“Fun at the Hotel Rouge...”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #89 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Rouge in DC. We were made to feel very welcome by the concierge, enjoyed special drinks and nibbles in the bar and loved the location (near Dupont Circle, great restaurants and charming neighborhoods for walking). Our room was spacious, nicely redone and the bed & pillows were wonderfully comfortable. There was also a yoga mat in the room which I used to stretch out on. I'd stay at the Hotel Rouge again with pleasure.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Thanks LindaS-05! We all have fun working here so I’m glad that it rubs off! Thank you for letting others know about your great experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,895)

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We are a family of four and on our arrival our kids where allowed to choose a gift from their treasure chest and where told they could request milk & cookies each day. This made our kids stay.

We where on the 5th floor and the room was huge and very quite. Loved that the toiletries are not cheap and nasty. The use of an umbrella if raining. Bathrobes and a power board to charge phones etc.

Each day in reception is the paper, tea, coffee or water and in the afternoon cold pizza. They even have free wine tasting between 5pm-6pm. We had the best French toast at breakfast.

So many little extras at a reasonably priced and good location hotel. Would defiantly stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Lark1962. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your trip to DC and I am so happy that The Rouge made your visit more memorable. We pride ourselves in making traveling with family easy and fun and we are thrilled that you noticed. Come back soon!

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I am a Kimpton fan. I chose the Rouge mostly because of the nice big rooms (for three of us), the great rate, because of my Inner Circle membership and the related perks, and its location, being within walking distance of many of the sites we wished to see.

Pros:
-Original decor, splashes of red throughout to follow theme of hotel.
-Large rooms
-Very comfortable beds.
-Loved the smell of the shampoo and conditioner in the shower (and it was served in dispensers instead of wasteful little bottles).
-Lots of storage space (drawers) in room
-Very convenient to have power cord on desk for charging electronics (have seen this in other Kimpton hotels and it is very appreciated)
-As an Inner Circle member, we received a bottle of wine with chocolate and fruit.
-We arrived later in the evening and missed the free wine reception at 5pm. We were offered two coupons for a free glass of wine because we missed it.
-The free wifi and $10 mini bar credit.
-Good choice of free newspapers in the morning.
-Free coffee and tea in lobby in morning
-Dispenser in lobby with cold water flavored by orange slices
-Red apples offered at reception
-Very nice recommendation for a restaurant for dinner on the first evening (thanks, Rachel, you are the best!)

Con
-Inadequate restaurant. Only a few tables that will suitably accommodate more than two people to eat. Impractical small oval tables elsewhere that do not work well for dining. Went to restaurant on two occasions for breakfast. First time, the restaurant was not full by any means, but the booths that would have accommodated more than two people were mostly taken by one person. Seating should have been managed better by staff. The second morning a waiter did approach us, but again, larger tables taken, mostly by one person - the waiter offered us one of the tiny oval tables which was not realistic for three people to dine from, and being a slim oval, not good for pulling together to create a larger table.

-Inadequate valet service and stopping space in front of hotel. We rented a car on Saturday and went to the hotel around 1:30 pm to have it valet parked. The one valet/concierge visible was overworked, trying to cover all bases. When we asked what to do with our car, we were told to circle around to take one small space available in front of the hotel that was a few spaces behind our car. Not that simple - with one way streets, etc. it was confusing for a non-local and by the time we reached the hotel front again the space was gone. At one point there was building impatience and honking in front of the hotel for people blocking the one lane in front of the congested hotel. A bit chaotic. Finally someone moved in front of the hotel, we were able to park the car in front and turn our keys over to the front desk.

-As an Inner Circle member, a very nice touch is receiving a bottle of wine, with chocolates and fruit. My preferences are in my profile - white wine, etc.. I received exactly what I had written in my profile when I stayed in San Francisco and New York at Kimpton Hotels. However, at the Rouge, I received red wine instead of preferred white. I really don't like red, enough that I called to have it replaced. It seems odd to complain about a gift, however, one of the things that I like about Kimpton is its attention to detail. This hotel was missing a step on this point.

-Rather tired, sometimes ragged, decor. Hole in bedspread in room. Elevator interior looked like it was covered in red mactac vinyl, with wearing and rips. Interior of the elevator needs updating, it looks quite cheap. I have read some complaints of the elevator being slow. Some hotels install mirrors in their elevators and complaints about speed disappear. (Provides a distraction).

I feel terrible not raving about a Kimpton hotel because I have stayed in other Kimptons and was very impressed. I love their style and their approach to clients. People like Rachel at the front desk were very helpful, giving us good recommendations for restaurants and offering us free wine tokens when we checked in because we had missed the wine reception.

I do hope that the notes above are read constructively by management and used to improve the hotel. They can improve the table situation in the restaurant (if the small tables were square or rectangular they could be pulled together) and pay attention to seating patrons; have more valets on hand for busy times; improve elevator decor and replace torn bedspreads; and follow guest profiles a little more closely. I hope it improves because it has the makings of a great hotel with its huge rooms and good location.

Room Tip: We were on the ninth floor, we did not hear any street noise.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 45DegreesNorth

Dear 45DegreesNorth. Thank you for your review and valuable feedback and thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels. I am pleased that there are more pro than cons in your review but I am disappointed that your experience was not perfect! We are scheduled for an elevator and guest room corridor upgrade this summer which will greatly improve the look and feel of the hotel and enhance the great design of our lobby and guest rooms! Valet parking can be tricky during high traffic periods. More often than not, we are able to navigate and park cars promptly and efficiently and I am sorry that your experience was not the great welcome that we usually provide. Our lounge is more suited to evening cocktails, but you are correct that we could better manage the seating so that tables that accommodate larger parties are more available. Thank you so much again for taking the time to let us know your thoughts and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed for the first time at this hotel in February 2014. The rooms are nice and cosy but if you are unfortunate enough to be on the street, then you won't be able to sleep. There is a tunnel just in front of the hotel and the noise coming from that street, all night long is unbearable. There is a gym, very small but with the essentials. Buffet breakfast is also very disapointing. All in all, I will not stay again there.

Room Tip: Do ask not to be on the street
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Nicocha
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Nicocha. Thank you for your review and valuable feedback. I am so sorry that the room was too noisy. We find that if guests are sensitive to city noises, the higher floors or rooms facing the back are a better fit. This is easily requested during the time of reservation. Our breakfast buffet is a continental breakfast including cereal, pastries, and variety of yogurt, toast and fruit salad. We do also offer hot breakfast a la carte. I hope to welcome you back again and find a better room that is more comfortable for you and thank you again for commenting on your visit.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I spent last weekend at Rouge and were very pleased with our stay. The king room was large with an excellent bed, edgy concept look and lots of seating. Bathroom design was not optimal, but adequate and very clean. Service was very helpful, friendly and attentive. Complementary wine and other little perks were a plus. The location is very good and the value is high considering the rate. We will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronnie B

Dear Ronnie B. Thank you for letting other travelers know about your great experience at the Rouge! I am pleased that you enjoyed our large rooms, great service and hosted wine reception! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay at Rouge in DC after staying at the Palomar the week before. Staff was friendly and accommodating. The room was huge and the bed was so cozy. Did not want to leave. Will definitely use this hotel again when I am back in town. Quality establishment!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BigRedSoBo
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

BigRedSoBo. We are so excited that you chose the Rouge during your recent visit to DC and that you will return during your next visit! Looks like we are a perfect match and we are so pleased to have a new fan!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We picked this hotel because it was pet friendly. The good: the bed was VERY comfortable.. we had a king room... very clean. The front desk staff was mixed... one of them knew nothing and was not nice and not helpful .. the other was very nice and polite, Very convenient to Dupont Circle with lots of nice restaurants and Whole Foods is two blocks to the east for good breakfast food.

Room Tip: if you want quiet ask for not street side.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank flossgloss
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear flossgloss. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our great style and atmosphere! I am sorry that the front desk service was spotty. I don’t receive a lot of negative feedback about our staff, but all comments are taken seriously and are helpful in making us become the best place to stay in DC!