“Perfect Weekend Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
san francisco
“Perfect Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Excellent spot for a last minute weekend in Washington DC. The hotel is nicely designed, clean, unfussy colors and lines, soothing to look at and be in. Had a nice suite end suite on the 10th floor with two balconies one overlooking M Street and the other right up against the wall of the neighboring building. Huge couch that took up most of the long thin living room, with a separate powder room, large walk-in closet, big bathroom with a walk-in shower and tub that was just as large as the closet. The only critique I'd offer is that, as mentioned elsewhere, the lighting and air-con controls are a little complicated to use and not intuitive. Perhaps this is a by product of have wheels on suitcases which nowadays eliminates being escorted to your room and being shown how everything works. One other thing that needs tweeking is a fit and finish item, the door to the suite squeaked loudly whenever you opened it, and the door to the toilet in the bathroom had warped and would not open/close without considerable effort. Others have mentioned being annoyed by the nearby firetruck - have to say we didn't hear it once.

Everyone on staff was welcoming and ready to accommodate. Breakfast in the Blueduck Tavern was well prepared, filled you up for the day ahead and the service was spot on.

The hotel might seem out of the way to some as it's not in the midst of the city center, Georgetown, or Dupont Circle, but it's easy enough to get to all those places by taxi, and in some cases on foot. The Lincoln Memorial is a straight shot down 23rd Street from the hotel and you can walk there in about 20 minutes. Similarly Dupont Circle and Georgetown are easy strolls away as well. The hotel has complimentary car service to nearby locations during the week, and perhaps the best perk was the complimentary bikes for guests to use. The bikes are loaned out for 4 hours and come with helmets, bike locks and water -so touring the Mall is a breeze. The concierge and front door staff all had great suggestions on where to go, how to get there and made sure we were comfortable with the bikes. Don't miss out on this perk.

All in all, a great base for a weekend in DC!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear SFworldtraveller,

Thank you for sharing such an complimentary review of our hotel and Blue Duck Tavern restaurant. We really appreciate you recommending us for a "perfect weekend getaway" in D.C. It sounds like you had an enjoyable stay with us - from the comfort of your suite to the complimentary bicycles to the service of our team.

Also, thank you for letting us know about the issues with your doors. I have shared your comments with our Engineering team to make those corrections.

We look forward to having you back with us again soon.

Director of Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I love, love, LOVE this hotel! From the time I pulled out until check-out, everything was top notch service. When I pulled up, the valet opened my door, and insisted that he get my bags for me. As I walked in, the next doorman carried my bags down the steps to the check-in counter. The check-in process was smooth and efficient and upon getting my keys, yet another doorman took my bags to the elevator. I felt like a princess! The room was comfortable, modern, and sleek. The platform bed was one of the most peaceful sleeps I've had in recent memory. The room had a central lighting control system which was pretty cool. The location was right near the tip of Georgetown, close to lots of shopping. I'd definitely recommend staying at this property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ohgyrl
Dear ohgyrl,

Thank you for sharing such a terrific review of our hotel! It certainly sounds like you had a wonderful visit with our team making you feel right at home. We appreciate you taking the time to recommend us to others and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Aldie, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt for a wedding. Our room was not ready until 3:35 p.m. and then we had to wait for our luggage. The last piece arrived at 3:55. Others in our party received their rooms even later. The rehearsal started at 4:00 p.m. so we threw on clean clothes over our sweaty bodies and ran for the elevator. There is nothing like hosting a rehearsal dinner when you are feeling grungy. Also all of the mirrors in the room were in the bathroom. Two people cannot get ready at the same time. The Hyatt site talks about pictures on the wall for upgraded rooms, if you do not pay for the upgrade you get nothing on your walls. While everyone was very friendly, staying here creates too much stress, who wants to pay for that. I am sure that you can find a better hotel for the money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear CindyofVienna,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. While we strive to create a wonderful stay for our guests, especially when here to celebrate a joyous occasion as a wedding, we clearly fell short during your visit.

Please note that our check-in time is at 3:00 pm, so I do apologize that your room was not ready until shortly after. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping team for further review.

We do hope to exceed your expectations, should you choose to stay with us again.

Swarthmore, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I rarely write a negative review but this hotel does not deserve to be #6 in Washington, DC. The Pros: Our room was a premier king and it was large with a great bathroom and the air conditioning was good. The Cons: Room service charges $5 plus the 18% service charge plus $5 more if you need ice. We needed the ice because they bring the drinks in a tiny glass like the ones you find in the bathroom and they hold about two cubes of ice. The first time they brought ice, they brought about five cubes for $5 so the second time I asked for a bigger container and they complied. The food is not good from room service and it was cold because they just brought it up on a tray not in a little oven. After waiting in line for fifteen minutes to check in, the front desk woman let someone else check in right in front of me. Several staff people witnessed it but no one did anything to intervene. There is a tea lounge and I asked for a glass of iced tea. The woman said they did not make iced tea. I told her to just brew a pot of hot tea and I would pour it over some ice. She spoke limited English and after telling her five times what I wanted, she brought a pot of cold tea with ice in it and expected the tea to brew. Our room package came with breakfast and I asked if we could have room service breakfast and they said no. Even though the menu was the same, we had to come to the restaurant. My husband loved the oatmeal at the Blue Duck but I asked for a well done omelet and I got a cold, runny, barely cooked omelet. The cheese was not even melted and the ham was ice cold. The next day I ordered a waffle. It was cold as well. I can see why one of the reviewers could not figure out if the breakfast was a buffet. The Blue Duck restaurant has food sitting out all over the place uncovered, even at the entrance. Open concept cooking? We were overcharged for the minibar. They even charged for a Hershey bar my husband brought from home. He left the wrapper on the table. I wanted to go to the Hillwood Museum for the day and asked the concierge for advice on how to get back from the museum if a cab dropped me off. She told me that I could not count on calling a cab and the Metro was over a mile away and hard to find. That was it. Later I found out that the hotel has a house car that could have picked me up. There were also other ways to get back to the hotel which were never mentioned. Saturday morning I went back to the concierge desk to find out what other things I could do, if I did not go to the museum. No concierge in sight and no one else could help. I got help across the street at the Fairmont. The spa menu listed a few treatment packages which were all VERY expensive, like $350 to $500. I called to see if I could just get a massage and was told no. Three weeks before our trip, I tried to make a reservation for afternoon tea at the tea lounge and the person on the phone said they were full. I asked if she could call me if they had a cancelation. They did not call but the day before we left I called again and this woman said no problem. I got a reservation. This is just a sampling of the issues. It was not a pleasant stay. I really am not that picky but I was annoyed at every turn. What should have been a fun getaway was a very frustrating experience. Stay somewhere else.

2 Thank Lynn23
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

The location is amazing, just a couple of blocks to Georgetown center, service amazing, the beds are super comfortable. The decor very nice, great food and breakfast. I love this hotel, and the price is really affordable

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear BEUGGIE,

Thank you sharing such a nice review of our property. It is wonderful to read how much you enjoyed your stay - from the decor of your guestroom to the service of our team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was our first visit to the Park Hyatt for which we reserved a "view premier deluxe" corner room. Room 332 was indeed a corner room, albeit one with windows on just one side. Unlike some other hotels, the Park Hyatt honored my request to be far away from the elevators. Our room had a sleek, contemporary feel; we especially enjoyed the large bathroom (a soaking tub with a separate rain shower), the comfy robes, and the separate sitting area. The air conditioning system worked well and we barely felt the air blowing. The windows are well-insulated. While our room was on a lower floor (the 3rd floor), we did not hear any street traffic or noise from the comings and goings of the Westin hotel across the street. Really enjoyed the Blue Duck Tavern's hash browns and the egg with crispy pork belly, which I would definitely order again. When leaving, we had a chance to see a non-suite room on the third floor (what I believe is referred to as a "park deluxe king" on the website). It was one of the larger non-suite hotel rooms that we have seen and would make for a very comfortable stay.

Dear NYCityTravelers,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It sounds like you had a very enjoyable stay and have become a fan of our hotel. I will be sure to share your comments with our team. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Blue duck resturant is the highlight of this hotel. We enjoyed an amazing meal here, the best we had in the USA. We also found the front desk and restaurant staff to be very friendly and helpful, especially compared with some ordinary service we had received throughout America. This was true 5 star service and facilities.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LCPB,

Wow!!! Thanks for such amazing feedback on our restaurant, Blue Duck Tavern! We are extremely appreciative of your generous comments and thank you for naming us the best in the USA. Should your travels bring you back to the nation's capital, we certainly hope to see you again.