“Great stay in DC”

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #80 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Omni Shoreham is a great place to stay on a DC vacation for families. The pool is a superb plus after a hot day of sightseeing. The room was spacious and well kept, service fine. Only negatives were that they charge you for the internet which usually comes with the price in other hotels of this standard and the slow elevators - luckily enough we were at the fourth floor so we used the stairs instead of the endless waiting for crammed elevators. But this is only a small hick-up in an otherwise comfortable stay.

• Stayed: July 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (7,358)

Reviewed July 24, 2014

The hotel was excellent. Easy access to the metro. The pool was great for the kids. The staff was very attentive and the room was very clean. Lots of restaurants in the area.

The only thing I caution is if you are a GHA (Global Hotel Alliance) member. I had booked the room through a 3rd party provider, not directly through Omni or GHA. I was told by the front desk, that since I booked through a 3rd party provider I was not entitled to all of my benefits (platinum level). I called GHA and they confirmed that they recently changed their terms in June 2014.

What strikes me as odd, is that I received an e-mail to complete a survey and it stated, "In Partnership With... Tripadvisor". Although I can go to Tripadvisor and book a not qualifying rate. I feel as though this is a bit of a "bait and switch". I stayed at the Omni because of my previous experiences with the brand and that I received certain privileges as a platinum member.

Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a work conference in May 2014. The hotel is within walking distance of the Woodley Park metro station, making it convenient to many area attractions and museums. The hotel is also in walking distance to the zoo. The room was comfortable. The hotel accommodated several different conferences during my stay. I did not get to go to the pool, but I heard it was nice. I would stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The lobby is beautiful, the pool is great for families. I know they are renovating rooms, unfortunately I don't think we got one of those newly renovated rooms. Not to say it wasn't clean or nicely decorated, but it was on the smaller side, had an old place smell to it and the bathroom and closet were tiny. The bathroom was nearly impossible to change in it was so tiny. I would recommend joining the free loyalty program if you are interested in wi fi, it's free as a member but 9.95 per day otherwise. The loyalty program also gets you juice or coffee in the morning delivered and turn down service at night.
We did the zoo package which includes parking and breakfast in the morning. I was not impressed with the morning breakfast buffet at all. I almost wish we hadn't "prepaid" for he week because while I hate to waste the money, I just wanted something better than runny scrambled eggs to start the day.
My other complaint is the lack of laundry facilities. Sure I could pay $ 11 per shirt to have the hotel launder things, but when on vacation with the family for the week that really isn't practice. We had to take our laundry on he metro to get to a laundromat.

2  Thank Carla B
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Having researched my 3-day trip to DC (from NJ) extensively, I landed upon the Omni Shoreham primarily for its big pool - which did not disappoint. It was also a short walk to the Metro, an easy place to grab a cab, and quick ride to Georgetown and other cool neighborhoods.

Checking In: We drove from NJ and arrived at 11am. I had remarked to them that we might arrive early and while they could not guarantee that they would be able to check us in that early, they actually had a room ready for us. This was huge since we could wash up, change clothes and start our busy touring agenda that very morning.

The room: Finding accomodations for 2 adults and 3 kids is super difficult in my opinion and many hotels will make you get a second room or pay for an extra bed. We had their 2 queen suite which also had a pull-out couch allowing 2 of my kids (6,5) to sleep in one queen, my wife and I to sleep in our own bed and our oldest (8) to sleep on the living room pull-out, that was separated from the bedroom by a wall. Their were TVs on both sides of the wall. The bathroom was a bit worn down as were some details of the room (little paint chipping, rug stains, sketchy balcony) but nothing that made us cringe. Very suitable accomodations for a quick family trip for sure.

The grounds: The hotel actually has a ton of history to it and has hosted parties for every Presidential inaguration since the 1930s. The grounds are beautiful and they provide bikes for riding around the affluent and partially residential neighborhood. The pool is a huge draw and mu kids and I used it in the early morning when it was empty as well as when we came back from touring in the heat all day, when it was fairly crowded. No matter how crowded it got, we never had too much trouble finding a chairs. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is a pool "restaurant" that serves the standard poolside fare and its not bad. The pool servers are young and sometimes appear overwhelmed but we enjoyed cocktails and snacks poolside every day.

The food: Other than the pool, the one thing that my children (and I) will always remember fondly is the ridiculous breakfast spread held every morning in the grand dining room. It almost seems like a throwback with formally dressed waiters, omelette bar, fresh fruit galore, pancakes, fresh made Belgian waffles and everything else you could ask for. And all set in a high-ceilinged grand dining room that one could picture was used for large political functions. The breakfast was included in our package and we gladly ate there every morning to start the day. It was sonderful to allow the kids to run around the grounds (all fenced in and safe) after breakfast while my wife and I enjoyed coffee for 10 minutes of peace. Dinner we had outside the hotel.

Location: I am not so familiar with the DC geography but I do know that the hotel was in easy walking distance to the Metro stop, a great coffee place, the trolly tour stop, and the hotel can grab you a cab if none of those suffice. The zoo is also a fairly close walk (10-15 mins). I enjoyed being a bit removed from the super touristy areas so for us it was perfect.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank StopPagingMe
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed in the Omni for 6 nights during a trip to Washington. We had to ask several times for not working safe box, undelivered news paper, cleaning dusty area and broken sauna because they never did it for the first time of asking. Room was very old and dusty. I will never stay there again.

2  Thank 7JeanLee
Amanda B, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Dear 7JeanLee-
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I am saddened by your comments regarding your stay with us.
We strive to provide exceptional service for all of our guests. We want the Omni Shoreham to be your home away from home. I am very sorry that we were not able to repair your safe or deliver your requested newspaper. The lack of response from our staff is very surprising to me. This is not typical for our hotel and our Associates.
As you can read from other guests’ reviews our rooms are traditionally very clean and comfortable. I assure you that I will address the issue of dust with our housekeeping department.
We want to learn from your comments and your experience. Would it be possible to discuss your stay in further detail? Please reach out to me at your convenience at aburroughs@omnihotels.com.
We hope to welcome you back as our guest and show you the Omni Shoreham service that we are known for providing.
Amanda Burroughs
Director, Front Office Operations
Omni Shoreham Hotel
202-756-5209

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We spent 7 nights at the Omni and it was wonderful. It is a beautiful old hotel with a rich history. It is very convenient to the metro station and the trolley comes by about .1 of a mile from the hotel. Our room was extremely quiet, clean, and comfortable. I would definitely stay here again if we return to DC.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple