“Excellent Location, Extremely Friendly Staff”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #76 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Diego
“Excellent Location, Extremely Friendly Staff”
Reviewed July 5, 2009

My experience at the Rouge was extremely positive, despite difficult circumstances. With the computers temporarily down when my mother and I checked in, the staff worked in overdrive to get us into our room (along with several other parties who arrived around the same time). Josh went out of his way to make sure that we were happy with our room and checked up on us throughout our stay.

The room was clean, well decorated, and nicely appointed. Our room had a beautiful view of a church's stained glass window across the street that glowed at night; it was really magical.

The hotel is conveniently located near Dupont Circle, the White House, and the U St. corridor. It also was only a block from Whole Foods, which we went to on more than one occasion for breakfast and/or lunch. It was an ideal base from which to explore the city.

I would highly recommend the Rouge-- reasonable price, great location, friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank sparklemotion18
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2009
Hello Sparklemotion18,

I must apologize for the computers being down but you were in good hands with Josh. I am glad that he did all he could to expedite the check in and ensure that you were comfortable. It seems you have a fond memory of the Rouge to take with you, that of the church across the street. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I do hope that you will come back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Turkish first
Upstate NY
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Kimpton Hotels are a trendy boutique chain -- which is a bit of a contradiction. They aim for boutique style (bold colors and designs, signature details like the happy hour, free wireless if you give them your e-mail address). But they are a chain. As it happens, I've stayed in two this month -- this one, and one in Boston. Both times someone else made the reservations, so it's not my choice. I have no idea what rates were paid, but in both cases my hosts tend to find the best deal nearby, so it was probably OK. Both were fine places -- newly built or renovated, comfortable beds, decent reading lights, good working desks. I'm not looking for luxury plush in a business hotel, so I find them fine. Here at Hotel Rouge, fitness room was pretty limited -- one treadmill, one elliptical, a weight bench. I found the staff here very friendly and helpful -- a couple of my colleagues checked in about 10 pm on a Sunday night and the staff recommended some local restaurants that would be open at that hour (instead of pushing us into the hotel's restaurant). I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here, but I wouldn't turn it down, either.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2009
Hello PCST,

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you gave your stamp of approval as a business traveler. Kimpton hotels certainly try to make all our guests comfortable whatever endeavors bring them to the hotel. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Rouge with my husband on a very brief trip to DC. I had a meeting to attend and we decided to make a day of it. Overall the hotel was great for our purposes. The room was huge and overlooked the Cherry trees on the street. Everything was clean and nice. The front desk was helpful when I checked in and they were nice enough to hold our bags the next day while we walked all over town. We're from New York so we're used to walking and we found the location perfect. We found Dupont Circle to be very easy walking, and there is a Whole Foods as well as a nice Ethiopian restaurant (which seems to be THE cuisine to have in DC) close by. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Hello gabklyn,

I am glad that the hotel was great for your purposes. Thanks for the comments about the large room and the helpful front desk staff. I know they work hard to be helpful. I am glad that you chose to stay with us and would visit again soon. See you next time!
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Firstly having read other reviews we were not sure about the efficiency and demeanour of staff but can only say that our experience was positive with a warm welcome from the receptionist on duty and on most occasions when returning from a day/evening out we received a friendly greeting from staff in the reception area. Check in was simple and efficient and checking out was similarly effective.

The hotel is nicely located and is a short walk to most of the sites that any tourist would wish to see, incidentally one evening it started to rain lightly as we were about to leave so the receptionist pointed out that a mid size umbrella is supplied in each room which was very useful and a nice touch.

The rooms are clean, well appointed, nicely decorated and a good size and were cleaned to a good standard each day, we experienced very little noise as the hotel is in a quiet and safe neighbourhood of Washington.

The only negative point is the $16 we were charged per person for a continental breakfast which comprised a slice of toast/bagel, coffee, juice and fruit, the absence of other guests having breakfast should have been a clue!! Hence we only ate in the hotel on one morning as we could get a full breakfast elsewhere for a lot less!

This hotel provides good value and has well appointed rooms, although not in the hub of Central Washington it is in a good location within easy reach of Dupont Circle for dining and eateries and as already stated walking distance to most of the major sites, and makes an ideal base for a tourist.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello Chasbee,

I am glad that you had a positive stay and a warm welcome from the hotel staff. I see you utilized the in room amenities such as the umbrella. We are located in a good neighborhood. Thanks for staying and come back again soon!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 20, 2009

My two girlfriends and I stayed here in June 2009 and had a blast! We rode the Metro into Dupont Circle and walked to the hotel - only a few blocks away. We were able to get to the hotel in just a few minutes. The hotel was in a great neighborhood and was very quiet. We loved the area and great selection of restaurants nearby. The concierge gave us great recommendations and we were never disappointed. The entire service staff were extremely polite and very friendly. We liked having the bar open when we came back from sightseeing - it was a lot of fun to sit in the "Dark" room and just relax after a long day. The hotel was very well appointed and our room was very large - big enough for us to "chill out" and have a "girl-cation". We were treated like VIPs and would return again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Hello CoasterKaren,

Thanks for staying with us. I see you use the metro which is located about three blocks away. I too like this neighborhood. There are lots of places to hang out and dine. Thanks for staying. See you again soon!
England
Reviewed June 7, 2009

We found the service to be very good and helpful during our stay in Washington.
The location was Ok, walkable to the whitehouse or to the Dupont circle underground.

We found the room to be larger than normal which was a nice suprise and like other guests have mentioned we liked the wine hour of 5 - 6 - a good end to a day sightseeing!

Also there are lots of cafes and restaurants just one block over on 17th street to make a lovely location for the evenings.

We would defnintely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2009
Hello Joanne35.

Thank for your staying. I see that the staff made a great impression on you. I know that they will be excited to hear it. I see you were also able to make use of our central location and got to and from the White House and Dupont Circle Metro easily. Thanks for visiting and please come back again soon!
arnhem
Reviewed June 5, 2009

We were in this hotel in may, and my husband came back to washington and stayed again in this wonderful hotel. (we are from Holland) When you arrive they will bring your car to a parkingplace. The staff on the desk was very friendly and helpfull. the hotel lobby is not big, but it is very charming. And the room, wow very big and very good decorated. And i like the bathoil and so on. I enjoyed every minute in this room. When i ever go back to washington i will certainly visit this hotel again. Thanks for the nice stay we had in your hotel!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Hello Stokstaartje,

Thank you so much for returning to us barely a month after you left. We really appreciate you coming back to us and leaving comments for others to read on TripAdvisor. Thank you so much and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!