“Large rooms and quiet”

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #71 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 20, 2007

This was my first visit to the Omni Shoreham and I would definitely return. The rooms are very large, clean, and quiet. The bathroom, while not large, was comfortable with everything in good working order. We had a large walk-in closet which could have accommodated a large family's luggage. By joining the Omni's Select membership club (free) one receives not only free wireless internet access, but also free coffee, tea, and/or juice delivered daily. An additional charge of $2.50 is added for a bagel, muffin or toast (a much cheaper alternative to many similar hotels). The hotel is located in Woodley Park with several restaurants within a two block radius. A Metro stop is one block away. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our only negative while staying there was that the restaurant staff were inattentive and the food so-so. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank TravelingTaylor

Reviewed July 16, 2007

I stay at this Omni at least twice a year, for different events. Stayed here with children and without. I would not recommend paying over $125.00 for the room, call me cheap but they offer too many great deals to pay much more than that. Love this hotel for our annual trip to the ZOO. The Zoo is in walking distance for a four year old child. The Zoo it self is a beast for a small child to walk so bring a wagon. CVS near by for any small personal/medical needs, came in handy when the little got sick. McDonald's also right there, quick and easy food for the little's. Can not miss out on the $5.00 martinis and veggie pasta at the resturant around the corner. Great adult nightlife across the bridge.

The room is a nice size. Someone complained about the small sink with no countertop (there are other ways to work that out). staff has always been very accomdating to me. I like a room with a balcony when I don't have the kids and they are always able to fullfill my request. Also someone mentioned WiFi not being free, i personally have never had to pay for internet service while staying at the hotel. The pool is shallow, great if you are traveling with children, adults may wish they could go deeper. I have a great time with the children in the outdoor pool. I do wish they had an indoor pool and hot tub for the winter months.

My only real complaint would be the elevators, after three years of stay I still can't figure it out. You have multitple elevators that take you to different places and the two main hotel elevators are very small.

Sign up with omni before you stay, this way you will be assured to have a waiting room of your liking.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Shica
Reviewed July 3, 2007

We stayed for 109.xx for the evening and thought the hotel was spectacular. The charm is in the age of the hotel and it's grandeur -from the chandeliers to the carpets, from the small wood paneled elevators to the glass handled door knobs in the room that speak of another time. We ate on the terrace overlooking incredible gardens. The meal was fabulous. We opted for the Special Menu (Changes countries every 2 months). We so impressed with the pricing and presentation. Fried Green tomatoe appetizer /w cheese - delicous was 5.50. The menu was Mexican and had the grilled flat iron steak with gulf shrimp, rice and beans, and payaya and melon relish. $18.00. Parking is pricey at 23.00 for self park 28.00 for valet. Staff was friendly (thought not Southern charm friendly). We will go back.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kathyfm1
Reviewed July 2, 2007

I stayed at the Omni June 28 and 29 with my two boys, ages 11 and 13. I had earned a travel voucher through my sales job and selected the Omni from a very limited number of DC hotels listed in their brochure. I chose it because it looked nice and it was close to a Metro stop. The cost was free to me. I looked into staying an additional night, but: 1) They had no rooms available for the third night, and 2) If they had, the going rate was between $300 and $400. OUCH!

Upon arriving, we were very impressed by the gorgeous lobby. Beautiful marble floors, crystal chandeliers and floral arrangements. Doormen were welcoming and friendly. Check in was very smooth. Our room was ready, even though we were a little early (2pm). The room was pretty standard. Not as opulant as the lobby, but very nice. The biggest plus-factor was the size...a good 4-5 feet longer than a basic room you might be used to. There was a walk-in closet at one end and a makeup/dressing room outside the bathroom. The two Queen size beds were very comfy.

The bathroom was done in marble with a pedistal sink. Glass shelves over the sink and toilet made up for not having vanity space. There was a window in the shower, covered by faux wood blinds. Very clean...no mold or icky grout.

The room also featured a balcony (4th floor) accessed by a door (not a sliding glass door, just a single French door). Judging from the exterior, there are not a lot of balcony rooms.

The carpet was in pretty good shape, bedspreads a little worse for wear and the upholstered chair was faded and a little stained. They appear to be renovating little by little...our balcony overlooked several large dumpsters holding rolled up carpet and chairs that looked like our stained one!

The location could not be beat.... we had easy access to the Metro (Adams-Morgan/Zoo stop) and it was a short walk to the Zoo. There are lots of restaurants around, including a 24-hour McDonald's and a WONDERFUL cafe/diner called Open City. We ate breakfast there both mornings.

We did not eat in the hotel, due to the price, but the restaurant looked pretty. We wanted to order pizza delivered to the room one night, and the concierge happily provided the names of local places that would deliver.

We also used the pool and hot tub, which were well-maintainted and attractively landscaped.

The staff was very pleasant and friendly. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again, but it is not worth the standard rates. I would highly recommend this hotel if you can get it for around $150 per night.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank C1313
Reviewed July 1, 2007

Booked this hotel through Priceline (bid $85) for a last minute stay in DC overnight after a play. We literally just stayed there to sleep, and can't comment on many facilities in the hotel. That said, our stay was really excellent--room was extremely comfortable, spacious, and clean. The bed was very comfortable with crisp cotton sheets. Bath had good water pressure and several large, plush towels. And--this the surprise to me--the room was very quiet! There was a huge convention at the hotel while we were there, but we didn't hear a thing in our room, which was only on the second floor. Didn't have any problem with check-in lines as other reviewers have had, but I guess we just lucked out. Valet parking efficient and polite, and worth the price. The neighborhood is very nice also-short block or two away from the metro, near the zoo, etc. Great stay, and we would definitely stay there again at that price.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AuntNorma
Reviewed June 18, 2007

I booked this hotel for our summer vacation in for $120/night, (through Priceline) and then became concerned when i saw such positive and negative reviews on this site. Now that I have stayed there, I think I understand why this property is rated so differently. First and foremost, this is a great hotel, in the best/safest neighborhood in DC (Northwest -- Woodley Park). We felt very safe walking the streets at night. This property is less than 2 blocks from a Metro Rail Station, which is a must in DC, and has several good cheap restaurants within the same 2 blocks (including a McDonalds - think breakfast, and Chipolte - get full for $5.00). You are less than 3 train stops to any of the monuments, museums, or attractions you want to visit. We attended a Sunday service at the National Cathedral (a 30 minute uphill walk from hotel), which I highly recommend, regardless of which faith you are or aren't (we dressed up, but there were several people in jeans/shorts). The hotel is showing it's age, and I would rate the rooms at closer to 3 star, not 4 or 5 star (Think Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn). Which is why I think it gets some negative reviews: If you are paying over $200-300/night for this hotel, or if you see your hotel as a major part of your vacation (like when you go to the beach) , you will be very dissapointed.
If you are paying less than $ 150/night, and can see your hotel as "just the place you sleep and shower" (the attitude you should have for DC), you will love this property. The rooms are large and clean, they are just showing their age (Hotel is celebrating its 76th anniversary this year).

I recommend signing up as an OMNI Select Member (free) before your stay, as this will get you complimentary newspapers and beverages in the morning, and possibly allow for a late check-out time. If this is your first stay in DC, I would not pick any other property, as LOCATION, PRICE, and SAFETY should be your primary concerns when choosing a DC hotel. If you can get this hotel for less than $150/night, your decision is a no-brainer. Only negatives: Pool is only 3 foot deep and is outdoor. This hotel seems to attract an older and/or business clientele; if you have small kids, you might want to choose a different location. If you don't want to be around screaming kids, this hotel is a great choice.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank miketeresa
Reviewed June 10, 2007

Very nice looking htoel, Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a tour of DC and the surrounding areas.
Nicely laid out spacious room with a nice view, all was going well until we tried Roberts restuarant attached to the hotel.It was a slow affair and not an impressive menu.I would recommend trying the cafe on the corner aacross the road from the hotel. Otherwise I thought it was a lovely place! If its good enough for the Beatles.....!

• Stayed: June 2007