“First class” 4 of 5 stars

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #52 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
“First class”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Nice clean rooms, friendly staff, nice mix of old style charm (hotel built in 1930) but modernized. Great outside heated pool and gym. Only drawback was small elevators which made luggage tight. But overall - great hotel

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Jack R
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Jack R.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at the Omni Shoreham Hotel. Thank you for sharing your feedback and I hope you will stay with us again soon.

(202) 756-5109

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Korean first
Minnesota City, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I've gone to large scale meetings and conventions in DC for many years. The Shoreham is often used as the 'backup' hotel for a convention that is headquartered at the Marriott Wardman across the street. Unlike its good neighbor to the North the Shoreham is classy, and has an attentive, caring staff.

The property is conveniently located one block from the red metro line.

I stayed there for a meeting in April and the property was in excellent condition. The restaurants are good quality and efficient when the hotel is crowded as it was this visit. The room was older, but everything was comfortable and clean.

The Shoreham is one of only a few DC hotels with an outdoor pool, and I believe it is the most attractive. It is surrounded by beautiful gardens -- more what you might expect from a country club.

Even when not on business, I try to stay at this property. It is a classic!

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool or gardens. If facing the front of the hotel go for a higher floor.
2 Thank Route162
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful 2 night stay with our 10 year old grandson. The hotel is Old World Charm-beautifully perserved! As an old hotel it is impeccably maintained. The lobby is gorgeous (Fodor votes it the nicest lobby in a Washington DC hotel). Robert's Restaurant, steps down from the enormous lobby, is equally as stunning. The breakfast buffet had it all- from customized omlettes to waffles and unusual all inclusive ingredients. It had to be one of the best breakfeast buffets we have had! (pricetag $21 per person,kids free, but included in our Kids Zoo Package Hotel Special)

Take a star off if a tiny bathroom is a deal breaker, because you won't find a smaller one in any other hotel. Infact, we have been on cruise ships where the bathroom was larger! Wondering why our hotel room, on the top 8th floor, was so tremendous and the bathroom so tiny, we were informed that the hotel was an original apartment building dating back to the 1930's. To keep the integrity of the building, the studio apartments were turned into hotel guest rooms and the bathrooms the original size.

PRO's:
*Gorgeous, elegant hotel in lovely safe area of DC
* Near the National Zoo (3 blocks walking distance)
*Large rooms, very comfortable beds
*Great Breakfast Buffet
*Well-kept, original "Old World"
* Special all-inclusive "Zoo" Package price for families travelling with kids/includes breakfast and parking
*Across the street from Open City Diner

Con's:
*Tiny narrow bathrooms with small tubs and no counterspace
* A cab ride or metro away from the other famous sites

A lovely added touch was the cookies and milk waiting for my grandson in our room when we arrived, as well as the "Zoo Package" stuffed panda included! The staff was friendly and helpful.Fun to see black and white photos of the Beatles who stayed at this hotel in the 60's and many presidents and movie stars in the past!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travrel
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had the pleasure to stay in the a very large suite at the Omni on the top floor. The room itself was lovely -- several rooms -- large bathroom and a comfortable bed. It also had a great balcony where you could go in the morning to have a nice cup of coffee. The two downside to the room -- the air handling unit in the bedroom was extremely loud - might have needed some repair. The other issue was that the shower was a little oddly placed above the tub so that you have to stand a little awkwardly. Overall, we thought the room was great and the staff friendly.

The location -- although a little removed from downtown DC in Adams Morgan -- was great. It was so easy to pick up the redline metro and get to all the sights. Plus, for breakfast before heading out, there was a great place -- the diner across the street where we had two delicious breakfasts. We'd stay at the Omni again for sure even though it is not right in DC by the museums.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Redhead2681
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I don’t like hotels, regardless of the star rating. I practically need a hazmat suit to get into the bed. But I realize the necessity of them and I am fair with my reviews. The Omni Shoreham, for the most part, is an excellent hotel. I stayed for three nights for a business trip. It is a very historic hotel with all of the modern amenities that you can ask for. I hope you’ll consider this to be a thorough summary.
My initial impression: First thing to remember – there is no self-parking and valet parking can be expensive. So be prepared for that added expense. The lobby is magnificent. It has a historic feel. It’s large, very clean and inviting.
The rooms: Very clean and spacious. The bathroom looked as if it was updated very recently. Everything was modern and in great working order. The bed was clean. Nice desk to work on and the hallways are kept clean as well.
The elevators: They were very small. I don’t think more than five or six people can comfortably fit with luggage.
The fitness room: This is the best fitness room I’ve ever seen in a hotel in my life, and I’ve stayed in a lot of hotels in my career. It’s big, plenty of machine and free weights and very clean. They even have lockers. I did not visit the pool during my stay but people seemed to be enjoying it.
There outside of the property: The grounds are beyond beautiful. I wedding was taking place outside on the property my first day there. Flowers were everywhere and the lawns were well manicured.
The location: The hotel is in a very ideal part of Washington, DC. Rock Creek Park is directly behind the hotel for those who like to walk, run or enjoy nature. The Smithsonian Zoo is a short walk, as well as a Metro (subway) station. The neighborhood is great. It has a variety of ethnic restaurants.
The restaurant: Very good food, but pricey, as you would expect. The daily brunch seemed to be more popular than dinner hours.
Customer service: The front desk staff was great. But my issue came on my last night. I called the complaint restaurant at 9:30 pm and asked what time it closed. I was told 10:30 but seating stopped at 10:15. I got there at 9:55 and was denied service. I ordered room service which was very expensive. My complaint is why would they say seating ends at 10:15 and then turn me away at 9:55? Even if few people were dining at that hour, a hotel or restaurant should honor its times, especially for business people who might eat late because of meetings in the hotel.
Pets: To my dismay, I saw a dog on the elevator one night. I assume this means the hotel is pet friendly. But the guest got off on the first floor, so maybe pets are restricted to that floor. I didn’t ask, but I hope so.
Overall: This was a great hotel, but the restaurant mishap prevents me from giving a perfect score. If it weren’t for that, I would have rated this stay as perfect, but I will still give it a top score of excellent. I would stay again without hesitation but I would first speak to the GM about the restaurant hours. I didn’t pay much attention to the rate because I was being reimbursed, but I think it costs around $229 per night. But if this fits your budget, I would stay here for sure.

Room Tip: Request a room on the east side of the hotel for a better view.
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Rooms were booked here for a wedding we attended. All the staff was very helpful and friendly. Roberts Restaurant in the hotel is quite good for breakfast, but expect to pay a considerable mark-up ($21 for the buffet). The decor throughout is beautiful, and as a design lover, I was so happy to see a hotel room that wasn't navy blue!

The clientele was a broad mix: conference attendees, international flight crews (Virgin and KLM), families with small children.

The bed wasn't the most luxurious mattress I've ever slept on, but it was comfortable. The down pillows weren't quite fluffy enough for me. The room was spacious and the bath was remodeled.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anonymous980
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Anonymous980,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Omni Shoreham on TripAdvisor. I'm glad the wedding you attended gave you an opportunity to experience our hotel and I appreciate all of your comments. If you return, please feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do to assist with planning your stay.

Maryland!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Attended a conference here, stayed one night. Location is sublime, tons of great restaurants across the street and down the road, easy metro access, next to rock creek park. Service was great, front desk staff, valet, bellmen, etc. Small coffeeshop in lobby expensive but expected. Fitness center was very nicely done and had tons of equipment and weights. Conference facilities are nice too. Saw some families staying here as well as lots of conference type folks. A little tired in some parts of the room, and could hear a lot of hallway noise but not a major issue.

Would recommend.

1 Thank Marylandmama
Dear Marylandmama,

It was a pleasure for me to read that you enjoyed your recent conference stay at the Omni Shoreham. I'm glad my fellow associates took great care of you during your time with us. Thank you for recommending our hotel on TripAdvisor and I hope that you will be our guest again soon.

Kindest Regards,