“Trying to leave some positivity”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Got this room through Hotwire.com when choosing to stay in the DuPont D.C. area. Was very pleased and surprised when this came up as the mystery hotel. After reading tons and tons of reviews on tripadvisor.com and other websites I had extremely high expectations for the hotel. After arriving at the hotel at almost 10 p.m. the check in was smooth and was given room 309 room right next to ice machine maker and elevators. No double was available so my friend and I had to settle for a king size room. The room in itself was spacious and perfectly sized for two girls that need space to get ready in. Room had a couch which was told pulls out to a queen bed. But the King bed was big enough for us two to share without hitting eachother in the middle of the night. Bed was comfy and delicious to say the least (made getting up in the morning THAT much difficult)

I only have four complains about this cute, hip boutique hotel.

1. Two out of the three nights in the middle of the night my friend and I woke up choking on smoke. I smelled cigarette smoke for hours on end. It was horrible made breathing difficult. I thought we were on a smoking floor. I come to find out it was not a smoking room as stated on the directory right outside the room.

2. When showering the water would not go down. The tub would fill up mid-way and would not go down until I would close the water up and was done. I do not know why this was but it was just gross.

3. Wine reception hour is literally only ONE HOUR LONG and it is right smack in the middle of the day so if you are a tourist and out and about exploring D.C. you will never make it back to the hotel for wine hour.

4. WiFi is free but never worked while I was in the room.

Other than that...location is amazing! Everything is within walking distance. The hotel is very chic, hip and clean. So if I were to be assigned another room not next to the ice making machine and elevator, on a higher level with a view and no cigarette smell. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Higher the better.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Renee A. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our large rooms and great location! We are a completely non smoking hotel and I am disappointed to hear that you smelled smoke from your room. When reported, we immediately communicate with the guest who is smoking so that they stop and we also charge a hefty fine! Our complimentary wine reception is from 5-6pm which is in the afternoon so that guests have time to return after a day of meetings or site seeing; however, if a guest just misses the reception or is running late, we are happy to give out complimentary glasses to make up for it. Thanks again for commenting on your visit and we hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Rouge Hotel

Reviewed May 28, 2013

What a wonderful stay. Great location, lovely big room and A wine hosting hour everyday. Would recommend this hotel for everyone one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Really friendly staff where nothing was too much trouble.

1  Thank andy654

Dear Andy654. Exceeding your expectations is our ultimate goal and being the “best hotel” in your eyes is the ultimate compliment! Thank you for letting other travelers know about your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you read through the positive comments, such as by rushnspkr, they pretty much reflect what I thought. First, the location is great: not only is there Dupont Circle and its restaurants, but there is a Whole Foods an easy walk away.
The hotel has a boutique vibe but doesn't come off as pretentious or too hip for thou. Things are very "rouge" here, so be warned of that if you don't like red. They have a free wine hour, which is very pleasant in their cool bar.
Unlike with some hotel sites, the picture they show of the standard room, which is what I assume we had, is accurate. It is just a bit bigger than your average upscale hotel room.
I agree with the one complaint someone made about limited cable channels, but that is more of a general affliction of hotels.
I will note that while it did not rain while I was there, there was an umbrella in the room closet. Nice touch.

Room Tip: Not sure. Ours faced the entrance street, which was a very pretty view.
1  Thank Oakparker300
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Oakparker300. Thank you for staying with us! I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to DC and the Hotel Rouge! It’s our goal to be the best in DC, offering something unique and stylish for all types of travelers.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Wow, what a pleasantly surprising stay at Rough over Memorial Day weekend! The lobby is cool and inviting, with guests treateed to wine and olives in the evening, pizza around noon, and fresh ice water on tap all day.

The toiletries in the bathroom were revitalizing, not your standard low-grade stuff in tiny bottles. The bed was heavenly. Spacious, with a generous, fluffy duvet and ample pillows.

As others have said, the location is great. It's in walking distance to hot spots

My onlty criticism is the price for valet parking. $42 for hotel guests. Even for DC, this is extremly high in my opinion. Given that street parking is extremely limited to non-existent, I think Rouge could do better by its guests to lower the price by half. That would put it in the same range as public parking garages through the city.

We will definitely return, either to Rouge or to one or some of the other Kimpton properties in DC!

1  Thank rushnspkr

Dear rushnspkr. Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your experience at the Rouge and that you found us to be unique, friendly and comfortable at the same time. That’s exactly what we’re going for!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was my first stay with Inner Circle status so I may be biased but I love Hotel Rouge (and Kimpton for that matter). Everything just seemed "right"...

The room size (upgraded to a room with kitchenette) was generous with an upbeat vibe. Coffee was free in the morning, the breakfast at Bar Rouge was reasonably priced (and also included free, organic coffee), and free mini bottles of water were given at the front desk. There was no attitude. The wine hour was simple and relaxing despite drawing a crowd. The bathroom amenities included dispensers in the shower and the products seemed above average with a refreshing, minty/ tea tree sent.

The location was good, about a 10-15 min walk to the White House. The hotel is about a 10 min walk from either the Farragut West, Farragut North or Dupont Circle metro stations.

Upon arrival there was a bottle of sparkling wine (traditional champagne style). In the evening a selection of amenities was delivered to the room, including 4 bottles of Voss water, 4 cocktail coupons and cashews. All that made me think that Kimpton's loyalty program slogan should be "More Than Words" because relative to other hospitality brands, they strive to deliver on the expectations they set.

While staying there, we discovered a super cheap happy hour at McCormick & Schmick's on K Street (cheeseburger & fries for $3.95) and tried out FrozenYo on Farragut which was so fun for us.

I would definitely stay at Hotel Rouge again and my choice to expand my loyalty with Kimpton feels like a great one.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Johnruda. I am so pleased that enjoyed your visit and noticed the surprise and delights we offer our Inner Circle members to thank you for your loyalty! Thank you for sharing your experience with the world and being a Kimpton fan!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We were in Washington DC to get married. The hotel staff went above and beyond to make it a special experience for us. The room and surprise champagne made us feel very special. We cannot say enough to express our gratitude for their hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Wooster02

Dear Wooster02. Thank you for your review. “The best hotel experience, ever” is the greatest compliment and we are so pleased that we contributed to such a good memory of your wedding and honeymoon! Hopefully, we will see you next year for your anniversary!.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Conveniently located close to the Dupont Circle metro stop (10 minute walk). Very spacious room (the most I ever had). Coffee maker was delivered to our room upon request. Slow elevators. Breakfast for $12 is not worth it. Friendly staff. Free Internet. Complimentary water, coffee, and apples. Very comfortable bed. The decor in our room makes it feel less like a hotel, and more homey.

Room Tip: Elevator is REALLY slow. Next time I will ask for a room on the second or third floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear FatimaCornwall. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am pleased that you enjoyed our location, atmosphere and friendly, helpful service. We look forward to seeing you again soon!