“Awesome Hotel, Unique rooms, Perfect location”

Park Hyatt Washington
Ranked #21 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Chicago, Illinois
“Awesome Hotel, Unique rooms, Perfect location”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at here during a weekend in DC. We were upgraded to a junior suite which was one of my all-time favorite rooms I have stayed in, at any hotel, EVER. The room was very unique with incredible amenities are decor. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the DC area.

The hotel staff was great and the stay was very memorable, walking distance to foggy bottom and Georgetown. The only item the hotel could improve upon was that the gym was nothing special and there was no spa to enjoy as in the other Park Hyatt's I've stayed at. otherwise it was perfect.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear DDaniel24,

Thank you for sharing feedback on your rest stay with us. We are so happy to read how much you enjoyed your room upgrade and certainly appreciate you recommending us to others. Regarding the spa, we do house an intimate spa room adjacent to our fitness center for guests and area residents to enjoy a vast variety of services. Additionally, any of these treatments are also available in a guestroom. Perhaps next time you visit you will be able to take advantage of a relaxing treatment. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Director of Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We got a terrific rate over Easter through Expedia but this is where any semblance of value stopped.

When we checked out, our hotel bill was zero. I certainly understand that hotels need to make money however the prices for the restaurants, room service and laundry was the most exorbitant I have ever experienced and literally double the price at other comparable hotels. Breakfast was $40 plus tax plus service. To have a t-shirt washed was $14 (+ tax). The prices on the hotel spa menu (I looked out of curiosity) was around $250/hr plus tax.

The room itself was spacious and lovely with fantastic bedding, a great shower and full size bath. There are certainly no complaints here.

The hotel is at Foggy-bottom - a very nice upmarket neighbourhood and directly across the street from the Westin and the Fairmont. It is certainly very safe. The only problem with this neighbourhood is the difficulty in finding anywhere to eat after 8pm at night (or else be held to randsom by the Hyatt!). The hotel is a five minute walk to the nearest Metro station which is good to get around town.

The hotel gym was OK and the reasonably well equipped. We did not use the pool at this time of year. The service at the front desk was variable.

Overall, the place is lovely and If I could get the same rate I would choose it again. I would just take a taxi somewhere else for dinner.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank hotsyd22
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here recently & unfortunately had a very disappointing experience.. Where do I start?
1. Check in - waited 5- 10 minutes to be checked in on arrival. Asked about breakfast rate & were told they would contact us later to let us know what they could offer us but nobody ever called us! We weren't made aware of courtesy bikes, car at hotel, gym, pool, facilities or offered a tour of the hotel? Surely these are all fantastic selling opportunities for your guests to reccomend you?
Weren't asked whether we wanted to book table in hotel restaurant (so when we did there were no tables available!). Surely the fact the hotel restaurant gets so booked up is reason to offer reservation to hotel guests on arrival and check in?!!
NO information was provided to us at all.
Probably the poorest check in we have ever experienced.

2. Room - we paid for a VIEW room at a rate of 550 US dollars a night but were put on 3rd floor with no view! The shower head was hanging out of the ceiling!

3. Location - great location near Georgetown and shops and close to metro stop but were never offered a map we had to ask.

4. Breakfast - first morning we went down for breakfast & had to ask what rate had been given to us as nobody had bothered calling us as arranged. The breakfast was over priced & quite honestly very poor standard ( luke warm coffee, dry cold toast,) We found a lovely cafe round the corner from hotel called bread & Chocolate and got breakfast every day after that for under 25 dollars for delicious food and happy polite servers!. Half the price of what the hotel were charging us!

4. Final gripe is our room was not serviced after going out from 8.30 til 2.45pm! We came back to it as we left it & when we rang to ask why were told the rooms can be cleaned anytime up until 5.30pm??? Never stayed anywhere that has this policy which seems absurd when you are paying the rate we were in this standard of hotel!

We stay in wonderful hotels and small B&Bs all over the world and can honestly say that for the money we have spent this is the most dissapointing hotel experience we have had. Obviously Park Hyatts massively vary as we stayed in Toronto last year and it was fabulous with some of the best service we have ever had.
Also would like to say that on a positive note Ryan the concierge was the most professional person we dealt with during our stay and helped us with restaurant bookings and other information. He went out of his way to assist us which is the kind of service we would expect in a Park Hyatt.
The doormen were also very polite as courteous.

Washington is a wonderful city with incredible sights but next time we shall choose a different hotel and would certainly not reccomend the Park Hyatt... :((

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank stephy777
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 11, 2013

There was quite a mix of people staying here business travelers and sightseers , overall I really enjoyed the stay. The room was a nice size, clean and the bed was very comfortable. The only thing that bothered me about this hotel were the over privileged children whose parents couldn’t be bothered to watch them. The children RAN all over the place during breakfast, handled food at the buffet, then threw the food. No one said a word to the these children, not even the staff. I do believe that the staff should have interjected because these children did affect the experience of the other people eating in the morning. I liked the location, we were able to walk over to the monuments and enjoyed the nice spring weather. I would defiantly go back to this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 005Liz
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was fortunate enough to visit the hotel last week. Unfortunately only for one night. I arrived around 9pm. The lobby staff got me checked in swiftly - including an upgrade to a very nice suite (will attach pictures). Coolest shower i have seen in US hotel. I stayed on the third floor, with a backside room, which was very quiet. Finding the gym was tricky as you have to exit into a stairwell at the end of the 3rd floor hallway - head down a couple flights of stairs. there was a spa (which was closed at that time of night) but the gym was very nice. half dozen treadmills, elliptical, weights (both free and machine). Water bottles, towels, and headphones for plugging into the machines. Breakfast the following morning in the restaurant for two of us was around $80. Location good. Place was pricey (even for DC) but would stay again if given the chance.

Room Tip: my room on the third floor - back side was quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Mathum M,

Thank you for your recent review of our property. It sounds like you very much enjoyed your stay, including your upgrade to a suite. If only you had more time to visit with us. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again.

SGP
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Park Hyatt, supposedly the top class among other Hyatt chain hotel, I expect nothing less. But sadly, it was a disappointment. Arrive at noon, was given a room at 3rd level. It has small window with slanted blind, old and tired looking. Being a business hotel, it doesn't even have ironing board in the room. Funny thing is, upon looking at the room, (when sending my luggage up) Bellman was apologetic and help to request for another room without being asked. It that mean i was given sub standard room in the first place?? If it doesn't meet the hotel standard, it should not have this kind of room in the first place.
An hour later was moved to higher floor. This room was slightly better. Better lighting, more window, bigger size (maybe coz it was corner), have ironing board in the room and much better shower area though it still have its old and tired look.
Room amenities is really lacking. No toothbrush, no shaver and no tea making service. I was given a better amenities and room at Hyatt regency Vancouver. Request for kettle and was delivered to the room at no extra cost. But you do need to bring your own tea bag or coffee since they only lend you the kettle to boil water.
Location was ok. There is a hospital and fire department at nearby block. So sometimes you can hear the sirens from the room. About 2-3 block away from Georgetown and metro. Walkable but not ideal. But the hotel provide sedan in the morning to send you anywhere within 5 miles.
Half of the time I need to open my own door since the doorman are not around. No biggies but reflect the service standard.
The only good thing in memory is the comfortable bed.
All in all.. Don't think is worth to pay that much for this hotel. Nothing really impress me to go back to the same hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank chummyyummy
Dear chummyyummy,

Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent stay with us. While we strive to create a wonderful experience for our guests, we clearly fell short during your visit and for that I am truly sorry. Please do accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences during your visit. I will be sure to share your comments with our management team for further review. Should you wan to discuss any of the opportunities further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at renee.eisman@hyatt.com.

Canton, Ohio
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

What a difference a year makes. Last year-great stay, loved it. This year... Started off in a room that smelled of smoke. I was moved, and upgraded, which was very nice.
Room was clean but, showing it age. Carpets in room and hotel look worn, wallpaper peeling in places, paint dingy. So surprised by the aging appearance of this hotel.
I just didn't feel it this trip. I must make a note of the prompt response from Andrew Davidson, General Manager. And although I did appreciate his response...it doesn't change the overall disappointment I felt this trip. For the $350+ a night, this should have been a much better experience.

• Stayed March 2013