“We blew our tire... and the Rouge almost blew it!”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #76 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
A TripAdvisor Member
“We blew our tire... and the Rouge almost blew it!”
Reviewed April 6, 2005

I was headed to DC for an art conference and the conference hotel was completely booked. A gamble at Priceline got me the luxurious Hotel Rouge on 16th street, just three blocks from my conference. My fellow attendees and I were driving from Wisconsin and blew out a tire on the tollway in Indiana. After changing the tire and then driving to get a new one, we found ourselves set back three or four hours. There was no way we would be making it to DC that night as we had originally planned.

I phoned the Rouge two times that evening, to let them know of our predicament. So you can imagine my surprise the next day, when the folks at the front desk were scratching their heads and saying, "Are you SURE you had a reservation here?!?!?"

Apparently, despite the fact that I had called to let them know I would be arriving late, someone just assumed that I wasn't coming at all, and cancelled the rooms I had reserved for FIVE NIGHTS!

At first we were told that they were overbooked and had no rooms to offer us. That they could set us up in a neighboring hotel for the night, but that we would have to pay the $200 for the new room. This was, of course, unacceptable since we had already PAID for the hotel through priceline, and the room cancellation wasn't our fault.

Eventually, we reached a deal. They would finance our stay at the neighboring hotel for the night, then we would return to the Rouge for the following nights, having been upgraded to one of their specialty rooms.

After all of that mess, the hotel turned out to be very nice. The staff was very attentive and incredibly friendly. The rooms are great, especially if you're into all things hip... and red.

They have a free wine/beer happy hour in the lobby every evening, and the swanky adjoining bar is a great place to mull over hotel mishaps and blown tires.

I highly recommend the Hotel Rouge... just make sure they know you're coming!

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 17, 2005

This is one hotel in DC that I find good for both work & pleasure. The hotel is funky, no doubt about it. Interesting decor, cold pizza & bloody mary's on the weekends -- the place is about fun. But contrary to others here -- I think this is a great hotel for the business traveler too. Free internet access, huge rooms, extra-large work areas, free business center in the lobby -- they all add up to a great place to get work done. (Another reviewer complained about the low-light -- this is never been a problem. Rooms have HUGE windows that flood the room with light during the day, and at night, the light fixtures were just fine.)

On the downsides: I wish they had a fuller room service menu (although you can order from plenty of local restaurants) the business center could use more than one computer, and... how about free bloody mary's during the week too!

The amenities are all there too -- funky robes, perfect bedding, stereo & big TV's in room, in-room coffee, and on and on. The Rouge has become my hotel of choice in DC.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank NYCVillageTraveler
Reviewed January 27, 2005

I got this hotel on Hotwire and stayed for 8 nights. It was fantastic. Nice big room for such a long stay, and the decor wasn't impersonal like most hotels I've stayed in. Around the corner from Whole Foods and 10 minute walk to Dupont Circle. Really great bedding and furniture.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 28, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Rouge while attending a Cell Biology meeting at the convention center in December. I must admit I was leery at first due to some reviews I had read; fortunately, I was relived to find that this hotel was an excellent choice.

The staff was above average with being helpful and every recommendation for dining lived up to our expectations. The staff seemed enthused and proud of the Hotel. The staff was professional, but there were no traces of "Euro-snobby" to be found.

We travel for business and pleasure about 10 times a year and this hotel ranked in the top five. Even the Vice President of our company was pleased with the hotel.

This is a boutique hotel, therefore you will not find a toggle switch to turn on any massive, overhead fluorescent lighting, instead there are a number of lamps. The rooms were enormous and well kept. The bathroom was immaculate, there was not a stray hair to be found (and I'm nuts about that sort of thing).

I look forward to staying there again.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 8, 2004

Don't be duped by their website. The funky red decor is cooler on the website than in reality. The hotel had a very unremarkable demeanor, the staff wan't particularly helpful..and the worst thing was that there was BLOOD on our sheets and comforter. They did replace the sheets promptly, but that really put us in a bad mood the rest of our stay.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, TX
Reviewed October 17, 2004

Checked in around 5:30 pm and discovered that they have a free happy hour during this period (M-F). Was offered either a glass of red wine or red beer before ever leaving reception, which was a nice way to greet guests. Found my room to be very large and comfortable. Very red, of course. Bar was filled with friendly people, staff especially. Great location for those that want to walk to some of DC's popular gay bars. Not very many nice restaurants nearby - my only real complaint. There are a number of casual choices, but some on the seedy side. Rouge isn't for the stuffy people or for those that favor more of a commercial hotel. This is a boutique hotel. If that's what you're looking for, this is a great choice.

3 Thank TravelLovinMan
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2004

Great hotel, great location. I did not suffer from any of the complaints listed above; thought the rooms were funky, well designed spacious (as were the hallways). Did not notice any wear and tear in my room - maybe had been renovated recently but this is a pretty new hotel.

Beds were comfy, staff a little aloof, but more in a euro-cool way than anything else. chatted in the lift with a few other guests who loved the place and did not stay anywhere else when the visit DC.

Free WiFi and drinks in the afternoon are added bonuses!

2 Thank RovingTraveller1900