“Great stay at a beautiful, historic hotel”

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #68 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Arizona
“Great stay at a beautiful, historic hotel”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

The Omni Shoreham was not only beautiful but also offers many wonderful perks that you won't find at other hotels in D.C. Each morning, we received beverages (coffee and hot chocolate and juice) and newspapers outside our door at the requested time, all free of charge. What a lovely way to wake up. The room was very large, especially considering that this was a historic hotel. The king bed was dangerously comfortable and the bathroom was modern and had everything we could possibly need. The grounds were lovely, only wish we had had more time to spend lounging on them. The location was great as well, with many trendy and ethnic restaurants in the surrounding neighborhood. (Also right on Rock Creek Park, a nice place to take a walk.) An easy walk to the nearest Metro station. I'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of visiting D.C. The Omni Shoreham, with its historic significance (inaugural balls have been held here since FDR's time), continues to deserve its reputation as a fine, world class hotel.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank DesertNomads
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2009
We are happy to hear that we lived up to our reputation and that you had such a lovely stay with us. All of your compliments are received with gratitude and we hope to welcome you back many times in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Recently spent six nights here with my spouse on business for an on-site meeting.

Be sure to sign up for the Omni Select membership before your arrival. It provides complimentary water upon arrival in the mini-fridge, complimentary wifi during your stay, complimentary newspapers in the morning and up to two choices of morning beverages delivered to your door (juices, coffee, tea, water, etc).

We were greeted warmly upon arrival and though it was noon were able to get into our room. Room is spacious and well-decorated. It doesn't feel over the top, but is simply elegant. Could use a sofa in the room because with two people and two beds (a king wasn't available) one person has to sit on the bed.

The beds are very comfortable. Nightly turn-down service. Beverages delivered to our door during the requested time in the morning. Didn't always knock as requested. Tea service was inconsistent as one morning had Lipton bags and the next Black Currant, one day had 2 pkgs of honey, the next 4, the next 3. I requested Black Currant tea after Day 2 as it is wonderful with honey in the morning.

Bathroom door wouldn't stay open on its own so we propped it open with the tray the ice bucket came on. Bathroom is small (old property) but very modern. With the large vanity it's impossible for someone to be brushing their teeth if someone wants to get past them or out of the shower. I can't imagine staying in a 2-bed room with more than two people.

Meeting room was very nice and elegant. Acoustics were good, a/v needs met. Banquet food was good. Lunch better than breakfast (soupy eggs) but the oatmeal was good.

Private "hospitality suite" in the Robert;s Private Dining Room (just off Robert's Restaurant in the lobby) that was very nice. Room opens onto private patio. Had excellent hors d'oeuvres and large tv for watching baseball.

Location one block from Woodley Park/Adams Morgan/Zoo Metro stop makes this a great location. Many restaurants in the area with all ethnicities to choose from.

I look forward to returning to this location for future meetings!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
maine
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My wife and 10 year old daughter have just returned from a fabulous eight night stay at the Shoreham Hotel. The hospitality and service was 5 star from the second we entered the gorgeous hotel lobby to the time the doorman flagged our departure taxi for Regan National. Our reservation consisted of a deluxe room with 2 queen beds.

Prior to our arrival I called the hotel and asked if they could place us in one of their largest deluxe rooms due to our extended stay. When we checked in we were pleasantly surprised that the Shoreham had provided us with a classic suit at no additional charge.

Our classic suit was perfect. Comfortable, private sitting area, large firm beds, refrig, very spacious. Shortly after entering our room I tried the wi-fi connections (free if you take advantage of their free select guest program) by going to their website. On their website I noticed a bed and breakfast plan. I returned to the front desk and inquired if we could take advantage of this plan? For $10 additional dollars/ night my family of three was provided a wonderful breakfast buffet in the beautiful Shoreham dining room. Based upon the menu price and gratuity, the buffet would have cost our family over $70 / day.

Every aspect of our stay was outstanding. Anytime my family passed a Shoreham employee they not only greeted us warmly, they sincerely inquired if our stay was fine and asked if there was anything they could do for us. We received Five Star service!!!!! A wonderful Eight Night Stay at the Shoreham.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank shayden742
Birmingham
Reviewed October 11, 2009

I stayed here over the Labor Day weekend (early September) for a bargain rate of around $100 per night. The hotel is located a little way out of the city centre in the peaceful surrounds of wooded Rock Creek, however the Metro station is only a 2 minute walk around the corner and provides a safe and cheap way of travelling to the major sights. The DC Circulator bus also stops near the hotel, and tour buses stop across the road outside the Open City cafe.

The check-in staff were very friendly and gave me maps of the locality when I checked in. The room was large with a comfortable bed, and the maids did a superb job of cleaning the room. An in-room safe was provided which was large enough to stow all valuables.

Room service menu is provided, and by hotel standards is not all that expensive. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants across the road if you do not want to eat at the hotel. There are shops in the hotel lobby selling things like confectionary, newspapers, coffee etc

I used the hotel gym and it was reasonably well equipped with plenty of free weights, resistance machines and cardio equipment, although the hotel charges for this.

Overall I enjoyed my stay here and would stay here again (cheap rates permitting!). Recommended for the discerning traveller looking for a decent quality hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Matt7332
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed October 11, 2009

I stayed here for a conference at the hotel (which was very convenient). The metro station is right around the corner so it was very easy to get there from Union station (Amtrak). I would highly recommend signing up for the select guest program as you get free wi-fi (otherwise $10/day) and 2 beverages and a paper every morning.

Pros: convenient, select guest program, customer service (Sat morning our beverages/paper did not arrive. I told the front desk. Sun morning room service called us to see if we had forgotten to put out the hangtag - which we had forgotten - and brought us beverages and the sunday times).

Cons: on the 8th floor there was a strange noise with the wind at times; health club access is an additional fee.

We had brunch Sunday AM at Roberts. It was overpriced so I was happy this was the only morning we did. I liked their omlet station and my boyfriend thought the waffles were the best ever.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank KW_Philadelphia
We are happy to hear that you and your boyfriend had a nice stay at the Omni Shoreham. We appreciate all of your feedback and were especially happy to hear how room service went the extra mile on your second day. Thank you for your review and if you find yourself back in the DC area we hope to have you stay with us again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Hubby and I went with my parents and got two adjoining rooms (adjoined by a long private hallway, which was great for privacy!). Rooms were huge, overlooked the pool, and had fridges. Bathrooms were small, but it's a historic hotel, so . . . We got a great deal thru their own website with AAA--each room cost around $150. We also joined their preferred guest club and got 2 free drinks per room per night, which was pretty cool!! My husband went to a conference at the hotel during the day while my parents and I toured D.C. His only complaint about the conference was the food they were provided for lunch--it looked really bad--a pile of sandwhich meat on a cheap bun, with mayo packets and wilted lettuce on the side. He's been to other conferences at hotels with hot lunches or at least nice sandwhiches, so that was really disappointing. And a small bottle of sprite and a pre-packaged cookie came with the sandwhich too.
My parents and I tried every method of transport from the hotel to attractions, and all are really convenient from the hotel! The Circulator bus is right across the street, so is the metro, and a taxi to the white house area was $7.
Parking at the hotel was $28 a day--such a rip off!! That was by far our biggest complaint. And when the conference ended, the line of people waiting for their cars stretched so long that the concierge told me "With that length, you'll be waiitng for at least an hour." Luckily I thought to go back to the room and "Call ahead" for the car the way you're supposed to, and we got ours within 15 minutes after I called. You'd think they'd plan ahead and have more valet staff on hand when a conference lets out--a lot of those people had planes to catch!!
We enjoyed the grounds--quite lovely. Met friends for drinks on the terrace, and my parents and I took naps in hammocks one afternoon! Highly recommend Open City for breakfast--we ate there every morning--Afghan Grill and Lebanese Taverna for dinner--all EASY walking distance from the hotel. And Jyothi restaurant had awesome Indian food, great atmosphere, cool presentation (each dish served in copper pots over warmers, and there's a combo platter with 5 different curries, rice, and bread--big enough for 2 people but only $14!) Service was really good too (hard to find in an Indian restaurant--hubby is Indian and was really impressed with this place). And the price was really reasonable for dinner--overall a GREAT restaurant. I might even write a restaurant review for it, if I can find it on here.
Anyway, it was a great location and we'd definitely stay here again!! Now, if they'd reduce their daily parking rate . . .

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank nancyandashesh
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2009
Thank you for taking the time writing to us about your recent stay at the Omni Shoreham Hotel. We enjoy reading our guests feedback and appreciate your efforts in making us a better place to stay. It is great to hear all of your compliments of our property but we are terribly sorry you felt that the parking rate was high. We do monitor these rates to make sure they remain competitive with other DC hotels and we hope this matter does not prevent you from staying with us again. Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed 2 nights at this magnificant hotel. Service was great. The room was lovely and the bed very comfortable. The property inside and out is just magnificant. Beautiful chandeliers, roses and furniture. The breakfast was great and a big choice. The bar at the front of the hotel is a great place for a few drinks. It has great atmosphere and the barman very very friendly.
We had a wonderful time and will definately stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Omni Shoreham Hotel. We are always happy to hear from our guests that have wonderful stays with us. All of your comments regarding the service and atmosphere are well received and we will look forward to your next stay with us!