“A Very Good Traditional Hotel (+ a tip for even better value)”

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #70 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I just returned from my third stay at the Shoreham. This time I was fortunate to be upgraded to a suite. Rooms in this classic hotel are large for a big city business/convention hotels, and my suite was positively spacious. The suites at the Shoreham are true, traditional suites, with separate living and bed rooms, with a door between them. The large living room included a (convertible) couch, coffee table, and two upholstered arm-chairs; a unit holding that room's large flat-screen TV, a coffee maker, and a small refrigerator, glass-fronted and lit (no freezer compartment, but ice available down the hall,); a dining/conference table with four comfortable chairs; and a good-sized work desk. The closet held a small safe, large enough for a laptop, a camera, and some other valuables, with user-settable combination. The bedroom was not as very large, although it comfortably held a bureau with a large flat-screen atop it, a king bed with two night tables, and comfortable space to spare.

Both living and bed rooms had their own independent thermostats which could be set to heat, a/c , fan or off positions, and the fans could be set to constant running, auto on/off, or off. (Note: Had the previous reviewer who complained about the fan cycling on and off checked, he or she could have learned it was possible to have the fan run constantly or not at all. In pleasant weather this would be reasonable as the windows in both rooms open; a real luxury these days, IMO.)

The bathroom was quite large and traditional; no glass walls for exhibitionists, just plenty of room, good storage space, good amenities and plumbing fixtures that work.

Both bed and living rooms had large windows and were quite bright, and also were supplied with plenty of lights, so they were bright and attractive both during the day and after dark.

(If I had to nit-pick, I'd note that the bathroom is off the bedroom, so guests must pass through the bedroom to use the toilet, and that the closet is near the door, in the living room; I'd also note that the Shoreham has only WiFi, no wired broadband access. Also, the clock radio did not get good reception, though it was easy to use as an alarm.)

The tip, your reward for plowing through this long review, is: Join (free) Omni's "Select Guest" program; at the Shoreham, Select Guests get free internet access, (charged for at $10-15/day at most D.C. business/convention hotels,) as well as two free morning room-service (hot or cold) beverages per person. (To these may be added, for $2-$3 dollars,) a toasted bagel, English muffin, croissant, or bran or blueberry muffin; choosing juice and coffee and adding a toasted English muffin, I was able to have a room service "breakfast", helpful when rushing to get out to an early-morning meeting, that totalled $3.25!

3  Thank Rags2006
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2010

As the management of The Omni Shoreham, we love reading your very thorough review of your stay. Any insight we can get into the experiences of our guests allows us to know what we are doing right and where we can improve. We are delighted that after your three stay you have little negative feedback and we hope that you will continue to stay with us and have great experiences. Many thanks for sharing your advice with other travelers and we look forward to welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for Omni Shoreham Hotel

Reviewed April 30, 2010

We arrived at the hotel at 8:00 am hoping to leave our bags at the concierge and return later to check in but we were immediately directed to the registration desk and assigned a room. The representative was extremely helpful and said our early arrival was no problem. The room was huge!! It had enough space to really stretch and excercise, a walk in closet, and a vanity room next to the bathroom.
It is close to the Metro, the Bus, the Circulator and two of the tourist bus we took also dropped us off at corner of the hotel. Take time to enjoy their garden and the park.
Also, if you enroll in the omni loyalty program you get free in room wi fi.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank MargGlz

We are happy to hear that your early check in started your stay at The Omni Shoreham Hotel off on the right foot. Thank you for taking the time to share you experience on TripAdvisor and we hope to have you back again soon!

Reviewed April 30, 2010

The Omni Shoreham is very conveniently located. Woodley Park Metro station is just up the street - you can literally walk it in around a minute. The Zoo is a few blocks past the Metro Station. We stayed five nights and never moved our car. This hotel is very nice and I recd a great rate through TravelZoo - but still had to pay $28/day to park the car. The beds are extremely confortable. Be sure to sign up for Select Guest services. We recd free coffee and newspapers every morning. They also have free wi-fi.
If I had to say something negative, it would be that the bathroom was a little small but it was still very nice.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank DJ561

Thank you taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and hope to have you back again soon!

Reviewed April 30, 2010

Stayed in rm. 146 on 4/25/10 to 4/28/10.
Bad points: After 1st night, nobody cleaned my room!?!? Privacy sign was not on door after 10:00am.
2nd evening, the Washington Capitols are in playoffs & Washington Nationals are out-of-town. I looked forward to watching either/both games. However, neither broadcast for these local teams was available in room??? But guess what? BOTH were available in the lobby lounge (w/their $7 drinks)!
A 4-star hotel that has to charge for wi-fi?!?! Even Days Inns do not do that anymore!
Last comment: The kitchen always uses A LOT of garlic right around 11:00am each day - and the smell got pulled right into my room above the kitchen! (But at least I like garlic.)

Good points: Onlt 2 blocks from Woodley Place/Nat. Zoo Metro stop.
Many lower price ethnic restaurants within 3 blocks.
Many rooms rooms available through Priceline's Name Your Price program.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business

We appreciate hearing your comments from your stay at The Omni Shoreham Hotel. Please accept our apology that your room was not cleaned on the 2nd day of the stay. Since you provided us with your room number and dates of stay it will give us the opportunity to research what may have happened. It is disheartening for us to hear that you did not find the hotel to be a good value. We provide free wireless internet to all members of our complimentary Select Guest program and it is easy to sign up right from your room using our wireless internet landing page. As for the games, we understand your frustration that they were not available in the room. Because the channel that broadcasted the games is not part of our room lineup we felt the next best option was to be able to offer it in our lounge. We would have been happy to have had you watch the games without purchasing a drink and are sorry if you felt any pressure to do so. It is always great from us to hear feedback from our customers and we thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed April 30, 2010

I can't begin to describe my disappointment with this hotel. Let me start by saying this is a very expensive hotel and given the amount you are paying for accommodations, you would expect excellent service and accommodations. Not so. I checked into my room to find 1) A long black hair on the bathroom door which was never addressed despite my request 2) Nasty stained sheets 3) An A/C unit that went on and off all night long 4) Carpeting coming up on all sides 5) A large water stain on the ceiling that was about to give way, etc. You get the picture. Our group paid the "discounted" price of $219/nt. For this price, you get everything I've already mentioned plus two bottles of water. Lucky for me, we were staying 5 days.
The price of food at this hotel is RIDICULOUS! My BREAKFAST this morning consisted of french toast, scrambled eggs and a small pot of coffee - $40.68 (and the food was marginal at best). I paid half this amount eating DINNER at restaurants outside the hotel. Parking is just under $30/nt, Internet usage is $9.95 for 15 min. They nickel and dime as much as they can.
The concierge was useless. Any time we asked for assistance, he told us to see the front desk. The parking attendants were even worse and valet is the only option. Our group had a 12:30 meeting and check out was at noon, so I had the attendant retrieve the car so I could put my belongings in it - which included a very expensive camera and laptop - so I could attend the meeting. When the attendant went to repark the car, about 30 yards away, he put all the windows down as he drove off (and left them that way as he walked back). I immediately retrieved the key and insisted on walking to my own vehicle to find he had also left the car completely unlocked.
I would not stay at this hotel again. The money that you pay apparently is not used for any kind of building maintenance and the help is extremely poor.

2  Thank Bring_Sunscreen

It is very disappointing for us to read your review of your time at The Omni Shoreham. We offer our sincerest apologies and would welcome the opportunity to talk to you and learn more about your stay. Our goal is to provide each guest with a clean and comfortable stay complemented by great service and we regret that in your case we fell short. Please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss your stay further.

Reviewed April 27, 2010

We stayed at the Omni several years ago and did not have a great experience. So, I cautiously booked the hotel again as we travel to D.C frequently. Wow, what a change. The rooms now match the lobby, beautiful and comfortable. The lobby is gorgeous and the location is terrific. Lots of great restaurants nearby, close to the metro. Staff is helpful and polite. I would go back again soon. Great job Omni.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2010

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the improvements that have been made to The Omni Shoreham Hotel over the last few years. We are glad you decided to stay with us again and hope you will return in the near future!

Reviewed April 25, 2010

The Omni Shoreham has its place in history and is located in a beautiful park setting with super close proximity to the red line metro.
It is easy walking distance to Georgetown and Adams Morgan areas.

We ended up reserving two double beds through Expedia since the hotel had no availability through its own booking agency. I think we must have been given the "cheap discount" room in the hotel - first floor over some loud ventilator that would make a bunch of noise and vibrate every time it turned on. It was a coin toss away from the elevator too and the walls were pretty thin indeed.

Also, it took us about three days and several requests before we could even brew coffee in the room with the provided coffee and maker. It took three coffee makers before we had one that was functioning properly. They did, however, bring us a small refrigerator upon request.

The rooms are spacious and everything seemed pretty clean. The beds are very comfortable but the sheets provided were too small and only covered the top third of the bed!?! I had to ask for a king sheet so I could sleep with the sheet covering all the way. I really don't know what was up with that. I've heard of that before in some nice hotels.

I liked the MP3 player line that is attached to the bedside clock radio so you can plug in your player and listen to your music in the room. They have a nice flat screen HDTV in the rooms. Provided bath products are good, yet the towels are a little scratchy.

The garden is gorgeous and manicured. The pool area is nice and the pool itself is quite big (long enough for laps even). The gym is really nice and you can get a comprehensive workout. They have nice machines, free weights and cardio equipment.

I wouldn't recommend any of the immediate restaurants located near the metro stop since they all seem like tourist traps and got mediocre reviews on Yelp. We did walk a little further over the Calvert Street bridge toward the east to a nice little restaurant called Mama Ayesha's. They serve middle eastern food and everything was good.

I'm glad I stayed here, just to be able to talk it up as being where the presidential inaugural balls have been held and where the Beatles stayed as well. It really is a beautiful hotel and the surroundings are so green and inviting. The running trail in Rock Creek Park is fantastic too. Great place to stay in DC for sure.

Make sure you sign up for their rewards program (for free) so you can get gratis wi-fi internet service in the rooms. Otherwise it's ten bucks a day. I think you get a welcome two bottles of water too. Woo hoo!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business

It is a pleasure to hear that overall your stay at The Omni Shoreham Hotel went well. We apologize for the issues with the sheets and the coffee maker. This is certainly not the norm and we regret that these were the only downsides to your stay. We do appreciate you taking the time to write a review and we hope you will stay with us again soon.