“Not One Of My Favorites”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #77 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cumberland, Maryland, United States
“Not One Of My Favorites”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Spent 2 days at the Rouge and I was not a huge fan. I found the decor (RED), to be to much. That aside, the hotel seemed dated and a little dirty. The room was spacious, and not too bad. The elevators were small and not as clean as they should have been. For the price I was unsatisfied. Will not stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Veritas938. Thank you for staying with us. We are so bummed that we were not a good fit for you! There are a lot of Kimpton Hotels to choose from in DC and I am happy to help you find one that more suitable to your taste.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Turkish first
Lititz, PA (native NYer)
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I love staying at Kimpton properties. As InTouch members, you can't beat the perks. Plus, they have such a fun vibe and chicly decorated rooms. Rouge was centrally located, about five blocks from the White House. The hotel felt a little dated in the lobby. Our room, an executive king suite, was quite large. However, with all that extra space, they could have designed it better to have a bigger bathroom instead of a ton of wasted space with a smaller-than-average bath that had no circulation vent or fan. It was quite hot outside during our stay and even with the AC on full blast, the room had a hard time staying cool and felt humid. Also, the mini refrigerator was quite dirty with stains on the bottom shelf. So that kind of was a turn off. The staff were all excellent and incredibly friendly and helpful. We stayed for our anniversary. Upon arrival, we told our host the secret password (so fun, btw, nice touch!) to which we got to choose a "prize." As she was telling us about our options, she indicated not to go with the complimentary bottle of wine as they had something planned for us since it was our anniversary. With that expectation set, and since we stayed two nights, we were quite excited. However, the surprise gesture and wine never arrived. That didn't bother us in particular, but the expectation should not have been set. Overall, I would recommend but if returning to DC, i would opt to stay at their sister property instead.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear purplejennybean. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Rouge. I am pleased that you enjoyed our location and large rooms but reading about the lack of detail in cleanliness and service while you were here is disappointing! We rarely miss the mark, especially with special occasions, and we will be sure that the suggestions you have made and the cleanliness issues are seriously reviewed.
Philadephia
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

It was my fist stay at the Hotel Rouge.
I really enjoyed my room, very specious for a Quenn bed. Great modern decor and very comfortable beding.
I was just a little surprised of the parking price. $50 including tax. Valet only, no self parking. You have to leave your key at the front desk.
When I checked out, I asked the front desk to call for my car. I waited 20 mn. I had to ask again the Valet Attendant how long time I should wait to get my car. He then pulled out in 2mn. Parking is right under the hotel. Visibly he was never informed by the Front Desk. You just don't want to start your day like that. I was running late for my meeting.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear YannphillyR. I am glad your first experience with us was good, but we prefer it to be GREAT! I am sorry that the valet parking service was delayed and you are right, with DC parking prices as they are, cars should have their own beds!
TN
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We recently stayed at the Rouge Hotel for a few days during a trip to DC and really enjoyed it. If you're looking for something different than the usual Hilton or Marriott experience, this is a great choice. The decor is fun and the service was great and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. For the price it was pretty terrific. Here are the highlights:

1. Location - Close to DuPont circle. We did find the walk to the metro was a bit long in the heat of the summer. But it's in a nice location otherwise.

2. Parking - They have parking on premises and they were offering a 50% discount for a hybrid and a free night of parking for a red car ;-)

3. Rooms - Huge and spacious. We had two queens (many of the DC hotels are two doubles). Animal print robes. Wi-Fi was great and fast.

4. Continental Breakfast - Plenty of choices...fruit, bagels, oatmeal, cereal. We thought it was great. They also have a wine reception in the evening with appetizers.

5. Service - Everyone was very nice. They even brought in a red betta fish to our room to keep our daughter company.

Room Tip: Not your typical Hilton or Marriott
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dan A
Dear dbasl. Thank you for staying with us! I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to DC and the Hotel Rouge and we are thrilled that you found us to be a fantastic, funky and fun find! It’s our goal to be the best in DC, offering something unique and stylish for all types of travelers. Thank you for noticing and we look forward to welcoming you back!
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I don’t always actively look to stay at a Kimpton property, but I am thinking I probably should since there service expectations are step above other chains.

Full kudos to the staff for being welcoming and engaged. There was also a gentleman on the last day that went above and beyond and hailed us a cab from the busier cross street that was close by (we were running late to a scheduled tour).

The hotel location is great if looking for a place by Dupont Circle and the room we had (king bed) was far roomier than expected. Highly recommend staying here for the excellent management and staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sharkfansd, Sounds like we hit a home run in all areas for you and the Rouge Team is cheering loudly! Thanks for letting other travelers know about your experience and we are excited that you will now actively seek out Kimpton Hotels when you travel around the country
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Recently stayed at the Rouge Hotel on 18th St in Wash DC. It's a bit tucked away but in a great location. I was upgraded to a suite which had a lovely dining nook and a well-appointed little kitchen. It made me wish I was staying more than one night! The room was spacious and well appointed, with a nice sized bath and comfortable bed. Don't overlook this option if you are ever in DC!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Klbster
Dear Klbster: We were so excited to read your review! I am pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations, location and awesome staff. Away from the main streets, but we are in a great area and close to everything!
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The staff made all the difference in staying there... especially Tina!! She is the BEST!! Made our son's trip the best ever! The hotel is very modern and very nice. Only problem was the internet in the room was hard to pick up. Thanks again for the great stay!

Room Tip: We were on a higher floor and the AC or internet wasn't the best, but the room was nice
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear SaltLife2. Being the BEST is what we strive for and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Hotel Rouge and got to experience the famous Tina! We love that we made your trip more memorable!