“Hip hotel, a little far from downtown and a metro”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #76 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Hip hotel, a little far from downtown and a metro”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here for 12 nights whilst on business in DC.
My first impression of the room was - wow!, as i like design boutique hotels.
The room had a massive bed, chair and comfy sofa plus desk area. Of the room was a small space where the mini bar was and then there was a small bathroom.
As a welcome i had 2 bottles of water and 2 apples, but i only received 1 supply, and considering the length of my stay in would have been nice to get a second supply.

I joined the Kimpton intouch club shortly before my stay and was greeted with a welcome postcard and $10 to spend in the mini bar, which was nice. This also allowed me free access to the wi-fi, which was a bonus.
I had dinner at the bar one evening and thought the area to be average as was the food.
The nearby Helix hotel had a better bar and food selection.

On the whole i would say this is an average hotel with a hip edge. If you like hip/boutique and have the money i would recommend a stay at the Donovan instead, as this is more centrally located and has a fab bar/restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JCambridge
Jennifer H, Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear JCambridge,

Thank you for spending so much time with us here at the Hotel Rouge! I am thrilled you enjoyed the guest room. Great feed back as well and will certainly use to ensure our guests are well taken care of.

Thanks again and hope to see you again soon!

Best,

Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Rouge is a perfectly okay hotel, with an active bar scene at night and (at least in our experience) a snippy desk clerk at check-in. The room, though, was very nice in its tacky/chic way, and you can find on-street parking and avoid the somewhat aggressive valet (at $39 per night).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Greetings WJClinton!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Hotel Rouge. Great feedback and I will certainly share with the team here. Please keep us in mind when your travels bring you back to DC!

Best,

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Kimpton brand has never disappointed, and a first visit to the Rouge in DC didn't disappoint. We had a 2 night stay booked but, because the weather was so nice, we stayed a 3rd night. The front desk made our extension very easy and they were generous with free drink coupons for the bar.

We stayed with our dog, and the hotel staff were very kind to him, greeting him every time we left and arrived.

Also, we used the valet parking and I had forgotten something in the back seat. Valet was very helpful in giving me access to my car to retrieve my extra bad.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Ryan B!

I am thrilled to see your stay with us the Hotel Rouge was a success! It’s always great when you are able extend your stay and spend another day with us! The team here will be so pleased to hear your stay was wonderful and that your dog had a great time as well. Please remember we are your home away from home whenever you are visiting the area.

Thanks again!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Let me start by saying that I have yet to go wrong with a Kimpton hotel, and Rouge did not disappoint. I stayed in November, 2012 for business. Service from the door to the room was spot on. I wanted for nothing and didn't have to wait. The staff was very attentive to my needs. In fact, on one occasion I visited the ATM and inadvertantly left some cash in the machine. The staff had found the cash and held it until I could claim it. I'm confident that my money would have been long gone at many other establishments.

On arrival the hotel may seem a bit small and cramped, but the room completely makes up for it. The room I stayed in, a standard King, was HUGE. The room decor was modern, there was plenty of storage space, and a fully stocked minibar was available. My room was very clean and bedding was well maintained. I requested room service on one occasion. The food was typical for hotel fare, but the service was quick and accomodating.

The hotel is located near a large hub of shopping and restaurants which was very convenient. If you're looking to sight see at the National Mall, it will be a bit of a walk. I suggest a taxi. I did walk to the Mall on my visit and it was a 15 minute walk directly south to reach the White House lawn. Hotel pricing was right in line with comparable hotels in the area, but considering the service and room quality, I'd say that Rouge is a great value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RRW81
Greetings RRW81!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Hotel Rouge. I am so pleased your stay was a success and that our team took good care. I will make sure to share and I can assure you they will be just as excited to hear your stay was great. Thanks again and we look forward to hosting you in the near future!

Warm regards,

nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

spent 3 nites at the rouge last week. got a great rate- $97/night on the hotels own site.

the room was large and comfy. bathroom a little small. bed really comfy. heat, wireless, shower all worked fine.

had stayed here before and would stay again.

Room Tip: join the kimpton in touch program- free internet, $10 mini bar credit.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank z235e49
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear z235e49,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay went. It’s fantastic to see you had a great stay! We are all looking forward to your return! Hope to see you soon.

All the best,

Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I traveled to DC for 2 days of meetings. We are from Iowa and so we booked it sight-unseen...but it had a good price, good location for us, and it looked like something different. I am so glad that we picked it! The place is totally cool. Unique and different for sure! There are no boring colors in this hotel. The service was crazy good. I got an email from them before our departure, so I updated them as to our possbile delay getting in. While there, our meetings ran long and the front desk was so wonderful. They took care of our lugguage and kept their cleaning crew there for our room!
We were able to enjoy the Bar Rouge one night and loved the menu selection. The bar manager was great and took our advice regarding a future purchase regarding one of their Iowa vendors. Great place and I look forward to returning.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Schwenksville PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Rouge for 3 nights with my 2 adult daughters and we all enjoyed our stay. The hotel is well located, being around the corner from a Wholefoods restaurant and close to a restaurant that serves vegetarian food, near a subway and close to the White House.
The staff were, without exception friendly and helpful and our room was clean and comfortable. Valet parking is available right next door.
We would definitely recommend this hotel and will be staying there again soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family