“Nice hotel, with some flaws though”

Park Hyatt Washington
Ranked #24 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Stayed at the Park Hyatt for 4 days in a premier deluxe room. Overall, it's a nice 5-star hotel in DC. The room was spacious, and well maintained and furnished. And staff were generally professional. The location is not in a touristic part of DC but is in a rather calm and quiet part of town in Foggy Bottom. There are no stores/restaurants in the immediate vicinity. But that's not an issue if you like to walk (and DC is a nice city to walk in).

So why do I give it 4 stars? A few reasons:

1) Despite the room being very nice, there were two major flaws with it. First, the "walk-in shower" had no door to it, so you're literally standing in the bathroom and taking a shower. Add to that the somewhat lukewarm water and you end up having a rather cold shower experience! I don't understand why the architects failed to close the walk-in shower (grateful for a response from the Hotel on this!).

2) The wardrobe in the room is actually in the bathroom, with the wardrobe door doubling as the bathroom door. This is the first time I come across such a set-up. It meant that I needed to go back and forth between the bathroom and the bedroom while dressing up. And it also meant that I had the wardrobe open inside the bathroom while using the toilet or shower. Very odd. Again, a rationale for this architectural design would be appreciated!

Would I recommend this hotel? Yes, if you can get a good deal and aren't too fussy about the points I raise above!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Paradectral A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,901)

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We stayed for a few nights mid-February (as did the Dalai Lama), and it was just wonderful. The staff is friendly but not hyper, well-trained, and all-around lovely. There is a tea salon in the lobby and the fantastic Blue Duck Tavern -- what a treat for breakfast. Comfortable and handsome modern design. The sticky buns, muesli and unusual fresh fruit juices were my favorites; my husband and son loved the eggs. Our room was terrific -- comfortable, well designed in neutral tones, enough outlets to charge everyone's devices, Le Labo products in the bath. The location worked fine for us -- a quiet area (a mix of residential and offices) that was a short stroll to the Metro. Can't wait to have a reason to return. Thank you to the entire staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Concierge, Amy Szeto. She is a maker of dreams come true! We were not even staying at this hotel, but at the airport Hyatt. Came for the restaurant, Blue Duck Tavern, for our 15th Anniversary. It was TOTAL enjoyment. But the night was about to end early due to my sprained ankle from earlier in day. We had planned to take cabs all over to see some night sights, but my foot was killing me. We went to Amy for a cab back to the Ritz to pick up our luggage, then head to airport Hyatt. Amy was soo sweet and asked us to pause while she went to talk to some people. The next thing we knew we were living our dream, only it was WAY better than we dreamed it! Will never be able to repay her... (and Z). Anniversary near in ruin turned to one of the best Ever, and Amy didn't even know it was our Anniversary... Xoxo to everyone we encountered at Hyatt!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StewardessFl
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We spent three nights at this hotel following a 4 night work meeting at another hotel.

Check in was fast and efficient, front desk agent was friendly and gave us a nice run down of the hotels features.

We stayed in an upgraded room on the 7th floor. I loved the minimalist design of the rooms and decor. The bathroom was huge. I really appreciated the walk in shower room area with the overhead rain shower and wall mounted shower head. It is nice to have options! The water pressure in the shower was great! The closet area is also in the bathroom portion of the room, it would have been nice to have some drawers instead of baskets for items that did not need hangers. The bed was great, which is one of my main criteria when judging a hotel room.

We had several meals in the hotel and made use of the lounge on several occasions as well. The food was great, service was hot and cold, dependent on the visit. The food and cocktails are very interesting and geared towards the foodie mentality.

We used the concierge on several occasions, and found her to be quite helpful in recommendations and tips for seeing DC.

The location is right on the edge of Georgetown, in a quiet location, which suited us just fine. Would we stay here again? Definitely we have a pleasant overall stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2014

As you can see from other reviews I have written,there are phenomenal DC hotels that we love. But those were full, we had no flexibility about travel dates and our travel agent insisted this was a fine hotel that we would enjoy. Time for a new travel agent.
Location is only so so, and the area around the hotel was deserted at 10pm as we walked four blocks back from dinner.
Check in was a 40 minute ordeal, occupying 3desk clerks even though we had confirmed reservations for two suites. At no time did anyone explain, even after we asked, why this happened - just some mumbling about it being busy because of spring break.
Each room was disappointing. Avoid 632, which looks like a dentists reception area, and 626, which has stained carpet and a scratchy sofa that looks like it was recycled from an airport lounge in the Mad Men era.
Our stay was also marred by a minibar sensor that began buzzing loudly in the middle of the night (made worse when the hotel insisted it couldn't be unplugged and had a maintenance person come who, after a half hour, packed the sensor with toilet tissue because he said he didn't have the authority to disconnect it)!
Also disappointing was low water pressure and bursts of cold water in a moring shower.
A room service lunch promised in 30 minutes arrived in 55 minutes and was awful, a stale bun, unpleasant gristle in hamburger and no one bothered to ask why we didn't eat when they collected the tray.
A paltry adjustment to the bill did nothing to make up for two unpleasant, costly, rooms..

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 626 or 632, both duds billed as luxury suites.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank SEWscout
Reviewed April 5, 2014

After reading the online reviews, photos, and information on this hotel I was looking forward to a train journey and subsequent stay in DC at the Park Hyatt from March 26-28. I've been meaning to stay at a Park Hyatt ever since seeing the movie "Lost in Translation", and visiting, but not staying at, the Park Hyatt during a trip to Tokyo several years ago. I'm sorry to say that my stay here left a very poor first impression upon me in regards to Hyatt.

I was looking forward to a restful stay as the purpose of my trip was a rest and downtime before taking a series of work related exams. I decided to splurge and get a suite. Upon my arrival at exactly 3pm, the check in time, I was curtly informed that none of the suites were ready and was invited to have a seat in the lobby where I proceeded to wait, and wait, and wait some more. Some 90 minutes later, just I was about to ask if they had forgotten about me, I was informed that my suite was ready. At one point while sitting in one of their lobby chairs I began to nod off and awoke to find a hotel staff member staring at me as if I had engaged in some uncouth behavior. I was tired and all I wanted to do was get my room so I could take a rest and freshen up before going for a walk in the area and going out for dinner. Instead I was forced to while away the sunny afternoon time waiting in a lobby to check into a room that should have been ready before I arrived. I've had a similar experiences at other hotels, most recently at the Hilton in downtown Cincinnati, and you know what they did? ... They apologized and upgraded me to get my checked in immediately. And in that instance I arrived early, unlike at the Park Hyatt where I arrived at check in time.

My suite was #1002, a nice spot at the very end of the hall in a corner, and the bed was comfortable, but the pleasantries seemed to end there.

I felt it to be a chintzy experience. When I arrived I thought I'd call down and ask about the spa. I picked up the phone on the work desk, but it didn't work. I called down on the phone in my bedroom and they said they would be there to take care of it (which they did come and replaced the phone later). They also took the opportunity to tell me there were two phones in the suite … well, I already knew that since I was calling on it, so I took that to convey I was being a bother. There was a scale in the bathroom that didn't work either, just gave me an "err" message. I didn't dare ask about that. I would rather not have an amenity in my room than have one that does not work. Let me say that again, I would rather not have an amenity in my room than have one that does not work. In the marketing industry this is called called Herzberg's hygiene factors; things perhaps small, which one may not complain about, but that are conducive to a lack of satisfaction. Another good example of this one would be the complementary Evian water bottles left in the room, which would be really nice if it didn't seem they were refilled with tap water! Who wants to drink something that is suppose to be sealed and isn't. It was obvious the bottle was opened before. I mean, come on. It's something a cheap Al Bundy-like guest would do at a motel 6 to avoid paying for it, but of course these bottles were free so I don't think it was the previous guest as much as it was the hotel being cheap or the maid just being too lazy to get some more, you know, unopened ones. I did get a chuckle at the thought of some hotel employee saying to themselves "oh the stupid guest will never know"…. So, as I'm thirsty after staring at this bottle early in the morning and realizing it had already been opened do I really feel comfortable drinking from it? I'd kind of feel like a real elitist tool calling down and complaining about a bottle of water, but it did really kind of disappoint me. So off to the CVS I went get some bottles of water for the night; so much for that convince.

Anyway, I found out the "spa" is just a room where they call someone in from outside the hotel if you make an appointment though the concierge and there isn't really a spa there per se. The phone they replaced stopped working, but I didn't call about it again, and just used the other one.

What really pissed me off the most was when I checked out. My train didn't leave DC until after 4pm, so I called down to ask for a late check out. One would think this wouldn't be a problem seeing how I had to wait over an hour and a half from my arrival, at check in time, to check in. But, oh no they could only extend my check out time to 1pm at the latest. I guess they wanted to have the suite ready for the next guest and not keep them waiting; how thoughtful.

In light of all this you think they could do something to make things right before I left, perhaps apologize. Sorry that we couldn't give you a late check out after making you wait over 90 minutes to check in when you arrived, but alas none. 'It's okay to make you wait and inconvenience you, but we wouldn't want to do that to our other guests' was the impression I got. They didn't even do so much as comp me for the $7 beer I had from the mini-bar.

I've had far better experiences at Hampton Inns. I won't be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank vagabond4co
Reviewed April 5, 2014

This hotel is getting better - am semi regular visitor and after last stay I can't praise highly enough. Restaurant and bar are my favourites in DC - great wine list, organic local food, and this trip staff were stand out from an airline expert on front desk to breakfast staff. I was upgraded as a Platinum GP and had a great room. It is not perfectly located but was easy enough walk from State Dept and other meetings. Superb stay

Room Tip: High floor helps
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business