“Nice stay in a lovely room.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Shoreham Hotel

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #51 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice stay in a lovely room.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had the pleasure to stay in the a very large suite at the Omni on the top floor. The room itself was lovely -- several rooms -- large bathroom and a comfortable bed. It also had a great balcony where you could go in the morning to have a nice cup of coffee. The two downside to the room -- the air handling unit in the bedroom was extremely loud - might have needed some repair. The other issue was that the shower was a little oddly placed above the tub so that you have to stand a little awkwardly. Overall, we thought the room was great and the staff friendly.

The location -- although a little removed from downtown DC in Adams Morgan -- was great. It was so easy to pick up the redline metro and get to all the sights. Plus, for breakfast before heading out, there was a great place -- the diner across the street where we had two delicious breakfasts. We'd stay at the Omni again for sure even though it is not right in DC by the museums.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Redhead2681

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I don’t like hotels, regardless of the star rating. I practically need a hazmat suit to get into the bed. But I realize the necessity of them and I am fair with my reviews. The Omni Shoreham, for the most part, is an excellent hotel. I stayed for three nights for a business trip. It is a very historic hotel with all of the modern amenities that you can ask for. I hope you’ll consider this to be a thorough summary.
My initial impression: First thing to remember – there is no self-parking and valet parking can be expensive. So be prepared for that added expense. The lobby is magnificent. It has a historic feel. It’s large, very clean and inviting.
The rooms: Very clean and spacious. The bathroom looked as if it was updated very recently. Everything was modern and in great working order. The bed was clean. Nice desk to work on and the hallways are kept clean as well.
The elevators: They were very small. I don’t think more than five or six people can comfortably fit with luggage.
The fitness room: This is the best fitness room I’ve ever seen in a hotel in my life, and I’ve stayed in a lot of hotels in my career. It’s big, plenty of machine and free weights and very clean. They even have lockers. I did not visit the pool during my stay but people seemed to be enjoying it.
There outside of the property: The grounds are beyond beautiful. I wedding was taking place outside on the property my first day there. Flowers were everywhere and the lawns were well manicured.
The location: The hotel is in a very ideal part of Washington, DC. Rock Creek Park is directly behind the hotel for those who like to walk, run or enjoy nature. The Smithsonian Zoo is a short walk, as well as a Metro (subway) station. The neighborhood is great. It has a variety of ethnic restaurants.
The restaurant: Very good food, but pricey, as you would expect. The daily brunch seemed to be more popular than dinner hours.
Customer service: The front desk staff was great. But my issue came on my last night. I called the complaint restaurant at 9:30 pm and asked what time it closed. I was told 10:30 but seating stopped at 10:15. I got there at 9:55 and was denied service. I ordered room service which was very expensive. My complaint is why would they say seating ends at 10:15 and then turn me away at 9:55? Even if few people were dining at that hour, a hotel or restaurant should honor its times, especially for business people who might eat late because of meetings in the hotel.
Pets: To my dismay, I saw a dog on the elevator one night. I assume this means the hotel is pet friendly. But the guest got off on the first floor, so maybe pets are restricted to that floor. I didn’t ask, but I hope so.
Overall: This was a great hotel, but the restaurant mishap prevents me from giving a perfect score. If it weren’t for that, I would have rated this stay as perfect, but I will still give it a top score of excellent. I would stay again without hesitation but I would first speak to the GM about the restaurant hours. I didn’t pay much attention to the rate because I was being reimbursed, but I think it costs around $229 per night. But if this fits your budget, I would stay here for sure.

Room Tip: Request a room on the east side of the hotel for a better view.
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Rooms were booked here for a wedding we attended. All the staff was very helpful and friendly. Roberts Restaurant in the hotel is quite good for breakfast, but expect to pay a considerable mark-up ($21 for the buffet). The decor throughout is beautiful, and as a design lover, I was so happy to see a hotel room that wasn't navy blue!

The clientele was a broad mix: conference attendees, international flight crews (Virgin and KLM), families with small children.

The bed wasn't the most luxurious mattress I've ever slept on, but it was comfortable. The down pillows weren't quite fluffy enough for me. The room was spacious and the bath was remodeled.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anonymous980
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Anonymous980,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Omni Shoreham on TripAdvisor. I'm glad the wedding you attended gave you an opportunity to experience our hotel and I appreciate all of your comments. If you return, please feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do to assist with planning your stay.

Maryland!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Attended a conference here, stayed one night. Location is sublime, tons of great restaurants across the street and down the road, easy metro access, next to rock creek park. Service was great, front desk staff, valet, bellmen, etc. Small coffeeshop in lobby expensive but expected. Fitness center was very nicely done and had tons of equipment and weights. Conference facilities are nice too. Saw some families staying here as well as lots of conference type folks. A little tired in some parts of the room, and could hear a lot of hallway noise but not a major issue.

Would recommend.

1 Thank Marylandmama
Dear Marylandmama,

It was a pleasure for me to read that you enjoyed your recent conference stay at the Omni Shoreham. I'm glad my fellow associates took great care of you during your time with us. Thank you for recommending our hotel on TripAdvisor and I hope that you will be our guest again soon.

Kindest Regards,

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is a very nice historical hotel. I stayed here for conference. The hotel was full of people due to various conferences. It is an excellent historical hotel with many friendly staff. The hotel is located close to the subway station.
The room was clean and nice.

The only complaint is that the bathroom was not cleaned well.
When I got into the bathroom, I found hairs and dental floss at the bathroom floor, and hairs at the bath tub.

1 Thank Chul A
Dear Chul A,

I appreciate your review but would like to offer my sincerest apologies that we did not do a better job with your bathroom. I'd like to assure you that cleanliness is a top priority at our hotel and I will be sharing your feedback with our Director of Housekeeping.

I am glad that you appreciated the history of our property and I hope you will stay with us again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I recently spent 10 days at the Omni Shoreham hotel in Washington during April. Although a bit out of the centre of the City (about 3 miles to the Lincoln Memorial) it is right beside the Woodly Park metro which connects to all downtown locations. There are plenty of bars and restuarants around the hotel and we tended to spend the day downtown and the evenings locally. The room was spacious and comfortable and the benefits of the loyalty programme excellent (free wi fi, free hot drink and newspaper each morning, express check in etc) As with all American hotels i have been to the staff are extremely polite and helpful. A quality hotel in a good locaton.

1 Thank Alanml3
Dear Alanml3,

I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your 10 days at the Omni Shoreham. We are fortunate to have a location that is surrounded by many great restaurants and bars but also close enough to the metro to make accessing downtown and other areas quite simple. I am glad you found it to be convenient and hope that if your travels bring you back to DC, you will once again consider staying with us.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

we stayed here for the cherry blossoms festival and found it on sale at a travel liquidator site. the hotel was bustling with spring breaking families and business people. the renovations were lovely but the hotel managed to stay true to its old world charm with massive lobby decorated with chandeliers and antique and lush furnitures. our room was newly renovated but the doors were worn and we could easily hear the noisy guests come in and out of their rooms through the gap on the old doors. the elevators are small and from the old era so you may need to lug your stuff through the stairs. the front desk and concierge were helpful and happy to serve us. we had cocktails at the cozy lounge were service was impeccable. we had easter brunch at the main restaurant of the hotel and the varied menu was very good for a buffet. it is walking distance to the eclectic neighborhoods at adams morgan and some of the best restaurants in the area - open city for brunch and sakuramen for inexpensive lunch. it is close to the metro and city bike sharing program bike depot.

Room Tip: ask for room in the upper floors far from the elevators where people loudly congregate. the west win...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear latinforthames,

I appreciate you choosing the Omni Shoreham Hotel as your home base during the Cherry Blossom season. I appreciated reading what you made your stay with us enjoyable but regret that you did experience some noise from the corridor. If you return, I would be happy to work with you to make sure your room is in one of the quieter areas of the hotel. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read about your stay.