“Below Expectations”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #88 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 20, 2008

I am from the DC area and came to the Hotel Rouge for a short getaway. I was excited when I walked through the studded pleather doors and into the cute little lobby. I was even more excited when I went to my room to find it spacious, well decorated, and equipped with Aveda bath products and free wireless internet. My excitement soon faded.

I began to notice crudely filled-in holes in the walls and poorly repaired air ducts. Then I noticed the leaky faucet. But wait-- I could lay in the comfy bed (yes, it was comfortable) and watch TV... all 17 channels.

I went to check out the mini bar, only to realize that it was locked and the lack-luster staff had neglected to provide a key.

The location of the hotel is good, so I fired up my laptop to go online and find something to do in the neighborhood. I was then faced with error messages that told me to "try again later" to log onto the wi-fi, which I found incredibly slow upon logging on "later."

Come bedtime, I had trouble sleeping in the company of the world's LOUDEST air conditioning. It hummed, whistled, and squeaked all night.

After a fitful night's sleep, I realized that I could not even enjoy a cup of coffee in the comfort of my own room. The only coffee was served in the lobby and cleaned up by the time I was able to dress and go downstairs.

Do not let the decor fool you-- this hotel is overrated.

On a side note, I booked through Expedia, and those responsible for providing hotel information from Rouge somehow failed to mention the excessive $30 PER DAY parking fee.

1  Thank DCNative7
RougeGM, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2008

Dear DCNative7,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I feel this is a great way to get feedback on both positive and negative impacts that we have had on our guests.

I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed the decor and our intimate lobby setting. I can also completely understand your concern with the television programming. On a positive note to this concern, Hotel Rouge is awaiting the arrival of brand new 37" flat panel televisions, that will be accompanied by a complete new listing of channels and HDTV options. We could not be more excited about this and the entire installation should be completed before the end of the year!

I can also completely understand the frustration with the internet. While we traditionally do not have a problem in this area, I will be sure to investigate what happened during your stay. As this need is so common, any glitch requires immediate action and I will follow up for certain.

Additionally, I wanted to thank you for bringing to my attention the other disappointments you experienced. I assure you that I will investigate. We aim to exceed all our guests expectations and I am truly sorry this was not the case during your stay.

Don Anderson, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,895)

Reviewed June 10, 2008

Had read some of the reviews here at tripadvisor before arriving in DC so decided this would be the 1st hotel we checked out.
Had a bit of trouble finding it (new to driving the circle) but once discovered, put our car on a sidestreet and walked over.
Rates we had seen online were less than offered at the desk, especially the 2nd night. The staff mentioned that they themselves could not change the rates however offered the house phone for me to call the reservations center. The rep was able to secure the same price for both nights (slightly more than online however with free weekend parking on the streets we had arleady saved $60 in Valet fees) and we were in.
The room was huge, the desk a perfect size, the bed comfortable, the towels soft, the red theme perfect.
Complimentary beverages in the lobby on our way out was nice, getting a chance to meet other travellers.
Location close to the White House, ok distance from the Metro, the neighbourhood safe. Groceries and/or restaurants not far.
Would stay again.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2008

Hello Gauvinator.

Thank you for staying at Hotel Rouge and posting your comments.

I am glad that you were able to enjoy your stay. I noticed that you were pleased with our hosted wine reception because it allowed you to meet other guests. This is what the whole happy hour is about! It is a great way to meet guests and management staff.

Thank you for staying and come again!

Reviewed June 8, 2008

Safe location with beautiful lawns and gardens to and from the metro station. Busy traffic, like all of DC. We felt very safe walking day or night. Hotel very clean, nice staff, very attentive. Decorated bright and retro. Small cafe on site convenient for quick b'fast. Afternoon complimentary wine or Red stripe beer. Room large on 1st floor looking at a wall but price paid couldn't complain. The room was clean, bed comfortable bathroom clean good shower. Housekeeping did great job. Only complaint A/C worked so so but I like to sleep cold. Overall would stay again.

Hello Andycrna.

Thank you for taking the time to enter a comment on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you like the neighborhood. One of Washington’s greatest treasures is the tree lined avenues and small gardens and terraces outside the front of houses, apartments, offices and buildings. It makes this city very pedestrian friendly.

I am glad you felt safe, thought the hotel was clean and the staff friendly. I think this makes a world of difference. I will let the staff know your comments.

Have a great day and please come back to see us again soon!

Reviewed June 6, 2008

Some pluses and some minuses here. First off I was here half for business and half for fun.
First of all the room had a very nice sized desk along one of the walls that even had an empty outlet strip on it, so I could plug all my electronics in and that was VERY nice. The bed was firm, but I like firm, and the sheets felt brand new.
I had one of the narrower rooms, they alternate long and narrower or shorter and wider. You want the narrow/long way. It's not narrow, but normal sized, the wider rooms are more squarish and bizarrely shaped. So bottom line the TV was fine for me, 32" Sony Trinitron tube TV.
Negatives --
location - too far from the subway, and in the middle of an office district so it's DEAD at night and far from stuff.
drapes -- sounds bizarre but the drapes slide in quarters so it's impossible to close them completely and light will come into your room at sunup making it hard to sleep
Ac/Heat -- old fashioned A/C in the wall unit, but it works ok to be fair
bathroom - was small but I found it to be fairly practical with a lot of shelves for my stuff
Largest minibar I've EVER seen in all my travels around the world. Really quite bizarrely large!! But that's also because you're nowhere near a drugstore or anything else at this location.

I'm fine with all of this because I paid like $120 per night for my stay and for that rate it was a very good deal in my opinion. But I wouldn't pay $300+ to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2008

Dear SeasonedTrvlr.

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate that you have taken the time to post your thoughts and ideas about Hotel Rouge. It is much appreciated.

I am very glad that you enjoyed the large desk and the multi plug adapter. It was because of feedback from savvy business travelers such as yourself that we added it to the room. In addition, I am glad that you enjoyed your room and the offerings at the hotel. I apologize about the curtains not darkening the room to your satisfaction. I also hope that the A/C didn’t trouble you too much. Even my A/C at home has trouble when it is 100 degrees outside! I hope that you enjoyed some of our organic mini bar items as we strive to be more environmentally friendly and health conscious for our loyal travelers.

I do apologize that we are further away from the metro than you would have liked. I do hope that our front desk staff was able to direct you the three blocks down Massachusetts to the metro as it is the shortest way. In addition, I can understand your feelings about the neighborhood. However, although we are right next to an embassy, the HRC and the Washington Center we are only two blocks away from a fun local neighborhood filled with many restaurants, bars, a live jazz/blues club, two CVS locations, Whole Foods, Starbucks, Caribou Coffee, fast food restaurants, 7-Eleven, and banks.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope that you will be able to return to our hotel. Have a great day!

Reviewed June 4, 2008

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for three nights during a nyc/dc memorial day break. We really, really enjoyed it!

If you stay at this hotel, you have to be looking for a certain type of experience. I wouldn't call this a business hotel, but it is cute and different and quirky. The coffee every morning is great and the bar/restaurant area is quite nice.

The rooms are a bit dated, but that is part of the fun! My only real complaints on the rooms would be the air conditioning - it really never quite cooled the room. I understand it is a converted apartment building, but the pre-war heating/cooling system does not do the job. We had to leave the curtains completely closed (and warn housekeeping not to open them!) in order to not sweat the minute we entered the room. In the summer, you may want to think twice about staying here.

Oh, and a small thing - the robes, though cute, were scratchy from being washed too many times.

The location is fairly good. It is about four blocks form Dupont Circle metro and only a few blocks from the white house. very nice for tourists, though get a map!

the staff was overall very friendly - seemed kind of young and on the fly, but friendly. One staff member did hold a personal call for about two minutes while I was waiting, but that is really just a nitpicky complaint. She was helpful.

look at the pictures - they don't lie. if it looks fun, you will really enjoy this spacious and funky hotel! oh, and free internet!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 2, 2008

We were supposed to have two double beds. I had even called the hotel and confirmed that our reservation reflected that.

But they gave us a single queen room. And a cot.

The atmosphere of the hotel is kitsch. The location is handy. The FREE coffee every morning is DELICIOUS. The free Washington Post or New York Times is a great service. And there are always hired cars out front, trying to earn extra fares, that give great discounts.

Just don't look too closely. The wallpaper has stains and is hung crooked. The carpet is quite worn. The staff is sort of asleep-at-the-switch. And the decor is starting to look late 90s-ish.

But, did I mention the yummy free coffee? Almost makes it worth it!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights in the Hotel Rouge over Memorial Weekend and had a great time. The hotel is convenient to many bars and restaurants and within easy walking distance of the White House and other DC attractions.

The rooms themselves are great, very funky with one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. Other good additions are the full size ironing board and iron, nice toiletries in the bathroom and big fluffy towels. My only one complaint is that the red decor and the heavy red curtains do mean that you need the lights on even on a lovely bright day.

We had breakfast each morning in the hotel, which we enjoyed. Maybe we could have bought it cheaper by walking up to Dupont Circle but it was convenient and the unlimited coffee and selection of different teas was great. A nice bonus for guests is the 5-6pm hour during week days when you get free red wine and Red Stripe!

All in all a great stay and certainly a hotel we will stay in again if we visit DC.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple