“Felt at home”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Felt at home”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I was very pleased with this hotel for 6 nights. The price was fair, especially considering the desirable location, close to restaurants and shopping, between downtown and Dupont Circle. It was a short 3 blocks to the metro in one direction and 4 blocks in another.

I was given an upgrade on check in, just for asking. The 9th floor room was large, clean and comfortable, and they provided a cot for my adult son free of charge. I faced 16th St., and had no problem at all with street noise.

As a Kimpton In Touch member, I received complimentary snacks from the mini bar and complimentary wi-fi during my stay. I also saw snacks in the lobby (pizza, cookies, fresh fruit) from time to time, in addition to their complimentary wine hour. The staff was professional and helpful, with a good attitude. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, and I will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hello Iregeo!

Thank you for choosing to sound time with us at the Hotel Rouge! Looks to me like you truly enjoyed your stay Kimpton Style! Our location really does allow you to experience DC properly and “Live Like a Local” with all of the fantastic dining and shopping options so close to us!

I am so happy your room was comfortable for you and your son. Our guest rooms have amazing layouts and our really conducive to either nice weekends in DC or a relaxing week to spend with us and really soak in the city. I am even more thrilled you took advantage of our Kimpton In Touch loyalty program! It’s hard to beat free wifi and the $10 “Raid The Mini Bar” coupon you get for being a member.

Thank you for the nice words in regards to your interaction with our team here as well. They will be excited to learn that your stay was a successful one!

Thank you once again and we hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Turkish first
NY
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel gets good marks all around in comparison to other hotels in the same class we've stayed at.

Friendly desk staff, although they wouldn't let my wife check in while I was parking the car because it was in my name. Parking is $39 night plus taxes.

We stayed in a double queen room which was good sized (see pics). The bathroom and closet area were small (and there wasn't enough room to store clothes for two adults and two kids for our four day stay). It was nice to have a room safe and they let you take the non perishable items out of the minibar if you needed to chill other items.

Our room was on the tenth floor facing the street but the car noises were pretty mute. We didn't hear very much noise from the hall but am not sure how many rooms on our floor were occupied.

The hotel has a avant garde atmosphere. It feels like it was a former efficiency apartment building that was renovated into a hotel.

I'd stay here again when in DC. Nice selection of restaurants nearby. There's a YMCA two blocks away if you'd rather not use their somewhat small gym. The Metro isn't that close, say 1/2 mile away, or a ten min walk.

Prices were on par with other DC hotels.

• Stayed April 2013
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Greetings ChooChoo4427!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Hotel Rouge. I am glad to see our team made your stay a pleasant one. Please keep us in mind when your travels bring you back to DC!

Northborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My top 2 "must haves" are cleanliness and location. The Rouge met both requirements. Our room was very spacious and clean. Funky decor with a "red" theme. My daughter and I relaxed with a glass of complimentary wine from 5-6 our first evening while trying to win at the Trivia game the staff put on. Great fun. The hotel is within walking distance of great shopping and restaurants. And isn't really far from the White House if you don't mind walking a few blocks. Considering it was Cherry Blossom season, the rates were very reasonable. The front desk staff were very professional and pleasant. My husband and I travel frequently to visit our children in VA, DC, and DE. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I would suggest staying anywhere from the 4th floor or above. Less noise. I believe part of the hote...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank motags
Hello motags!

I am thrilled to see your stay was a success with us at the Hotel Rouge! It’s great to see the hotel was so convenient for you! Hope to see you soon and I am sure you will be victorious at out next round of our Kimpton style trivia!

Warm regards,

Ohio
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Rouge is a funky hotel where everything is.....RED! The price for the room in DC was very reasonable. The bed was comfortable and sheets were nice. Room is pretty large but they should have enlarged the bathroom a bit, it is one sink without much room for toiletries. I joined the Kimpton loyalty program when I made my reservation so we could get free internet. That also entitled us to a $10. complementary mini bar raid. They also serve complimentary wine in the bar from 5-6 PM. It is a nice location but it is not very close to a metro station. However, it is close to shopping and within walking distance of the White House (5 blocks). Staff were very friendly and helpful. My only complaint is the cost of the parking. It was $48./day ($39. + $7. tax). I realize it is expensive to park in a big city, but this is TOO much!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear tybeegirlOhio,

Thank you for spending time with us at the Hotel Rouge and thank you for joining our Kimpton In Touch loyalty program! It’s the best! Thank you for the nice words regarding your stay and we hope to see you in the near future!

All the best,

New Jersey
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Reserved and was asked what the children's ages were, Kimpton will have age appropriate games, books, etc in the room for your kids....only thing my 10 year old stumbled across was the "intimacy kit" in the service bar.....hotel honestly screams sex! Front area broken glass console, check in staff odd and not really professional, when I rang down to complain about not having the room ready for the kids, she said sorry I didn't book you, must have been central reservations....just very very odd....should have stayed elsewhere was really pulled in by the kid friendly response....should have asked for the short stay rate......

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hello jjmn31,

Thank you for the feedback in regards to your most recent visit with us. We will definitely use it to become stronger as a team and ensure our stays are wonderful for all of our guests. Please keep us in mind the next time you are in DC.

Belle Mead, New Jersey
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights with hubby and 2 teenaged boys during their Spring break. Hotel is clean and cool-looking with very comfortable beds and friendly staff. Khalid was extremely nice and handled our car and bags with care. Jonathon at the front desk made sure extra towels requested for room were delivered promptly. Got a great deal on room last minute on Booking.com and joined Kimpton In touch program right away so we could have free Internet in our room. Also free parking the first day if you have a red car. Walking distance to DuPont circle where you can get the Metro and a cup of Starbucks. Would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed March 2013
Greetings Mary G!

It’s great to see that your family enjoyed their stay with us here at the Hotel Rouge. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Please remember we are your home away from home when your travels bring you to Washington DC!

Collingswood, New Jersey
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here for two nights this past weekend, when I came for DC Tap Fest. I am happy to say that my stay was enjoyable and that the Hotel Rouge or its staff did not disappoint. They were friendly, courteous, and very efficient both at check in and check out. My room was tastefully decorated, clean, and the bed was very soft and comfortable. The hotel offers an evening wine reception that I recommend, as well as a bloody mary reception on Saturdays from 11-noon that's also fun. The hotel is well located, just a very easy walk to DuPont Circle restaurants and bars. Whole Foods Market is only a two block walk away on P Street between 15th and 14th. DuPont Circle Metro is about a five block walk away up Massachusetts Avenue. If you're coming on the weekend, I personally would recommend looking for parking on-street as it is not time limited in the area on weekends, is available, and the hotel valet is rather expensive at $40 per night. I have to say, I was very impressed with the Rouge and will definitely consider them for my future travel plans.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 4th floor or above; this will make sure you get a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear tapdancer77,

Thank you for spending time with while visiting DC! It’s great to see your stay was a success and our team took such good care. Take care and we hope to host you again in the very near future!

Warm regards,