“Oops - I should have realized this was a Hyatt hotel”

Park Hyatt Washington
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed September 17, 2010

I was so looking forward to staying at the Park Hyatt hotel in DC over the Memorial Day weekend. The location of the hotel is ideal – it is a short walk to Georgetown and Dupont Circle. I reserved our room through Platinum AMEX travel (free upgrade) and I thought that I had booked several nights at a luxury hotel. I overlooked the fact that this is part of the less desirable Hyatt brand, but I still found it hard to believe that our room was considered an upgrade. Our “suite” had a combined bedroom and living area that was separated by an entertainment center wall with a flat panel TV that swiveled between the two rooms. The living area had three small slip-covered chairs and a desk – all were hardly comfortable. The bathroom was large, but it had a sliding door, no separate water closet and offered limited privacy. The closet did not provide enough storage, the AC struggled to keep the room cool during the late Spring heat and the satellite TV went out during a late night NBA playoff game. We even had a problem with housekeeping; they failed to leave extra towels despite a special request and very generous tip. We were constantly on the phone reporting problems with our room. The housekeeping manager offered an apology and surprised us with a complimentary treat – the Blue Duck Tavern apple pie – it was heaven. Other than that, we did not dine at the restaurant but it, along with the Tea Cellar seemed very lively every day we were in the hotel. The valet parking guys were great – efficient, professional and welcomed us back, etc. The front desk staff was trying hard to please, but they appeared to be in training and struggled a bit. I spoke with the hotel Manager (Tiffany) during our stay and she tried to amends for our less than satisfactory stay, but by then, we were certain that this property is overrated and overpriced.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,924)

Reviewed September 13, 2010

Travelling with friends in the business has its benefits, as I was hosted in the identical hotel, at two times my normal budget. The hotel appears emblem new - everything is clean and sparkling.The rooms are large, and the bathing room is fantastic. Everything appeared of high value, the gym is very good and the nourishment is very good. ServiceIs of the largest benchmark and the staff is joyous to cater for all your needs. The position is furthermore very good, inside a short walk of Georgetown.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
PHWExecutiveOffice, Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2010

Dear CarterNick,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

My colleagues and I are most grateful for your positive and generous compliments and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel or any Park Hyatts in the world.

Again, thank you.

Executive Assistant to the General Manager / Area Vice President

Reviewed September 12, 2010

The service at The Park Hyatt is exceptional. It has been a few years since I stayed at this property and I was extremely satisfied with their attention to detail and prompt response to requests. I am a Hyatt Diamond member which may have some influence on service, but I can recommend this property with confidence.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2010

This was my third stay at this hotel in the past two years. The first two times, I was in DC for business and was treated to a superb room and fantastic service. This time, I visited with my partner for the weekend. Sans business attire, the front desk was not as welcoming and the room was not what I remembered. That is not to say the room wasn't lovely, but it could have been in better condition (e.g., the carpet felt a bit worn and the sink could use some new sealant along the marble edges). Additionally, given how quiet the hotel felt, I was surprised I was not offered the option to upgrade from the basic room. A bit disappointing considering how much I enjoyed my first two stays.

The bright spot was breakfast in the lounge. Both the meal and the service were excellent.

Overall, if you're a young professional, I'd recommend this hotel if you plan to wear a suit during your stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear CityGreenSpace,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

This will only allow us to improve on our services and focus on the areas much needed.

Please accept our apologies for leaving you with the perception we focus more on business travelers. We cater to various clientele regardless of attire or age.

We hope you give us another opportunity to surprise and delight you again in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of additional assistance.

Executive Assistant to the General Manager/ Area Vice President

Reviewed August 30, 2010

The first room I had the bathroom door would not stay closed and housekeeping had not left any soap or shampoo also we had requested 2 double beds they were single beds. The hotel does not have double beds. The manager Teresa swtiched rooms but never followed up. They must be so used to unhappy customers that they don't care. Upon getting off the elevator on the 10th floor the carpet was filthy. The room was bare. No pictures on walls. No mirror in bedroom. TV came blasting on at 4:30am. remote could not shut it off. Towels were not replaced when used. The bathroom had no fan. There were no draws to put any clothes in. Just one small closet. The only good thing I can say about the hotel is the car valet was excellent. The door man was also good. The front desk was way below par. I would say it felt like what I would expect from a Motel 6 or a holiday Inn. Certainly not a 5 Star $400.00 a night hotel. Upon check out they charged us for a bottle of wine and some snacks. We had not used anything and they did take that off bill.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
PHWExecutiveOffice, Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2010

Dear Tkrmy3boys,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Please be advised during your stay, the hotel experienced an unexpected power surge. This led to the televisions, including yours, to power on beyond our control. This was an isolated incident; one in which could not have been prevented. We sincere apologize for the disruption this caused during your sleep.

The problems incurred with housekeeping should not have been experienced. Your experience has been shared with our team.

Regarding the hotel's decor and available space, our hotel was designed to reflect a contemporary environment with traditional American touches. This concept is also seen in the clean and fresh style decor of our sleeping rooms. Each room is configured to house twin beds rather than double beds found in traditional hotels. This was explained at the time of the original booking.

We appreciate and value your feedback. If your plans call for a return to Washingon DC, please do not hesitate to conctact me personally, so I can ensure your next visit with us is both flawless and desirable.

Executive Assistant to the GM / Area Vice President

Reviewed August 28, 2010

We really enjoyed our 3-night stay in late August. The family package booked direct gave us a 2nd room at a fraction of the usual cost and breakfast was included for all. The front desk staff were very friendly and we made frequent use of the complimentary bike hire; good way to travel between the various memorials. Although the pool and fitness centre were well-equipped, and sky-lit, you have to walk along a dark corridor and down some back stairs to get there. It's a shame there is no direct access. All in all, a good base for families to explore Washington DC.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I have to admit, we came here because of free award travel, but that does not influence this review....This hotel is really special....Bathrooms are gorgeous, zen-like, and the shower in our jr. suite could accomodate a family of 4!! The best part, however, was the incredibly attentive staff all throughout the hotel. And how about the free limo shuttle? A couple of downsides: the bed was not as comfortable( ala Westin Heavenly Bed.)..a bit hard for me....and the restaurant/bar is pricey. That being said, there are lots of places to go for breafast around the corner that wont break the bank....Lovely Georgetown location....if you are walkers you can get to the Lincoln Memorial on foot in about 20-25 minutes....subway drops you a 10 min walk to hotel. The other postive reviewers got it right.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple