“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #68 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Miami, Florida
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed June 16, 2009

Excellent hotel for DC. I checked out various other hotels in the DC area and most were either too expensive or low priced but in bad neighborhoods and the reviews were horrible here. Great Value for the price.. i paid $130 a night and it was well worth it. Excellent service and the rooms were big and nicely decorated. The bathrooms arent that big, but then again youre not sleeping in the bathroom so why does the size matter?!?! .. No bugs at all when i stayed and never had a problem checking in. The hotel IS luxury, so i found the price to be excellent for it being a luxury hotel. Would definitely recommend it to anyone... I will be back and will stay here whenever im in DC

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank HiaRob20
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2009
Thank you for your generous recommendation of the Omni Shoreham. We are honored that we are now your preferred hotel in DC. If you haven't already, make sure you sign up for our Select Guest program so we can reward your loyalty!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
north carolina
Reviewed June 15, 2009

I wouldn't recommend the location of this hotel unless you were in the area to visit the National Zoo only. While it's easy enough to travel and not horribly far from the Metro it would be quite a walk. The lobby was beautiful, and while the room was plain, it was tastefully decorated and had quality furniture. I liked that the en suite was off the main door and the bedroom had another door.

I especially enjoyed the pool and the pool bar. Our waitress was excellent and the water was wonderful. Complimentary beverage service (with their member org) was also fantastic. Our visit to the restaurant on property was just OK.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank stephanielwd
New England
Reviewed June 14, 2009

Stayed from a wednesday to saturday. Room was clean, air conditioning worked well, and beds were comfortable. I have a 3 and 4 year old who loved the swimming pool. As hotels go, the pool menu was reasonably priced, and the wait staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
There was a diner within a 5 minute walk as well.
The neighborhood is great and the national zoo is a 15 min. walk.
On the negative side there were 2-3 creepy bugs in the room. When we checked out, we requested a bell hop, which unfortunately never came.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
We are happy to hear that your family enjoyed your stay with us. We are fortunate to be one of the few hotels in DC with an outdoor pool so we are delighted that your family was able to make use of it. We love all of your positive feedback but can't ignore that your stay wasn't perfect so we can assure you that your comments have been shared with our management team. We hope that those will not keep you from returning because we would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back.
Colorado
Reviewed June 12, 2009

I have stayed at the Onmi Shoreham for years but never again. When I arrived on Tuesday night after a flight delay of four hours, I discovered that I didn't have a room even though I had a confirmed reservation which I made more than 2 months ago. The hotel wanted to "transport" me to another hotel in BETHESDA Maryland (at least 1/2 hour away). I was going to be allowed to come back the next night for the duration of my stay. The reason.....I was told that people from a conference stayed over and....oh, well. I was fortunate that my daughter lives in DC and I was able to stay with her...don't know what happened to the other people in line with me.

This has never happened to me before although i gather it is not uncommon. While I have always stayed at the Omni when in DC, I will never go back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2009

We had a great stay at the Omni. Everyone was friendly and very helpful. We checked right in and went to our room. I asked for an end room and received a room near the end of the hallway. We never waited for the elevators (as some have complained about) and the room was quiet. The doors are very heavy and people do slam them but that was the only noise we had to deal with. Our beds were a little hard but the rooms were clean and we requested extra wash cloths and coffee everyday and they brought them right up. We had our son with us and they left an extra drink in the morning when they brought up our paper and beverages. The hotel is close to the metro and we ate at The Open City Cafe a couple of times and everything was delicious. I would stay here again. It was very nice.

1 Thank ladynole35
Thank you for your review of the Omni Shoreham. It is always a pleasure for us to hear how friendly and helpful our staff can be and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you will return again soon.
Plymouth, MA
Reviewed June 10, 2009

As a Select Guest member with Omni, I was excited to try a new hotel while attending the SACC event in Washington, D.C. When we arrived, there were people everywhere in the lobby. I got in line with some of my colleagues to check-in and was told there was some sort of power failure and that they were working on bringing their system up and it would be a bit of a wait. While I was discussing this with the check-in representative, another very frustrated guest started yelling at the Manager and then at me as she thought they gave me a key. I wasn't going to get upset over the issue, as that doesn't get you anywhere, so I accepted it, provided my cell phone number for them to call me when the room was ready, and tried to find a spot to get some work done. 5 hours later, the group leader of our business team went to the front desk to explain that he had 30+ people waiting over 5 hours for a room - at that point, we were finally given room keys. My question is - were we ever going to receive the call they promised for our rooms? This situation was completely mishandled. There was not enough room for all of these people to hang out and wait - they should have opened the bar / restaurant early, they should have opened conference rooms where people could sit comfortably so we didn't have to camp out on the floor in some cases. At around 6:00pm, we came down to meet for dinner and saw they were handing out champagne and passed appetizers. Although very lovely - this would have made a LOT more sense to do while there were very angry, uncomfortable, and inconvenienced guests strewn throughout the lobby!

In the end, the room was very big with a lot of comfort to offer. The SACC was a well organized and attended event - except the main room of the event was extremely warm. The hotel should have set the room to a very low temperature with the expectation of 600+ attendees and exhibitors. Also, many of the exterior rooms we rented for the event were not conveniently located to the main room - which made for a lot of escorting and walking for us and our candidates.

The location of the hotel is superb - we had great meals just a block or two away and it's a quick cab ride from DCA. We even got to see a motorcade! (Caution - do not try and walk off the hotel grounds while they're setting up for a motorcade!)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Maine
Reviewed June 8, 2009

My young daughter and I stayed at the Omni for a weekend while visiting family. The location is perfect-walk to the Zoo and the Metro. The neighborhood feels very residential and safe, and there are plenty of restaurants and shops for everyday needs nearby. The staff at the Omni treated my daughter like a little princess and really went out of their way to make us feel welcome. I also recommend joining the Select Guest program for the complimentary morning beverages delivered to your room-its a great way to start the day. They also gave my daughter a backpack filled with toys/activities, and delivered a chocolate chip cookie and glass of milk to our room for her. More often than not, the person I wanted to tip was gone before I could even get my cash out-a refreshing change from other places where you feel compelled to tip every person all the time. I also got a great rate from their website $135.15 per night weekend rate with 21 day advance purchase. For that price, I have no complaints. It is not the Ritz or the Four Seasons, so have realistic expectations. Yes the bathroom is small, yes housekeeping is a little slow sometimes, no there are no chocolates on your pillow at bedtime. However, the rooms are large especially for DC, the beds are pretty comfortable, the pool area is great for kids, and the staff is super attentive and friendly.