“Friendly and helpful staff”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #85 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 12, 2008

We got this room via priceline and saved a couple of dollars off the rack rate. Savings was not mind blowing, but for the price we paid, it was value for money. The front desk was very friendly and helpful, and the room was huge (for 2 people) and clean. There was free wifi and free coffee in the mornings. The room we were in faced 16th st, and thus could get noisy at night with all the sirens. We were sound sleepers though, so that wasn't a problem at all. The elevators were a bit dim, but i guess it's all part of the atmosphere.

The location isn't too bad. The area is primarily residential, so we had to go to connecticut ave (around a 10min walk) to eat and shop. The metro stop is also a good 10-15min walk (farragut north station, not sure about the dupont station though). For tourists going on the trolley tour, 2 stops are nearby. One is at the capital hilton (along 16th st) which is around 10-15 mins away, but this is only a pick-up stop--the trolley only comes by around 9am in the morning (and a couple of return trips in the afternoon). The other is stop #16 (white house), a bit farther down along 16th, in front of the hay adams. There is a regular trolley that comes along on this stop.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2008

Hello and Good Day!

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you feel it was a great value for the price. I also appreciate your perspective on tourist locations around the hotel. With regard to the metro stops Dupont Circle is three diagonal blocks from Hotel Rouge and Farragut North is about three and a half standard blocks away, so in essence, there is not much difference with distance.

I hope that you will be able to return soon. Thank you and have a nice day!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,891)

Reviewed April 7, 2008

This is a great trendy hip hotel for business or holiday.

Even families would love this place and it was a reasonable price.

The staff remembered and called me by name every time they encountered me. The staff was attentive and charming.

The rooms could use some deep cleaning but the decor was great. The location is a few blocks from a metro stop. While you are not in the central place of D.C. nightlife you can stay in the lounge if you need or you can take a short cab to anywhere.

This hotel chain always impresses me.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business

Hello and Good Day!

Thank you for your kind words. It brightens my day to know that the staff is truly attentive and that they remembered your name. Everyone at Kimpton Hotels tries really hard to make a guest stay enjoyable and it seems that this was a memorable part of your experience.

I do hope that you are able to join us again soon, if not at Hotel Rouge then anywhere you can find a Kimpton Hotel.

Have a pleasant day!

Reviewed April 2, 2008

This hotel was a total find. Price was right, staff was extremely kind and helpful. Location is not super close to Metro, but within an easy 5-10 min walk. We had a 3 year old and a wheelchair-bound family member and had no problems getting around. Rooms were really large and recently updated. In-room honor bar and fridge had all sorts of goodies...candy, munchies, soda, beer, wine...pricey, but available if you're desperate! Restaurant and room service menu is pretty limited but the food is great and the service is outstanding. Area is very safe, we felt comfortable out at night. 20 minute walk to White House on first night...gorgeous! This is not a 5 star hotel, it's not brand new, it doesn't have every available amenity. But it is perfect for travelers looking for a clean, safe, friendly inexpensive place to stay while visiting D.C. We totally enjoyed our stay at the Rouge and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for your kind words.

I am so glad that the staff made such a positive impression on you and that the price was right for what you were looking for. Hotel Rouge tries to deliver unique service suited to each individuals needs and I am pleased we were able to do so for you.

I do hope that you can come and join us again soon. Have a nice day!

Reviewed March 29, 2008

Just returned from a 2 night stay at Hotel Rouge. I was traveling with my 73 year old mother and my two children 10 an 13. Was a bit concerned that my mother would not like staying at a boutique hotel. Turned out it was a stay we all enjoyed.

We were in an Entertainment Room w/ a separate alcove with lounge chair and TV. It was great to have so much space and it also had a PS3. We were able to set up a rollaway for my son so he did not have to sleep with his mother, sister or grandmother. Beware though, if you are in a room with two queen beds they claim they will not accommodate a rollaway. Since the Kimpton 800 number had promised one, they did what they needed to keep us happy.

Breakfast in the bar was average (expensive and not too much of a selection), but staff and service were excellent. Second morning we walked to Whole Foods (on P Street) and ate breakfast, just make sure to stop in at Starbucks across the street because Whole Foods does not serve coffee.

Staff recommended Logan Tavern for dinner, food was excellent. Ended up eating there 2 nights!

Overall found the Hotel clean, comfortable beds and staff was pleasant. It was a decent walk to White House, etc, but very doable! Metro just a couple of blocks away.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2008

The Hotel Rouge has some good things. The location is convenient. The room was a fair price. The decor is funky. However by no means is this hotel worthy of fanfare for one reason: the staff running the front desk. I was planning on spending two nights in a small hotel with good attention detail. Attention to detail is not something this hotel can showcase. Wallpaper was poorly hung in the room and the pillows are for the head of an infant. The whole place tries to be sexy, but comes off as cheap and tacky.

To explain the staff in detail- I was lied to, given terrible directions, and when the AC unit wouldn't work in my room I was told, "Well you can open the window." I expect to be told the truth, given directions that could get me to the highway, and a comfortable temperature in my room. When staying in a hotel of this billing you would at least expect the truth from the staff.

Air Conditioning:
Unfortunately room 603 didn't have the AC unit on when we walked in. So I turned it on and we went to dinner. Upon returning, the AC was obviously not working. The room was 76 degrees and stuffy. I called the front desk and spoke to Sufian. He told me he would call maintenance in the basement and call me back. Here comes the lie. He explained the air conditioning was shut off in the entire building and there was nothing he could do. I said well it’s quite cool in the hallway and if all the rooms are as warm as this do you have any fans? He said no there were no fans, but that I could open the window, and that there were no other rooms available with 2 queen beds. I opened the window and enjoyed the street noise for 5 minutes and thought-- “Why am I staying here?” After packing our belongings up and going to the lobby we were only then offered a room with a king bed and were told we could switch back to a 2 queen bedroom the following evening.

Lies:
Immediately entering the new room [512] it was obvious the AC unit worked. So on one hand the hotel accommodated our request and gave us a comfortable room, but we had been lied to when he said the air conditioning in the entire building was shut off. We also had the inconvenience of moving rooms twice.

Directions:
I was trying to leave DC and get to the highway. I was unsuccessful and decided to head back to the Hotel Rouge for directions. I asked “could you tell me how to get to 495?” The woman behind the counter simply said, “No.” After some coercing she eventually presented me with internet directions and I left. But when reviewing the directions in the car she didn’t bother to give me the Hotel Rouge as a starting point instead it was from a random DC zip code. I was still lost with no directions and at that point decided my stay, because of the staff, was terrible.

The Hotel Rouge is lousy and I will always avoid Kimpton hotels in the future.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michaelgmckeon
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Stayed at the Rouge for 5 nights on business in March 08. Easy check in and nice, helpful staff. The hotel is right near Scott Circle and about two blocks from the Whole Foods on P Street. Dupont Circle is about 3 blocks away where you can hop on the metro if needed. (The metro is DC is clean and quiet, but does not have as many metro stations when compared to NYC). You're better off walking to your destination than riding the metro, in most cases.

The rooms at the Rouge are fairly large; all offer complimentary wifi access, have aveda toiletries, a basic tv, and individual cd stereo system.

The complimentary wine/beer hour is from 5 to 6pm, so don't miss it.

The "fitness room" is very small and has 3 pieces of equipment: 1 elliptical, 1 old treadmill, and 1 seated bike machine. You're much better off going to the YMCA 2 blocks away - The front desk sells passes for $5 a piece, yet other hotels offer them complimentary.

Taxis in DC work on a zone system vs a meter system. Zones are calculated by the number of designated areas the taxi drives through (even if they do a u-turn and touch another zone you'll be charged for 2 zones).

Enjoy

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed February 28, 2008

Frequent travelers may often experience staying in hotels having a sumptuous lobby but disappointing rooms. At Hotel Rouge, it is just the contrary. The guest enters the lobby through a red and obscure door reminiscent more of a bordello than of a glamorous hotel. The lobby itself is rather small, noisy and furnished with strangely shaped chairs. Next to it is the lounge bar from which emerges loud techno music by the evening. At this stage of his trip the traveler can expect the worse. After a rather smooth and fast check in, he will walk (by himself, even if he has large and heavy luggage) to a dark and frightening corridor to take the elevator. Then, things go better. The room I stayed in (single, king size bed) was huge, spotless, very comfortable and well equipped (if we exclude the archaic lighting system). It included a vast entrance, a bed that could accommodate three persons, and a desk large enough to work on (wi fi available). The bathroom is also very spacious and, although not tiled with marble, fitted with first quality bathing products. The room is also fitted with a minibar but a key – not given to the guest at check in – is necessary to open it.
What is the most disappointing is the dining option: No food is offered after 10:30 PM, breakfast is served in the Rouge Bar, a place that may be OK to hang out by night but is absolutely inappropriate (uncomfortable, unclean…) for a morning meal. The breakfast menu is itself quite poor and unattractive... Despite these disappointments, the Rouge remains a great deal as it offers great rooms for 140 USD (tax included) in a central location of Washington D.C.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo