV lost signal often (and not all channels available), not sure if there was supposed to be an operating bathroom exhaust fan or not, spartan furniture. We had a little adventure turning on the lights in the room the first time.

Excellent Staff: (1) We had a very early departure (4:30am --- ugh!), but we asked for a taxi to be there and it was. (2) Our toilet stopped up but there was a guy with a plumber's helper within minutes to correct and no problems thereafter (hey, toilets can get stopped in the George V in Paris!). They responded, fixed it, and got out. (3) Our bill was ready and correct when we departed.

We generally don't go to a particular hotel to enjoy the amenities. We didn't try the bar or room service. This hotel provided a great value, was clean and close enough to the DC sights (but there are other hotels closer to the Mall).

I have no reservations about recommending this hotel for the value conscious traveller.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TreasuryGuy
San Diego
Reviewed July 5, 2009

My experience at the Rouge was extremely positive, despite difficult circumstances. With the computers temporarily down when my mother and I checked in, the staff worked in overdrive to get us into our room (along with several other parties who arrived around the same time). Josh went out of his way to make sure that we were happy with our room and checked up on us throughout our stay.

The room was clean, well decorated, and nicely appointed. Our room had a beautiful view of a church's stained glass window across the street that glowed at night; it was really magical.

The hotel is conveniently located near Dupont Circle, the White House, and the U St. corridor. It also was only a block from Whole Foods, which we went to on more than one occasion for breakfast and/or lunch. It was an ideal base from which to explore the city.

I would highly recommend the Rouge-- reasonable price, great location, friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank sparklemotion18
Hello Sparklemotion18,

I must apologize for the computers being down but you were in good hands with Josh. I am glad that he did all he could to expedite the check in and ensure that you were comfortable. It seems you have a fond memory of the Rouge to take with you, that of the church across the street. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I do hope that you will come back again soon!
Upstate NY
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Kimpton Hotels are a trendy boutique chain -- which is a bit of a contradiction. They aim for boutique style (bold colors and designs, signature details like the happy hour, free wireless if you give them your e-mail address). But they are a chain. As it happens, I've stayed in two this month -- this one, and one in Boston. Both times someone else made the reservations, so it's not my choice. I have no idea what rates were paid, but in both cases my hosts tend to find the best deal nearby, so it was probably OK. Both were fine places -- newly built or renovated, comfortable beds, decent reading lights, good working desks. I'm not looking for luxury plush in a business hotel, so I find them fine. Here at Hotel Rouge, fitness room was pretty limited -- one treadmill, one elliptical, a weight bench. I found the staff here very friendly and helpful -- a couple of my colleagues checked in about 10 pm on a Sunday night and the staff recommended some local restaurants that would be open at that hour (instead of pushing us into the hotel's restaurant). I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here, but I wouldn't turn it down, either.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2009
Hello PCST,

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you gave your stamp of approval as a business traveler. Kimpton hotels certainly try to make all our guests comfortable whatever endeavors bring them to the hotel. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Rouge with my husband on a very brief trip to DC. I had a meeting to attend and we decided to make a day of it. Overall the hotel was great for our purposes. The room was huge and overlooked the Cherry trees on the street. Everything was clean and nice. The front desk was helpful when I checked in and they were nice enough to hold our bags the next day while we walked all over town. We're from New York so we're used to walking and we found the location perfect. We found Dupont Circle to be very easy walking, and there is a Whole Foods as well as a nice Ethiopian restaurant (which seems to be THE cuisine to have in DC) close by. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Hello gabklyn,

I am glad that the hotel was great for your purposes. Thanks for the comments about the large room and the helpful front desk staff. I know they work hard to be helpful. I am glad that you chose to stay with us and would visit again soon. See you next time!
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Firstly having read other reviews we were not sure about the efficiency and demeanour of staff but can only say that our experience was positive with a warm welcome from the receptionist on duty and on most occasions when returning from a day/evening out we received a friendly greeting from staff in the reception area. Check in was simple and efficient and checking out was similarly effective.

The hotel is nicely located and is a short walk to most of the sites that any tourist would wish to see, incidentally one evening it started to rain lightly as we were about to leave so the receptionist pointed out that a mid size umbrella is supplied in each room which was very useful and a nice touch.

The rooms are clean, well appointed, nicely decorated and a good size and were cleaned to a good standard each day, we experienced very little noise as the hotel is in a quiet and safe neighbourhood of Washington.

The only negative point is the $16 we were charged per person for a continental breakfast which comprised a slice of toast/bagel, coffee, juice and fruit, the absence of other guests having breakfast should have been a clue!! Hence we only ate in the hotel on one morning as we could get a full breakfast elsewhere for a lot less!

This hotel provides good value and has well appointed rooms, although not in the hub of Central Washington it is in a good location within easy reach of Dupont Circle for dining and eateries and as already stated walking distance to most of the major sites, and makes an ideal base for a tourist.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello Chasbee,

I am glad that you had a positive stay and a warm welcome from the hotel staff. I see you utilized the in room amenities such as the umbrella. We are located in a good neighborhood. Thanks for staying and come back again soon!