“Dissapointing ”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Rouge because of the reviews. It's fine, but really nothing special. The staff is friendly, the restaurant was really bad!!! They had one guy working who seemed new, they had no sugar, get eating utensils was a chore and the food was not very good. I asked for some bread with butter and was given 4 pieces of bread that was hard as a rock and no butter. I ordered iced tea and it was the absolute worst, I mean it's just iced tea, how can you mess that up . He said they didn't have that so he made some himself....
We waited forever for service not enough staff to provide the proper service.
The rooms were nice, but again nothing special. We would likely try another hotel on our next visit to DC.
The bell staff was excellent, friendly and always making the extra effort.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear MyChickie. Ouch! We are not used to hearing that our guest’s did not enjoy us but please know that your feedback is very valuable. I hope that you will try us again and experience the great visit that you deserve and that most of our guests are familiar with.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Rouge Hotel

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Rouge Hotel is nice, clean, has spacious room and de staff is really friendly. Our Queen Queen Deluxe room was cleaned daily and was nicely furnished with big COMFORTABLE queen size beds. The room was spacious enough and we had no problem getting rid of three suitcases. We stayed here as a family of three (including one partially disabled family member) for 4 nights. We slept like babies :-).

The breakfast offered wasn't really special but basic and good enough to kick start the day in a satisfied fashion. Rouge is located within walking distance of Dupont Circle, one of the hot spots for culinary enjoyments and night life. Also located very close to main attractions Iike The White House. It was Halloween and Rouge was nicely decorated in this theme which was a nice touch.

The most enjoyable and memorable part of our stay was this genuine friendly young lady at the reception desk that proactively offered to find out information about wheelchair accessible sightseeing options on our next stop which was NYC. So we received a few print outs with valuable information. That was SO kind! That attitude was/is real hospitality in action. Rouge is definitely worth a stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear GlobeTraveler1973. Thank you for your review. Genuine Service, clean and comfortable rooms and unique style is exactly what we are going for! Thanks for noticing and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I went on a 4-5 extended long weekend with my brother about three weeks ago. I has stayed at Kimpton Madera on a business trip and was impressed, so I researched Kimpton looking for options. This was a notch down in price, probably based on location -- it is 5-6 blocks from Dupont Circle and not quite as close to a Metro station as the Madera. But everything about the place was up to the same standard. With CAA We paid about $200/night for a good-sized room with two queen beds. We found the hotel to be very clean, and our room was made up perfectly every day while we were out.

We were in town to do some sightseeing as well as to attend an NHL and NFL game. Didn't mind walking an extra block or two to a metro. We didn't really partake in the wine hour or the breakfasts so I can't speak to that, but there were some very good restaurants two blocks away, I think on O or N. In fact, we were given a list of local eateries by the desk staff, who were courteous and helpful.

I am fussy about cleanliness, I am pretty insistent on getting value for money, and I want the staff to be responsive and helpful when I need them. Full marks to the Rouge. I would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear VW824. Thank you for staying at the Rouge during your recent visit to DC. Looks like we have a new Kimpton Fan! We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I loved this hotel. With red free wine and nibbles every evening, we did suspect we would love it but the service was also fantastic. The staff were extremely friendly and helped me out with ordering takeaway from a local chinese takeaway when my boyfriend was feeling too ill to go out.

The rooms were spacious and clean, the gym was fit for purpose and there were lots of added extras like bath robes (although it was a little scratchy). Become a member of Kimpton hotels - it is absolutelty free and you receive a free $10 bar credit! I defintiely recommend this hotel, which is also very central and within walking distance of all the sights!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maceln
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Maceln. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our service, location and unique decor! I am also pleased that you enjoyed the perks that come with being a Kimpton InTouch member including a $10 minibar credit and free internet! Looks like we have a new fan! Thank you!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our 4 night stay could not have been more enjoyable! The Rouge is clean, great location for our venue, and, most of all the staff (all) made us feel welcome and at home. The staff was friendly, gave information when asked, helped in planning for a family/friend get-together before the wedding. I would highly recommend this hotel, and, yes, when back in the DC area, I plan to stay there. Ann from Kentucky.

Room Tip: My daughter, grandson, and I had a queen/queen with bunk beds...front side, but, the street noise di...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank adeatherage
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear adeatherage. We love that we made your granddaughter’s wedding more memorable for you! Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Finding a title for this review was difficult because my experience at Hotel Rouge sat on the fence between average and good - we stayed for 3 nights and to be fair the hotel entirely met our needs. Upon arrival, we were checked in and no further information was offered. We asked for a map and probed for more info about the city, but didn't get a whole lot more. Nevertheless, we made our way up to our room on level 4. The rooms are really large with a good size bathroom and we found the room to be clean, there seemed to be less attention to detail in corridors, however, as a used cotton bud sat on the carpet outside of someone's room for at least 2 days of our stay. Oh - and apparently there is a gym / health centre within the hotel too (must have missed that memo). The decor, not to our taste, but then again it's a hotel and not my home so wasn't really an issue for us. Hotel is in a good location, close to plenty of restaurants and a 5 - 10min walk to the closest metro. Can't comment on breakfast / dining as we didn't partake in any meals at the hotel. All in all, it was a comfortable stay but definitely room for improvement.
Would we stay again? Sure, why not! But I would consider other similar options also.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aussiehotelinspector

Dear Aussiehotelinspector. Thank you for choosing the Rouge Hotel for your visit to DC. It sounds like you had a nice time here but that we didn’t totally WOW you! We want to be the best so your feedback is important for us to continuously improve. I don’t feel that you experienced the usual awesome service that we are known for and I am sorry for that. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back and to make the Rouge your number one choice while visiting DC in the future.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This hotel is located in the heart of Downtown DC within walking distance from most of the attractions. The hotel itself was comfortable with good beds and clean rooms but the colors are too bright: red and black with multiple statues, narrow entrance and a small lobby. Some of the staff were helpful and some were not. Han was the best and went out of his way to help us. 2 others were too tired I think and on kept me waiting a while talking on the phone. On the whole passable.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Shakirak2013
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Shakirak2013. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Rouge. I am pleased that you found us to be comfortable but I am sorry that you did not enjoy our décor and that the service from some of our staff was not 5 star! It is rare to read a review that our staff was tired or disengaged, but I will certainly address this immediately. As far as our style, we have many hotels in the DC area to choose from that offer different styles and amenities. Take a look and perhaps one of them is a better fit for you during your next visit to DC!