“History Abounds”

Ranked #65 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Bend, Oregon
“History Abounds”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recently attended a seminar at the Omni Shoreham in Washington D.C. It is a wonderful older hotel. As you explore the public areas you can see photos of prominent folks in entertainment and politics who are associated with the hotel's past. They range from Rudy Valee to the Beatles and from FDR to Bill Clinton. Yes, it is an older hotel, but my room was spacious and well updated. There were plenty of electrical outlets for my gadgets and there was a never a problem with the heat despite very cold temperatures outside. The carpet showed its age, but the room was clean and well maintained. The bed was made while I attended my conference, and the covers were turned down while I went out for dinner.

The continental breakfast and hot drink service provided to conference attendees was very high quality. The prices in the main dining room, however, were prohibitive on my budget. This led me to the conciege desk where I made the acquaintance of Senior Concierge Herman Monroe. I asked for recommendations for dining locations off the property. Mr. Monroe took the time to get to know me before he made recommendations. As a result I had wonderful meals within my price range. Best, I have a new friend.

Room Tip: By joining the Omni rewards program even as a first time guest, I was able to get free wi-fi.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TLR52848
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
What a pleasure for us to read about your experience at the Omni Shoreham Hotel. We look forward to recognizing Herman for helping to make your time in our city more enjoyable. If you return to Washington, DC we hope you will again consider us for your accommodations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
NYC
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here for one week for company meetings. This property is massive and it seemed there were thousands of people attending different conferences. It looks like an old partment building from outside and the lobby and rooms feel dated with small windows. An old window AC/heater makes a huge blowing noise which reminded me of a cheap motel. I was also bothered by the noise of slaming doors from other rooms. There are only 2 elevators in each wing and once I waited for 10 minutes or more at the lobby level after check-in. After that I used the emergency stairs for the rest of my stay. Meeting rooms were generally cold and reguired a jacket but one room had 78 degree tempearature and I was sweating during the meeting. There's no efficient heating/cooling system throughout the building I suppose. On the other hand, the reception staff were very courtious and I like the fact that you can check in online prior to arrival and you only have to pick up the card key upon arrival.

I would not stay here for leisure, especially for a price tag of $260+ but I think it's a good option for large company meetings/ conferences.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate all of your valuable feedback and regret that we did not live up to your expectations for all aspects of your stay. All of your comments will be shared with our management team as we are always in search of ways to enhance the experiences of our guests. Thank you for allowing us to read about your stay and we hope for a future opportunity to provide you with a great stay.
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed here for a week as the first half of a US holiday.
Very impressed by the building, the quality of the room and the quality of the food and room service. Would definitely stay again.
Great location for the zoo and the underground train system, which is brilliant.
Good restaurants within yards and great for breakfast as well.
Go out with photo id or you be refused a drink like I was.
50 years old and I had to prove I was 18!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TerenceCH
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for including the Omni Shoreham Hotel as part of your US Holiday. We are glad you had a great stay and enjoyed the surrounding area. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again soon.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, right on Rock Creek park and very close to many dining options.
The terrace, restaurants, and public areas are full of history and elegance. My room was large.
One big problem. The bathroom was tiny. There was no space at the sink to put anything.
There was shelving on the wall behind the toilet to put your items but if you are clumsy they are apt to fall into the toilet. If you are very overweight, it would be hard to fit between the sink and toilet. I will definitely stay here on my next business trip to DC but I will ask fora room in the new the new wing where, I hear, the bathrooms are normal size.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Shoshanna E
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
We appreciate your comments and are glad to read that you enjoyed our location right next to Rock Creek National Park. It is a pleasure to hear that you plan to return and we would be delighted to assist you with getting a room in our Park View Wing with the larger bathrooms.
Shaw, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

From check in to check out excellent customer service, good size room, king size bed, bath and shower, plenty of tv channels. free limited tea and coffee, four coffee(inc 2 decaf) and four tea,as we are not really tea drinkers could do with more, free wi-fi in lobby or $9-95 in room. Breakfast buffet great with plenty on offer for $23(inc tax), or go over the road to Open City for a bit cheaper.

Room Tip: Higher room at the rear to see views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andy S
We are glad you had a great experience from start to finish at the Omni Shoreham Hotel. If you plan to return, we would like you to enjoy our Select Guest Loyalty Program. Two of the many perks are free beverage delivery service each morning and complimentary wireless internet in your room. Thank you for allowing us to read about your experience and we hope for a future opportunity to serve you.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here as part of a package we booked with an Internet travel company and we were pleasantly surprised. The standard of the hotel was very good with friendly staff who checked us in no problem. The room size was massive, I don't think I have ever stayed in such a large hotel room! There are 2 really positive things about this hotel, 1 being the exceptionally comfortable bed and the other being the location. It is just out of the centre of DC (on the Red Metro Line) in an area called Woodley. Around the hotel is several very good restaurants and diners which provide excellent meals at a reasonable cost, in fact we didn't have a bad meal in any of them. We didn't eat in the hotel as a result so can't really comment on the food there. There is free WiFi in the lobby although you can get it in your hotel room for only $9.95 which isn't bad. If you are new to DC its a little difficult to get to but it is possible by public transport by taking the 5 bus to L'Enfant plaza from the airport then the Green and Red lines on the Metro. We opted for the easier route of a taxi from Dulles which is about $65 in slightly heavy traffic.

Room Tip: We had one over the park which was a good view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Capt_tuBBymAN
We are happy to read that you had a great stay at the Omni Shoreham and enjoyed the variety of dining options in our neighborhood. Thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor and we hope you will consider us for future trips to Washington, DC.
India
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We booked this hotel as a last-minute choice and although it offered everything it said on the label, I found it a little run-down. The history of the hotel (haunting included!) is fascinating and we couldn't complain but unlikely to be returning here in favour of something more boutique and not as mammoth in size. Good location though.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dishadisha
We appreciate your comments and regret that our hotel didn't match up with the style of hotel that you prefer to stay in. We are glad that you enjoyed learning about the history of our hotel and found our location to be convenient. If you change your mind, we would love the opportunity to welcome you back.