“Trendy Hotel”

Ranked #76 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Trendy Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Loved this hotel. The rooms are very trendy and large. My kids loved the animal print robes, fish in the room and gift they received at check in. Beds were comfortable. Everything is very red - especially the hallways.

• Stayed November 2012
Jennifer H, Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear jenba97. Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that we helped to make your trip to DC more memorable!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at the Rouge over the weekend. This is a very nice hotel.

PROs:
- We had a good-sized family suite (room 714) which featured a separate area for the kids. The kid's room had a bunk bed and an X-Box (games are available for free at the front desk). Our 2 boys were very excited about this.
- Simple modern decor was very nice.
- Quiet location
- There are a number of restaurants, coffee shops, and stores two blocks East on 14th street.

CONs:
- Parking is $39 a day, plus another $10 in taxes. That's $49 a day for parking. Way too expensive!
- Service in the bar was pretty slow, primarily due to it being understaffed. We ordered drinks Saturday night and waited about 20 or 30 minutes before we had to remind the bartender of our order.
- No fan in the bathroom made sharing the facilities unpleasant.
- I'm sure many people are happy that this is a dog friendly hotel, but it's not so fun when there is a dog fight in the lobby.

Overall we enjoy the Kimpton hotels and have stayed in 4 of them in DC. We will probably try another one when we return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear jwc3. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am glad that you found our bunk bed rooms comfortable and fun for the family. They are so popular I wish we had more! We strive to make traveling easy for families and I’m glad that it shows!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Booked through a group, so was able to get a really good rate. I really enjoyed my stay. It was centrally located so I had access to the Metro (Red, Orange and Blue Lines), and was in walking distance to many places that I needed to go. The room was clean, modern and very spacious. I am a Kimpton member so I received a $10 credit for the room bar which was nice. My only concern was upon checkin when the hotel charged my card $100 per night (x4) for possible incidentals. Also, the internet costs $7.99 for 15 minutes and a $15 fee is held on your credit card. I thought all that was a bit excessive. I had more charges being held on my card than the room was worth. Otherwise I would definitely stay there again. The staff was amazing and extremely accommodating. Two thumbs up! It was the perfect home away from home during my stay.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are nice and spacious
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Harlemstyle
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Harlemstyle. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our service, location and unique decor! I am also pleased that you enjoyed the perks that come with being a Kimpton InTouch member including a $10 minibar credit and free internet! We do hold an amount on your credit card for incidentals, but whatever is not used is released at check out. Thanks!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I really enjoyed staying at the Rogue a few days ago. My room was fantastic- I stayed in an Executive King the room and its furnishings were outstanding. The staff was super accomodating as I checked in really early- something like 1230pm-. The hotel is on a quite street, which is great.

My only complaint was that the bar stools were very uncomfortable. They were the white half egg shell klind of seats. If the stools were more comfortable, I am sure I would have another scotch and a few beers, but instead I just went back to my room to crash out for the night.

Breakfast was great. I would suggest ordering from the menu. The French Toast was excellent! I would definately stay here over the Helix as the Helix is practically around the corner from The Rogue!

Excellent stay though!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Philly R
Dear PhillyR. Thank you for being a fan of Hotel Rouge and Kimpton Hotels! We look forward to welcoming you back!
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Very pleasant hotel staff, nice rooms. I had a king size room in a corner at it was plenty big for one and also for two. Room 316 was wvwn bigger and had really nice windows and light.
Everything is very red so if you do not like that colour then stay away.
Its in walking disance from everything (if you lije to walk like a Scandinavian ;-) 1 km to the White House so perfect for the morning run.

Can only recommend this place. My only two regrets, they didnt reflll the body loting tubes and the breakfast was not included in the rate.

Room Tip: 316 and the rooms across from the elevator looked really big.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear tlha. Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that we helped to make your trip to DC more memorable!
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hotel Rouge. It was one of the two choicesfor accomodations for a "destination wedding". It is located in near the Dupont Circle area , within walking distance to the metro and many choices for dining. I "joined" the Kimpton Hotel guest program and upon arrival, I was not only greated by name, but I got a hand written note welcoming me to the hotel.
The staff was extremely accomodating for every little or big request . From the desk clerks to the house managers -they even remember where you go and they inquire if you had a good time on your return. The rooms are spacious, and beautifully decorated. (Although there is agreat deal of red in the decor throughout and the carpet pattern is a little dizzying late at night after a drink or two!)
The hotel has a small area in the lobby for coffee in the am served gratis or you can go into the bar for breakfast. The menu is pricey for what you get, but it is DC and convienient, although extremely slow service.
Also, parking is available, valet only and is also pricey.
My only real problem was driving in and finding the hotel. The entrance does not face the main street and the traffic circles in DC are notorious. All in all, we throughroughly enjoyed our stay and it was only a block from the wedding venue!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rakdanit
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Rakdanit. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our great service, location and unique decor! I am also pleased that you enjoyed the perks that come with being a Kimpton InTouch member. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Desert Hot Springs, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

First warning, this hotel is between two different metro stops so you’re going to taking a walk if you’re going to either one. It is right next to the Dupont Circle area and it was safe any hour of the day.

The hotel is really pretty, the décor is VERY red and the service was fantastic. What I would say I liked most about the hotel was the nice little touches in the rooms. My friend and I had arrived early and were lucky enough to have a room available. The room had animal print robes and an umbrella ready for us in the closet (with the safe) and I thought those were neat little personal touches. There was a mini-bar in the room and although I never used it, you could see some of the weird items inside (such as wax lips). The beds were comfy and the heater worked well. The hot water was quick and the water pressure was nice.

There is a free wine hour that we did not make but since we were there on the weekend, we made the pizza/bloody mary mix time. I love when hotels give free finger foods because I’m always snackish anyway.

The workout room needed air conditioning. There were two fans in there and it did not keep it cool enough. The workout room was in the basement and was open 24 hours a day. The machines were new and there was only one TV for the whole room but it didn’t bother me since I was the only one in there.

We had the cupcake trio from the hotel bar and it was delicious. The bar was cute and trendy and the décor matched the rest of the hotel.

I loved the area the hotel was in although I would like to stay closer to the metro stops in the future. Definitely recommend the hotel if you don’t mind a pretty, safe walk in D.C. to the metro.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear LilPiggyQT. We pride ourselves on a clean, comfortable and welcoming hotel with unique touches that make us stand out above the rest so we thank you for noticing!