“My Go-To Hotel in Washington, DC”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #86 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I travel to DC a few times a year as my daughter has gone to school there and now lives there. Years ago I found this small boutique hotel and it has become the only place in DC that I stay now. The hotel itself is quite unique in style with a staff and location that just can't be beat in wonderful city.

I've stayed at The Rouge, probably close to 10 times (this time for the 4th of July holiday) and each visit is as good, or better, than the last. Each room is a little different, in layout, size and decoration. Rooms are spacious, clean, well maintained and quiet. The bar and dinning room - though small - is comfortable and the staff outstanding. In fact, the entire hotel staff is as good as it gets. Friendly, knowledgeable of the area, always available - regardless of the time of day or night, and willing to help with any request or in anyway to make your stay as nice as it can be. I hope the Kimpton management realize how much the excellent staff adds to experience of your stay at this hotel. They deserve a lot of credit for making a stay here special.

The location is great! A block and half from DuPont circle (at the corner of 16th and Massachusetts NW at Scott's Circle) and a six block walk from the White House. Numerous bars and some of the best restaurants in DC are only blocks away. The surrounding neighborhood is one of the best in the city. I love getting up early in the morning and strolling through the residential neighborhoods close buy while I make my way to my favorite coffee shop where I can sit on the sidewalk and watch the city wake-up. Or, I can borrow a bicycle from the hotel and take a short morning ride before the city streets become too busy.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to DC. The cost is reasonable for quality hotel in the midst of the city with a location like this one has and you really need to experience it to really appreciate it. I've been so happy with this hotel each time I've been here, I can't see staying anywhere else when I visit DC.

Room Tip: I always try to get a room as high as possible facing 16th Street NW, but I've stayed in rooms f...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sargeman
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear Sargeman. Thank you for taking the time to let other travelers know about your great experiences at the Rouge! We love to hear from our fans and appreciate the great review of our location, style and especially our amazing employees! We look forward to welcoming you back and thanks again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,891)

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Great location to both bars and restaurants and the sightseeing spots of dc. Our room was huge, lovely and comfortable with sofas and chairs to chill out before sleeping. There was complimentary coffee on the morning which was a good help til we found breakfast.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi hanadrobgaw. Thank you very much for letting other travelers know about our great hotel! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed July 18, 2014

There really is SO much red. Red floors with glitter; carpets are animal print. Pretty weird artwork. But the bed was super comfortable and the room was very clean. Location was very nice for what i needed--very close to DuPont Circle and the regular DC attractions. One of the front desk staff was incredible--found me a room to check into early, chatted during the free wine hour, etc. Unfortunately, the first staff member I encountered (also at the front desk) was not friendly or helpful at all. Awesome cheeseburger in the restaurant, but my diet coke (in one of those cute bottles) was really old and didn't taste good. Overall a great hotel stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Hi therockandsister! Thank you for reviewing your visit to the Rouge! I’m glad that you enjoyed our unique décor and comfortable accommodations. Our staff is amazing but I am disappointed that one employee did not rock! We will make sure everyone is on their game during your next visit.

Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Had booked for 3 nights but made mistake in our dates
Arrived from New York at 7 pm in Middle of Microsoft convention and both hotel front desk staff ( sorry didn't get your names) went way beyond and called round every hotel in dc to try and find us a room
Even gave us some local websites to try and arranged transport when we finally got a room
Thanks from a very stressed dad whose kids were even more grateful than I was

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Rossco53. It’s horrible when there is a SNAFU with travel plans but I am glad to hear that our awesome front desk went above and beyond to get you situated. Thanks for telling your story and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

We loved the red decor throughout. And the service was great. It was very clean. And the beds were very comfy. One thing though was that room service was not on many nights and started late and ended early. Otherwise great hotel will come back for sure!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Lovetravel777777. I am so happy that you enjoyed your holiday in DC and thank you for choosing the Rouge! We hope that you will come back to visit in the near future.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

An extremely well placed Hotel just a ten minute walk to the White House and in a fairly quiet corner of DC. Large and clean room with everything needed. Staff were courteous and always ready to help if needed. The free buffet breakfast had plenty of choice and just enough to start the day. Complimentary tea and coffee was available in the lobby in the mornings and there was a free wine tasting and soft drinks each night. Good value for money and would definitely stay again when I return to DC.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Andy L. A perfect stay is what we strive for! I am so glad that you enjoyed your time at the Rouge and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in DC. Thanks!

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Stayed at The Rouge with our girls for 1 night. Convenient location less than a mile from the White House. Trendy red decor throughout. Very friendly service staff willing to answer questions from transportation to restaurant recommendations. Large comfortable rooms. On site valet parking. Complimentary morning coffee in lobby.

Room Tip: No self parking option. Valet parking is $43 per night plus tax.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank alejana

Dear alegana. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed our location, style and service! Thank you for taking the time to let other travelers know and we hope to see you back soon.