“Excellent Service Oriented Boutique Hotel”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #82 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Unless you were looking for it you might never know that this lovely little boutique hotel was nestled in the heart of DC.

Upon arrival I was slightly panicked as I couldn't find anywhere to put my car and the valet was not out front. I wedged into a spot put on my hazards and ran into the front desk to seek assistance. The front desk attendant quickly offered to parallel park my car for me until the valet was available to take it. What service! When checking in I was upgraded to an Executive King Room. The room was very spacious for a city hotel room and had an entire wall of windows! The bed was comfy and the room was clean. Although the hotel is thinly staffed the service was spectacular.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area looking for a service oriented boutique hotel experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank luxurybarginlover
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear luxurybarginlover. Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you found our excellent service and loved your upgrade to one of our executive rooms. We hope to see you back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,887)

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed here over Thanksgiving mainly because they had such and attractive rate, and it was close to family. The rooms are so much fun. All done in reds, and pinks. Very very large, and comfortable. There was an evening wine service in the lobby. Wonderful staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear filisann. I am so pleased that enjoyed your visit and thank you for choosing the Rouge to stay during the Thanksgiving holiday. Thank you for telling other travelers about your great experience!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We really enjoyed the hotel. Easy 8 min walk to Dupont Circle and metro stop. If traveling with kids, request room with bunk beds. Become a Kimpton member for extra perks, including free wifi. Very nice and helpful staff. Free coffee in the morning and wine happy hour. Most Kimpton's allow pets/dogs, so keep this in mind if have allergies.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 80west

80west. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our service, location and bunk rooms! I am also pleased that you enjoyed the perks that come with being a Kimpton InTouch member including a $10 minibar credit and free internet! We do accept pets, but we also have pet free floors for those with allergies.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We celebrated a birthday at this hotel and must say this hotel has some very dramatic and cool furniture... Me and my girls are quite the photo takers so I must say the backdrop was great. The hotel overall was cool. Plan to pay for parking of walk..they do have valet and I do believe there is a discount for particular cars so ASK. There is a bar and lounge that looks very inviting. The bathrooms are small and elevators sloooooow. But it was clean, hip and looked just like the pics once you get to the room! I would stay again!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear MsLea25. Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Rouge! I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back. Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 18, 2013

stayed here for work. main concern for most folks - about 15 minute walk to nearest metro station. not good like during this most recent ice storm. but otherwise, very similar to other kimpton offerings in the country

Room Tip: top rooms are nicer
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Dear MyronQ. Thank you for choosing the Rouge Hotel for your last visit to DC! I am sorry that Mother Nature did not cooperate and we hope that next time, the walk to the metro down lovely Embassy Row, will be more enjoyable.

Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent the first 4 nights of our America trip at this hotel & I wouldn't stay again. A bit of an odd neighbourhood as it's not close to anything really - and by close I mean it's about a 20min walk to get to the nearest train station. I expected it to be a bit closer to the action but that's my error in researching. The restaurant is quite nice, although I ordered a cocktail & found it to be undrinkable - tasted like cough medicine! I'm not normally one to pick at things like that either, and I've enjoyed many a cocktail before but this was just...wrong. Another flaw in this hotel is its security systems - we were locked out of our room TWICE on different days. We come home from a long day out & just want to crash & next minute our key doesn't work?? What's with that!
The positives of this hotel are its SUPER COMFY beds & warm showers. At the end of the day those were my most important factors & they didn't disappoint! Unfortunately this hotel didn't blow me away but I'm sure it had the potential to.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear kate_esther. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your visit. We hope for the opportunity to blow you away the next time you are in town.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I travel a lot for business and overall this hotel has a lot of amenities for the price.
PROS: The room was spacious and comfortable and the hotel staff was very friendly! The housekeeping staff said hi to me everyday and the people at the front desk remembered who I was. Loved the happy hour and Manuel just kept filling my wine glass without me having to ask. I found the location to be very convenient and walked to Whole Foods just a few blocks away for most of my meals.
CONS: Room was a little "worn"...kids had obviously stayed in it (I love kids BTW) as there was glitter on the dresser and scribbles all over the services book. We ordered coffee and it took an hour, granted we were not charged but really, an hour! The gym was OK but it too was a little tired. Red is my favorite color but having it in the halls was a bit overwhelming and not soothing.
Overall a great DC hotel for the price, amenities and location...going back in January for another week.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ChefEllen

Dear ChefEllen. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your recent visit to the Rouge. I am so pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit and that you will be returning in January. We will be sure to be more detailed in our housekeeping while cleaning up after the little munchkins! Also, we are scheduled for a corridor and elevator renovation in the first few months of the New Year! This will make a nice update and we look forward to your opinion about the changes we make! Happy Holidays!