“Fantastic hotel with lots of opportunities”

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 3, 2009

We truly loved this hotel - it was a pleasure to stay at! We were in DC for a wedding and extended our trip to do some sightseeing. The hotel is in a great location - it is a little northwest of downtown but this is good because it is a little quieter. There are some great spots to eat and drink nearby - so even if you are not downtown there are places to go. Either way it is a $10-$15 cab ride downtown and you are a two minute walk to the Metro so the hotel is really accessible. The service was great - the concierge was very helpful with advice for sites and places to eat.

If you are going to stay here I recommend joining the Select Guest program - you get free WiFi in your room, free paper in the morning, two free morning beverages, two items pressed during your stay (nice for the wedding suit!) and overall great treatment. Also, since it is free there is no reason not to join. I felt like it was definitely worth it especially since I can possibly get a free room one night during my next stay.

So I would say my only complaint was the elevators - they were really small and really slow. This was OK for us because it forced us to take the stairs all the time (which is healthier) but if you were on the eighth floor you might not be as willing.

Overall we had a terrific stay and we definitely plan to stay here during our next trip to DC!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DeMoDonk
Write a ReviewReviews (7,284)

Reviewed July 1, 2009

This is NOT a hotel for any kind of long term stay. Over 12 days, we found they are extremely unpredictable. Of 12, we managed to get trash bags & ice bucket bags only 5x's. All housekeeping possess English as a second language. A couple of the concierge were condescending and patronizing. No refrigerator in room - a chiller is provided which will not keep leftovers safe; refrigerators are available at a nominal charge. No microwave and the coffee pot is a joke. Several times I had to call housekeeping to remind them of my original request. Long lines to check in and out; card key often needs redone. And...finally, they NEVER admit to making any sort of mistake when they do. Watch out for room service - you must be specific in your order; I asked for a side order of fruit and was sent a full priced fruit plate. Make sure you sign up for the Omni Guest Select program before your stay; that will get you free high speed Internet & beverages in the AM. Swimming pool is 3' to 3'-6" only. Daily housekeeping is erratic. Hotel is in a safe area of the city and there is a CVS, and McDonalds close; Pizza Hut does deliver to this location. Good location to get to and from the Metro.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2009

We are so sorry that we didn't make you feel like your extended stay was important to us because it truly is. We will review your details with each of the departments that did not hit the mark in service or follow up. We appreciate your feedback in helping the Omni Shoreham improve and hope that you will try us again in the future.

Reviewed June 29, 2009

My wife and I just completed a five-night visit to Washington. Our stay in a large, well-appointed room at the Omni Shoreham was completely satisfactory. The room was on the 7th floor with a beautiful park view, the Metro was close-by, the concierge was always helpful (particularly in recommending the Oceanaire Seafood restaurant which was delightful) and the Segway tour of downtown was an enjoyable surprise. The rate found on 1-800-hotels was very competitive for a four-star hotel, and I would choose the Omni again without any question.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Southerngentleman50
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2009

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your Washington, DC vacation and your stay at the Omni Shoreham. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we hope you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed June 28, 2009

This hotel was wonderful! It was a joy staying there very clean. We were impressed. It was close to the subway and the hop on & off tour buses. The food there was good but expensive. I used the spa very nice the massage was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MichiganSizzle

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Omni Shoreham. We are happy to know that you enjoyed everythng from the food to the spa! We hope you will stay with us again soon!

Reviewed June 28, 2009

My wife and I booked here for 7 nights. Since I am severely handicapped, I requested a handicapped room. When we checked in, we were shown to a spacious room and assured it was a handicapped room. The hotel apparently considers a large room with a roll-in shower as a handicapped room. The room had a STANDARD HEIGHT toilet with NO GRAB BARS anywhere in the room except in the shower 5 feet away. Each time I used the facilities, I had to call the front desk to send someone from security to help me get back into my wheelchair. We asked to be changed to a real handicapped room and was told they would see what they could do. But NOTHING was done. We checked out after 2 days and went home. Hotel would NOT refund a pro-rata portion of our prepaid fees.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2009

This hotel is excellent!!!! Very clean, and the staff are simply great. Upon our arrival at hotel, the bell boys helped us in with our bags and when we checked in (which was very fast and hasslefree) they were able to help us up to our room with our bags.

We were staying on the 5th floor and the view from our window was magnificent. We were overlooking the beautiful gardens of the hotel, and in the distance we could see the Washington Monument which was beautiful. Our room was something else... it was quite simply extraordinary. I think it was one of the biggest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in and it was so spacious and immaculately clean. The maids were in each day to clean the room and change sheets/towels etc and it was a very pleasant stay.

The hotel is located close to a subway station which was so handy for us, and it was also one of the Wahington DC, Hop On Hop Off bus stops, so was even better, 'cos all we had to do was walk outside the hotel and wait for the bus. The hotel is very stylish and has plenty of facilities - gym, sauna, spa, coffee shop, gift shop, jewellers and others. Unfortunately we didn't get time to use the gym but it looked magnificent and wasn't too expensive.

Overall this hotel met all our needs and we would certainly recommend it to others and if we ever return to Washington DC in the future, we will certainly return to the Omni.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank albert82bob87
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2009

Thank you so much for your glowing review of the Omni Shoreham. We aren't sure we could have written a better description of the hotel ourselves! It is a delight for us to hear of your wonderful stay and we will look forward to having you return.

Reviewed June 16, 2009

What I like in american hotels is their spaciousness, something that we lack in Europe. I don't know if this is true for all hotels, but at least in those I have stayed so far their room sizes are those of a European suite. Omni is no exception, I had a very large room with the garderobe en suite and a small bath but well fitted and nice view to the pool and the city. The bed was good for a relaxing sleep because I attended an all day conference in the hotel. I can't say about the food because my room was reserved without breakfast but there are plenty of little eateries nearby full of hotel guests, they serve fast food type food not specifically to the taste of Europeans (pre-fried potatoes, hamburgers). I went once to the Open City Cafe but the service was bad, had to wait and to order twice, I was brought burnt fries and a tasteless hamburger. The waitress accepted to take back the fries but she came back with another dish of also burnt fries!!

The hotel staff was friendly despite the frenzy of 850 conference guests, and particularly the staff of the reception would make the extra mile to assist guests. I should also mention that on the first night I was given a room on the first floor just above the kitchen exhaust. Never accept a room in this hotel floor/area, the room smelled burnt oil, the noise is unbearable and the view awful (exhausts and brick terrace, but next morning I asked another room and I was offered the one on the seventh.

The hotel is huge and indeed the elevators were crowded, we had often to queue for them, particularly on the days when two large conferences were taking place in the hotel. Regarding cleanliness, I am sorry to mention that behind the armchair near the bed I found the first day a plastic cup, a dime and a piece of paper. These were there also three days later when I checked out. This means that the cleaner just superficially cleans what can be easily seen and not thoroughly.

As for the distance to downtown yes it is a problem, despite the fact that the metro is nearby because the metro line is not very frequent, there is also a bus but it takes longer to downtown. As the hotel is also expensive I would not choose it, if I can.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business