“Location is Excellent”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Buffalo, New York
“Location is Excellent”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Stayed at the Rouge for four nights this past weekend. Hotel location is excellent and the property was nice, but was missing some of the amenities that some of the other Kimpton properties have such as a pool. The hotel has two elevators and one of the two was out the entire time we were there, which made for a long wait at different times of the day.

Our room was a double queen room on the 9th floor with views of the back of the property. Room was very quiet and the sleeping area was a good size. The bathroom on the other hand was extremely small. There were a few issues in the room that needed attention. First the bathroom door did not close all the way and would just swing open. All the beverages in the mini bar were way past expired and even after I informed the desk the items were never removed. There is a thermostat in the room to control the air conditioning, but we felt that the room was very warm. After asking the maintenance dept. to check on it we were informed that the actual coolest temp that the room could reach was controlled by the hotel. So in other words you could try and set it to below 70, but it would never reach the desired temp. The maintenance worker was able to punch in a code to over ride the system and allow the room to get cooler.

The morning coffee service was nice, but the lack of servicing the area was a bit frustrating. At any giving time they would be out of hot water or coffee. If you are interested in the continental breakfast offered in the lounge/ restaurant area you better be willing to pay 15 bucks for very a very less than average spread.

If you do not have a discounted rate this property is not worth the full rack rate. I would stay again with a discounted rate, just because of the location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan B
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Susan B. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I am sorry that we did not completely WOW you but we do appreciate your feedback and will look into your thorough comments to improve the quality where we can.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The four star category in hotels is a wide canyon -- where those at the bottom are without doubt closer to the three stars associated with economy lodging, and those at the top just shy of clearing the abyss into five star quality, where the final differentiator is often the distinguishing factor in the world's best hotels, service.

I stayed at the Rouge for six nights -- not by choice, but because my company booked me here.

The hotel is, at best, 'three stars plus' -- don't be fooled by the Kimpton name or "boutique" status -- the only thing boutique about the rouge is its size.

The management need to take a serious look at the staff and the service provided by the hotel, because it is seriously lacking in quality. A hotel should be judged not only by what it offers, but how it reacts to guests' varied and unpredictable needs. The Rouge's staff showed a complete inability to perform even basic requests easily handled by other hotels of a four star ranking.

Here is a brief overview of the positives and negatives of the property in my opinion, followed by some additional detail:

Relatively good location in DC; 15 minute walk to the White House
Room size is large
Bathrooms are modern and updated
Good water pressure
Great bathroom toiletries (Gillchrest and Soames' new line, Essentiel Elements) -- provided in large wall mounted dispensers, so you don't run out of shampoo or shower gel like in most hotels
Comfortable beds
Good climate control
Relatively quiet
Free wine every day in the lobby from 5-6pm

Outdated decor, especially in common areas; hotel feels tired and old, and the lobby is small and cramped; it's just not a comfortable, welcoming space

The WiFi is TERRIBLE. It is hard to connect to, both in the rooms and the lobby; you need to create a cumbersome Kimpton rewards account in order to access it for free. It's slow, frequently disconnects, and is totally unreliable. I had to shut it off and tether my cell phone to my laptop / iPad to get by.

Breakfast service is of dismal quality; the $14 continental buffet is of very poor quality. Think boxed cereals, cheap fruit, very poor quality pastries, etc.

The gym is tiny and in a windowless basement

The elevators are small and there are only two; one was out of service for half of my stay. Even when both are functioning, the wait is often long. Service staff do not wait to use the elevator after you; when it stops on a floor and you are inside the tiny elevator, bellmen and housekeeping staff don't hesitate to enter with a cart, which should not be the case, and isn't in other hotels where there is a separate service elevator or, at minimum, staff wait.

Pets are apparently permitted, and large dogs roam the hotels' public areas with their owners. I love dogs. Some people don't.

Service is poor. I asked for my shoes to be shined. It took several hours and they were returned to me unfinished. It's as if someone rubbed a cloth over them without using any shoe polish. Made me look bad at a meeting.

When I asked for ice to be brought to my room, I was told that only one cup could be brought up, and that I could use the ice machine -- located only on three of the hotels' floors. Appalling.

Overall, the Staff do not have a 'can do' attitude, but more of a 'Can't do' attitude bound by the hotel's limitations. Example: "Can you a sew a button onto a shirt?" "No, we don't provide that capability. We can send it out to a tailor [for $20.00]" whereas even the Capitol Hilton, one of Washington's largest hotels, managed to find a member of staff who knew how to sew a button. That's precisely the kind of flexibility expected at a boutique hotel.

When I asked for turn-down service, I was told that all of the housekeeping staff had gone for the day. This was at 7pm.

Maybe my expectations are too high for the Rouge, but I think it undercuts other Kimpton properties I've stayed at, and certainly many other larger, non-boutique hotels. It seems like a good place for budget travelers looking for something a bit more special, but I would rather spend my money elsewhere and enjoy better amenities and service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank xps900
Dear xps800. Thank you very much for taking the time to send such a candid and thorough review of your visit! We appreciate the feedback and will look into the issues that you wrote about – some that have already been fixed or repaired as they were temporary and unscheduled. It is rare to hear that our service was poor but I am truly sorry that the staff that you encountered did not offer the stellar service we are known for. I hope that you will come back and give us another try – sounds like we were having an off day!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Very nice place to stay!!! Wine tasting every nite!!! Great rooms ..... Everything in Red!!!!! Clean roomy and walking distance to anywhere!!!! I enjoyed how quiet it was!!!!! Very cozy!!!!! And really close to walking to DuPont circle...

Room Tip: Very quiet area!!! 1st time to stay in DC....
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Cherene S
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Cherene S. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our atmosphere, style, and service! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Trendy modern decor, great staff and service, easy walking distance to DuPont Circle with lots of restaurant choices. Complimentary wine during happy hour. And very dog friendly.

Only negative, but typical in DC, cost of daily parking at hotel is high. Take the train to DC and ride the Metro everywhere.

Room Tip: Not a high traffic area so this hotel is generally quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaTravelfan
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear PaTravelfan. Looks like we hit a home run with you! Thank you for taking the time to let other travelers know about your great experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Indialantic, FL
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We were blown away by the size of the rooms, the "coolness" of the decor, and the friendliness of the staff. Good water pressure in the shower, nice "free wine" cocktail hour, good location, too! Excellent choice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank donnabaru
Dear Donnabaru. Thanks for your “cool” review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your experience and thanks for letting other travelers know.
League City, Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I'll keep this brief. The hotel itself was nice. It was clean and trendy as described in most pictures I had found. It is a gay friendly hotel with cheetah print robes and tiger print carpets... The bar/lounge area was nice... when it was open. One of our issues... who closes at 10pm on a Friday night? We arrived back to the hotel in the afternoon to find it closed as well. Maybe I didn't "really" research the hotel as much as I should have. The beds were very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and useful. I never got to try the breakfast... I have a stack of passes for breakfast and drink tickets for the next Kimpton hotel. Location was safe and fairly easy to get around. Nice hotel all in all, but I'm a little more traditional when I use a hotel. Ordering pizza at 10:30pm because the rest was closed, having to wait until 6pm to visit the bar, having to eat before 10am for breakfast... just too many obstacles.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mccullor739
Dear mccullor739. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit overall. I apologize that the lounge hours were cut short on Friday night. Usually, we are open until 11pm so I will need to look into why it closed early that night. Breakfast is open until 10:30am and I am sorry that you didn’t get a chance to experience that. Your feedback is valuable and I thank you again for taking the time to let us know where we can improve.
South Wales
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hotel was good, especially the location which was near The White House. The hotel was close enough to all the attractions to get a reasonably priced taxi on each day. Room was large but the view was boring, overlooking as it did car parks and bins. We chose a high floor which meant there was little traffic noise. Reception staff were pleasant and helpful. The breakfasts were included, continental style, perfectly adequate for our needs. A coffee machine would have been useful, especially as it was quite a walk to the local restaurant area.

Room Tip: I don't know whether there are rooms with a nicer view but it might be worth asking.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks SuzannaMay. Your feedback is valuable! Thank you for taking the time to review your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back!