“Great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #64 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Jacksonville, United States
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

The Shoreham was a great location for my business meeting. It was convenient to local restaurants and I enjoyed the short walk to the zoo. The rooms are very large, and i appreciate the history of this beautiful hotel. I also appreciated the special touches for my daughter accompaning me on my business travel.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ottawa, KS, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Excellent service and an outstanding, friendly staff! The amenities were easy to locate and use. Both the inside and outside staff were extremely helpful and always knew the answers to any questions we had of them.

Cumming, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Love visiting Omni Hotels, and being a part of their Select Guest program. Always welcoming, and comfortable - do yourself a favor and stay here! I was very happy with the location as well as the room I stayed in while here.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We visited for both business and weekend fun. The staff are always pleasant and helpful. The concierge recommended a couple of cool local restaurants, as well as cheerfully provided me with some after hours printing services. We enjoyed Sunday brunch room service, which wasn't particularly spectacular, but satisfying none-the-less. The mattress and linens were the most comfortable I have enjoyed in awhile and I slept very well here. I also love the history and the architecture. The old world grand scale provided a lovely backdrop for our stay. They definitely need to update the windows, as I could feel the cold March air coming through, but a fluffy bathroom towel rolled up at the sill was a fine trick. My friend parked a car in their lot for two nights, which allowed us to walk to nearby DuPont Circle and then we pressed on in our walking shoes to Georgetown. We had a lovely time and I would return here anytime I am in town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Of the three US hotels I visited on this trip, the Omni Shoreham was my least favourite. Unlike the other two, I'm sure the Shoreham would be classified as 'luxurious', and I could simply say that it wasn't my cup of tea (literally, see below) and leave it at that. You don't get the feeling that the proprietors and managers take pride in their hotel. For one thing, the Shoreham is somewhat overpriced as most things in DC tend to be. For these rates I would expect more hospitality. Surely you could eg afford to offer free wifi in the rooms without forcing your guests to join a loyalty programme. As a satisfied customer I should want to join because my visit was so pleasurable, not be forced to join in exchange for a very basic service. The building itself is quite nice, from the 1930s I would imagine, and central DC is easily accessible by Metro. The vast lobby and dining room look like a scene from 'The Shining'. At least some effort has been made to decorate the rather spacious rooms to honour the architecture. There are expensively framed sepia photographs of DC on the walls, the kind of prints you find in airline magazines. But once again, at these prices you could afford to support your local artists and get some original art instead. The coffee making facilities were rudimentary, and there weren't enough bags of black tea to serve both inhabitants of the room. Saving on tea bags is probably not a viable model in the hospitality business. The fan of the antiquated air conditioning unit was very noisy. But the most ridiculous feature of all was an empty space in the room nearly the size of a small student flat that for some incomprehensible reason they had decided to decorate with a huge and ugly treadmill. I'm sure they have space for a gym somewhere in this big hotel. I'm told that the conferencing facilities are good. The concierge was priceless. He loved his home town and gave tips and advice to visitors accordingly. If only the hotel proprietors and managers had even half his love for their own establishment, then things could look much better.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We arrived to a disorganized valet service and hesitantly handed our keys over. In entering our room, we found dried urine on the toilet seat. Had to call twice and walk down to the front desk to get help. We never heard from a manager, no offer to change rooms-nothing. We checked out and let them know the problem. They "fixed" the situation with free parking??The main service of a hotel is to provide a clean room! Paying for a dirty hotel room isnt rectified with free parking. Got our car from the valet-back seat was flipped down, no explanation why. Emailed management and response dropped off. Worst. Service. Ever.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Kryshanna
tkermabon, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Kryshanna,

Thank you very much for taking the time to inform us of the details of your stay through TripAdivsor. Please accept our apologies for the issues you experienced with the cleanliness of your guest bathroom, valet services and promptness of management to rectify the situation in a timely manner. Your feedback has been shared with the appropriate department heads for remediation.

As a well respected luxury property in the District, it is our goal to provide an exceptional experience for all of our guests. I am embarrassed to hear that we have fallen short of this standard. It is crucial for us to absorb your feedback so that we can make the appropriate corrections to strengthen our service standards.

We certainly would like to make this up to you. I ask that you contact me directly so that I can manage your next reservation to ensure you receive an appropriate and upgraded accommodation.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Brooke Romm
LID-Rooms Division
Exeter, Devon, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

The Omni Shoreham has many very good features - its location is good, rooms are generous and have everything one would require. Yet, it does feel very dated and is a bit tired in some areas - especially the décor. I would have rated the hotel very good had it not been for the wifi charges (which I think should come as standard) and the fact that my room was incredibly cold even with the heating on (leaky windows).