“A DC Standard”

Ranked #22 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“A DC Standard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed here for a short, but memorable, extended weekend trip. I hadn't visited DC since I was a kid and wanted to stay somewhere luxurious and yet outside of the Capitol Hill hubbub. This is the perfect retreat for those who don't mind the short walk (30-45 minutes; 10 minute walk to the nearest Metro station) to the more popular sights and museums.

We were automatically upgraded to a tremendous suite with an extra half-bathroom and sitting area. A generous, "American-style" breakfast is included with any AAA membership. The hotel is located just a couple blocks away from Georgetown's superb shopping district-- a charming stretch of shops and eateries, with rustic views of the nearby river and canal. We also fell in love with nearby Embassy Row, riding bikes (provided by the hotel) to explore the district's gorgeous townhouses. Dinner at the hotel's Blue Duck Tavern was especially tasty, though I'd recommend sharing side dishes and appetizers rather than limiting yourself to the less interesting main courses.

The staff was incredibly gracious, and the accomodations were magnificent. The look and feel of the hotel is sumptuous without being overbearing. (There is also a well-equipped fitness center and pool/jacuzzi area, but I'll have to check out those amenities on my next trip.) My only kvetch is that house cars are only available on weekdays. I understand that many visitors leave DC on the weekends, but can't a five-star establishment afford to keep at least one housecar on hand for weekend guests? This issue aside, I won't be straying from the Park Hyatt on any of my future trips to DC.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

We recently had 2 weeks here and it was a great place to stay. The room was comfortable especially the bed and bathroom. And it was spotless. However the breakfast service left a disappointing edge. Still not something that would prevent me from recommending this lovely hotel. The staff were very helpful and accommodating. And the Blue Duck Tavern is a great restaurant. Stay here!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
PHW-DOR, Director Of Rooms at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Dear Woozal27,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to be your home for two weeks. Its good to know that you felt comfortable as that is really our aim. I am concerned to hear about your disappointment with the breakfast service though. If you have a moment, I would very much appreciate it if you email me the details of your experience. The feedback would most certainly be used to evaluate & improve our operational procedures. You can email me directly at cornelia.samara@hyatt.com. Many thanks for taking the time to write this note.

Warmest Regards,
Cornelia Samara
Director of Rooms
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

The Park Hyatt is a wonderful, luxurious and very stylish hotel, in a good DC location. Service staff are very helfpul and friendly. The only reason why I withhold one star in my rating is the breakfast. First: The tables are rather small and not very comfortable. Secondly: I'm the kind of guy who appreciates an opulent breakfast buffet with lots of options to choose from and something different to try each day. The Hyatt offers a rather slim buffet (top-notch-quality food indeed, everything organic, good bread, etc.) and a menu to order from.
Nevertheless: I would not mind staying there again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
East Lyme, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed 2 nights and had a fabulous time. All staff were very accommodating and we were very taken care of. Very upscale yet comfortable. We used the bikes on site to tour all of the sights on the national mall and Arlington Cemetery. The concierge made dinner reservations for us, and provided Holocaust Museum tickets. The rooms were modern and large, the bathroom was the size of an average hotel room. (King deluxe room). We will be back, and will try out other Hyatt's around the world as a result.

One down side. The hot tub was luke warm, major bummer after a waking tour of the city, however we did have a large deep bathtub in the room which was put to use.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

This hotel is ideal for business people, singles and couples looking for high end accommodations near Georgetown or GWU, or who have plans downtown but don't want to stay there. The area is very young and hip, but much quieter than Capitol Hill or other areas of DC. The hotel is a 4.5 star in my opinion - the facility and amenities are excellent but they just miss 5 star level. The Blue Duck Tavern is an excellent place to eat and really no more expensive than similar places nearby even though it is several cuts above. The Park Hyatt is far superior to the Westin right across the street.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LookingToChill
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

Little to say beyond the other five star reviews: excellent service, palatial bathrooms, and well appointed rooms and public areas. All the staff is particularly warm. Breakfast at the Blue Duck Tavern is a must - their eggs are the freshest and best tasting I have ever tried.

Problems - On my last stay I booked a Park Suite and was given one on the top floor that had an odd layout and seemed less than the advertised 1060 sq. feet. It also lacked a work desk, which was particularly irritating on a work trip, and the A/C occasionally shut off for a few minutes to blow hot humid air. Next time I'll request another room if this occurs.

Overall, however, this will be my hotel of choice for most business trips to DC, except for the times I have business very close to the St. Regis.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

My husband and I have favorite hotels all over the world - and now we have one in DC. Our first class experience began before we even reached the hotel. I realized (with panic) that I had forgotten to get tickets to the Holcaust Museum, and tickets were no longer available on the internet. I called the Park Hyatt to speak with the Concierge, prepared to beg for assistance. Instead, Andrea at the front desk, who answered my call, assured me that two tickets to the Holocaust Museum would be waiting for us at the front desk upon check-in.

And they were. Along with the pleasant surprise that our room was being upgraded, and that we could bring our luggage up to the room immediately, many hours before the official check-in time.

The rooms were well furnished and immaculately clean, with a beautiful spa-like bathroom. The pillows were so comfortable that we immediately ordered several for our home.

We ate breakfast in the hotel every day, and on Sunday had brunch with our nephew at the Blue Duck Tavern in the hotel. Food was delicious on all occasions, though pricey (even by NY standards).

As noted in many reviews, service is outstanding, and the hotel is beautifully run.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple