“Best time!”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My best friend and I spent a night at Hotel Rouge in D.C. for a show nearby and our stay as great. The room was very clean. The staff was extremely polite and helpful. Every staff member we came in contact with gave friendly hello's and asked if we needed anything. We had a complimentary wine hour which was very nice and the atmosphere was friendly and welcoming. We loved the decor of the hotel, it was different then any others we'd visited. The beds were very comfortable. We visited museums also and our hotel was right in the middle of everything and very easy to get back and forth from places we were visiting. I'd stay there again definitely.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Margaret I , I am thrilled that you and your friend enjoyed your weekend in DC and at The Rouge. We area great location and centrally located near restaurants, sights and transportation. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Rouge Hotel

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have stayed at 16 hotels across America during this month long road trip. Hotel Rouge was the most expensive and booked as a treat. I dont know if my expectations were too high but I found this hotel to be average. We did not get any special treatment eg no gold fish for the kids despite it being requested. we did find an open can of drink in the minibar when we arrived. I guess that might be why we got charged $6 on our credit card that showed up after we left which is annoying. this hotel also authorises $100 per night on your credit card for incidentals. we stayed two nights so had a $200 charge which took over 2 weeks to drop off our card. No other hotel has done this so far. overall an average hotel

Dear Cynthia1030. Thank you for choosing the Hotel Rouge for your recent visit to DC. Average is definitely not what we are going for and I regret that some of the small details that set us apart as a better choice for visitors were missed during your stay. Your comments are valuable and will help us to continuously improve so thank you again for taking the time to give us your candid feedback.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

First off, kudos to the staff of this hotel. After traveling, walking into a hotel and being greeted by a warm, friendly and professional front desk person makes a big difference. So that said, the front desk staff were extremely helpful with directions, mapping out places for us and suggesting interesting things to do. Answered all questions with knowledge and interest. Ok, the rooms....sure you have read other reviews about the color scheme which really isn't that bad. The room itself was an issue for me. The bathroom is very small and there is a large vestibule ôutside the bathroom that to me is wasted space. The mini bar is there and I feel it could have been moved somewhere else to allow for a bigger bathroom. There are no drawers in the sleeping area to put computers, iPads, books etc. into. The bed was extremely comfortable, the room was kept clean and there really was no loud noises from anywhere. The location is good, not great, to most of the attractions as it is about a 20 minute walk, easy, unless you plan to do a lot of walking that day. There is a whole foods around the corner to grab extras and we did breakfast there. Overall a nice hotel but the staff makes this an above average

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear justretired09, Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our friendly front desk – they were very excited to read your comments and receive the positive review.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

It is very pleasant to stay there providing you like the color red. I like the Goldfish Concierge. Walking 2 blocks or so gets you to the 14th St. restaurant block and walking along P I think it is between 14th and 15th is shopping and pleasant outdoor seating for eateries. My meeting was at the Capitol Hilton, quite close by, also on 16th. Otherwise, it is not super-close to Dupont Circle.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear nycmom22, Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your visit with us.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

For my husband's birthday, I arranged for my in-laws to come from NY to watch our three small children at our home in DC while I surprised him with a night at Hotel Rouge. With 3 kids under 2.5 years, we desperately need sleep. Everything was going great until the phone rang in middle of the night. We stumbled in the dark for the phone, terrified that something had happened with the kids. No, it was the front desk. Calling because they didn't have our credit card info on file. Really??? Never mind that I had to provide it online when I booked the room, and again when we checked in. This was clearly urgent enough to wake us up. We asked to speak to the manager, only to discover we already were. Now it's 2 am and I can't get back to sleep, incredulous that the one thing I came here for - a good night's sleep - is a lost cause. While the decor is cool and location is great, this hotel has failed in its primary function. It was not noisy street traffic or a loud event, but just laughably bad hotel management, a self-inflicted wound. No excuse.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank TiredinDC
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear TiredinDC. Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you were called so late ruining your peaceful time away! Please know that the management of the hotel will never call in the middle of the night (unless there is an emergency) and will never ask for credit card information over the phone. This was a call that came through from the outside and the incident has been reported to the proper authorities as a possible scam. We have since placed letters in all of the guest rooms to warn travelers to NEVER give their card information over the phone and to report such calls to the management. The Front Desk has also been re-trained to identify outside calls that may be a part of this scam.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed an anniversary weekend in DC. We spent two nights at Rouge and thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. The staff was very helpful and went out of their way to welcome us. We were treated to a nice surprise after checking in and the room was clean and comfortable. The hotel has a small bar and restaurant. We enjoyed a couple glasses of wine in the bar and a quality breakfast the next morning. The hotel is within a very reasonable walk from the Dupont Circle metro station and many good restaurant choices are within three to four blocks from the hotel. We would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Yatter. We are thrilled that you had a great time in Washington DC and The Hotel Rouge for your anniversary! Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here over memorial weekend for a total of 5 nights. We were in town for our wedding anniversary and the hotel had left us a bottle of champagne in our room on arrival which was a really nice touch. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful explaining that the vouchers you get can either be used for complimentary continental breakfast or you can have drinks in the bar up to a certain value (cannot remember how much but we got two glasses of wine). They also have the wine reception every evening from 5pm - 6pm with nibbles which was great after a busy day touring the city. The room itself was huge but the bathroom quite small. The decor was not to our taste but this was not a big deal. The breakfast was fine with plenty of choice. The location was great it took us no more than 10 minutes to walk to DuPont Circle & 15 minutes to the White House.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SherburnLil

Dear ShurburnLil, Thanks so much for writing about your stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel’s location and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!