“upscale boutique hotel,beware bar prices”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #82 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 24, 2012

For a 'chain' this was definately a great hotel,but on the more expensive side.The reception area was beautiful and modern,the rooms reflected opulence and style with bold colours and striking carpeting to say the least.The design itself maximised space with lots of closet /drawer space and although chic and hip,managed to retain a sense of comfort and warmth.The bar and restaurant were beautiful! Again bold red with diamante lighting fixtures reflecting the light, and a separate room with red walls and comfortable white couches was off to the side,where we were able to sit and relax with our 'very expensive' glasses of wine.The waiter was exceptionally chatty and friendly and we had a great time.It wasn't the perfect location for us,but then again we should have researched better

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear silkfunkybrit. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our atmosphere, style and service! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

We were impressed with the considered decor in our spacious and well maintained room. First class bedding and related facilities. Helpful Doorman and staff. Well placed, proximate to major tourist attractions and nearby restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John A
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear John A. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am pleased that you enjoyed our location, atmosphere and friendly, helpful service. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed June 14, 2012

My daughter and I had a nice night at Rouge but holy cow...interesting place. The photos don't do it justice. Red leather banquettes, zebra print carpeting and a ton of red paint and mid modern furniture. I think they are going for a 50s mid modern sensibility but for me, it just didn't work. Mind you, it's a Kimpton so the service is very good, the people who work there genuinely want you to have a good time, and they will bend over backwards to help you out. Moreover, red leather/white leather headrests are more a style statement than a hit on their functionability. This is a hotel I think most people under 40 would think was a smashing success and a real hoot too.
I just happen to be older than that.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hotelfan
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear hotelfan. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am glad that you found our service and staff to be friendly. We genuinely want every guest to have a good time and a great experience and I’m glad that it shows. If our atmosphere was not your cup of tea, we have plenty of Kimpton Hotels with different types of décor to choose from in DC and we hope that during your next trip we can find a better fit for you!

Reviewed June 14, 2012

What do you need in a hotel when visiting DC with children, a clean hotel, comfy beds, with quiet room, close to all of the sites and good value. For us the Rouge checked all of those boxes. On arrival the outside doesn’t show the real potential, once inside the hotel though dark is nicely decorated. We had booked a queen room on a special break price and they upgraded us to a room with two bunk beds and a separate area for the children to sleep, this is a fantastic idea and allow parents to be able to settle down the children without having to be deadly quiet. The upgrade was an immediate saving of over a $100 per night, which was on top of an easy to use best price guarantee and $25 room credit they had already given us.

The room was very clean, and so quiet that we didn’t hear another thing once we were in the room. We asked via email, for a room facing the street on a pet free floor and requests were met quickly and on arrival it was mentioned that we had made those requests.

Staff were amazing, really good with the children and when we were relaxing in the lobby after getting back from a hard day of site seeing, drinking the free flavoured water or the if lucky enough to be back on time for the free wine tasting the staff always made time to ask how the childrens day was.

We had breakfast in the hotel on one day, reasonably priced and lots available. Free coffee and tea in the morning was also available in the lobby. We bought breakfast from Wholefoods not far away and stored milk in the mini bar which was very cold and large. Wholefoods is also good for cheap meals after a long day, just make sure you know how much a pound is or it can be expensive, their pizza is very good and is mentioned a lot on the forums. Near Wholefoods are some shops including Starbucks and some restaurants which though we didn’t try were very busy and smelt very good.

The White House is 10 minutes away, other sites 20/25 minutes away, easy walking distance even with 2 small children, Dupont Circle is close by.

There are two negatives, the bathroom was incredibly small, not really big enough when trying to bathe small children so could have been larger. If you request a taxi make sure you ask for one with a meter and not a town car, the town car they got us was nearly $40 more expensive than the taxi that took us in the other direction.

Dont forget to register for Kimpton rewards its free and comes with free internet, it was quite slow and kept failing and you can raid the mini bar for up to $10.

Overall an excellent stay and would recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: just ask they are happy to help
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Dear Eslik. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your trip to DC and I am so happy that The Rouge made your visit more memorable. We pride ourselves in making traveling with family easy and more comfortable and we are thrilled that you noticed. Come back soon!

Reviewed June 12, 2012

I love Rouge! I have stayed there several times, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The themse is modern and of course includes a lot of red tones. The rooms are spacious, with cool furniture and accessories. They even include lepard and zebra robes for guests to use during their stay. They offer high quality shampoo and conditioners, and the shower gel smells kind of minty/aromatherapy-like, makes one relax when taking a nice hot shower after a long day. Beds are comfortable and they offer a lot of pillows some soft and other more firm, so can suit your personal taste. I've stayed in 3 different types of rooms: a regular king size room, a suite with a king size bed, bunk beds, and sitting area (very nice and spacious) - bunk beds were separated with curtains for privacy :) The third type of room was a king size, with sitting area and kitchenette - great if you are staying there for a while, so you can make your own coffee and eat a quick meal. Includes a microwave, coffee maker, fridge. It is conveniently located, so you can take metro or walk to many nearby attractions. It is a boutique hotel, so smaller than national chains. Definitely worth checking out.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room away from the elevator. They also allow pets, so might be worth asking if th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear Ljd619. Thank you for sharing your experiences and recommending the Rouge to other travelers. We love that you enjoy our unique décor and great amenities. It is great to see comments from one of your frequent guests and to hear feedback about our different rooms! We’ll see you soon and thanks again!

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Of the 3 Kimptons we stayed at on our east coast tour, this had the biggest room and I thought the best bang for my buck. The bath was smaller and the decor less glamorous than the Eventi property but adequate. The bed was OK, the pillows hard and uncomfortable. I give it a 4 because I thought the price was great given the location and prices of other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear migobeachnow. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am pleased that you found us to be a great value! We look forward to hearing more feedback from your tour of the Kimpton Brand during your travels.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is a cool trendy hotel, different from your average chain hotel. Easy to find and good location to do touristy things. The rooms are very large for a downtown city hotel and the decorations were very unique and fun. I would stay there again. Only had one small problem and I think this was more with an individual person. I called a day before check in to ask about parking gararges and the person who I spoke with had no idea or addresses or information about where to park my car, she suggested that I google it. So I did and I found a garage but she failed to tell me that the hotel offers valet parking and the fee for the parking. Upon check-in the desk attendant informed me of this and I parked my car at the hotel. Maybe she was new and didn't have this information. It was a good stay, nice place, and at the end of the day, the parking all worked out.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear karah5835. Thank you for your review. We love to hear that traveler’s find us to be unique and fun! We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to DC and thank you for being a Rouge fan!