“Comfortable despite......” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #64 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington, DC
“Comfortable despite......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I would stay here again despite the issues I describe below because the second front desk person, the supervisor, really did try to address my concerns in a thorough manner...

I stayed here during a prolonged power outage so everyone in the area was trying to stay at a hotel. I appreciated that they had not tripled the price (as other hotels had done) in this emergency situtation but I also noted that reservataions stated they were not at capacity. I booked the room and checked in within one to 2 hours. I was moved to the Parkview side after issues with a barking dog on the other side of the hotel. I originally was put in a room on a floor reserved for those with dogs (I did not have a dog with me). When I called to move the room within 1/2 hour after checkin the manager was not willing to move me and claimed there were no rooms available which was untrue. Security was sent to investigate the dog but did not even knock on the door with the dog until I insisted. Instead of ensuring the dog was quiet as the manager insisted was the solution (instead of moving me)(how does a hotel ensure the dog will not bark anyway?), the dog continued to yap. After insisting I got the manager to move my room. Usually when having a room moved the front desk sends a bellhop to assist and take you directly to the next room. Instead the manager told me to come back to the front desk. I told her that was not good customer service and I wanted someone to bring me my new room key. When the person did not come in a reasonable timeframe I ended up going to the front desk to get the key anyway. This time I ended up talking with a supervisor instead of the manager and she was accomodating. I was moved to opposite wing - Parkview. The rooms were to be more exclusive and quiet. The view was nice but the room on the other side of the hotel was so much larger and comfortable. Parkview rooms were like an ordinary nice hotel room whereas the other side had an entrance room before entering a large room with a spacious bathroom and walk in closet. I still encountered a barking dog on Parkview side but the dog was in the room without permission (whereas there was permission for the other dog on the otherside and the front desk knew about the dog when assigning me a room). The barking was a little further away so it was not so bad. I understand that thousands of people were looking for a room with air conditioning during the heat wave and prolonged recovery from the storm so I can understand people wanting to bring their dogs to the hotel. I didn't like how the hotel initially handled my complaints but the front desk person/supervisor responded better than the manager and tried to make my stay better despite the initial bad service. She personally followed up with the second family with the barking dog and I appreciated her providing a comped dinner for the evening. One last note the elevators were very slow. But oh how nice to have air conditioning that evening!!!!!

Room Tip: Ensure you are put on a floor without dogs and ask for a room on the west side. I rate the Parkview...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
We do welcome small dogs to our property but we have guidelines to prevent them from disturbing our other guests. Please accept our apologies that in your case there were frustrations that arose from a neighboring dog and that your concerns were not more quickly and approapriately resolved. We do appreciate your compliments of the supervisor that was eventually able to take care of the situation and we hope for a future opportunity to provide you with a great stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

The Omni Shoreham is a unique property in DC with a resort-style property complete with gardens and outdoor pool that backs Rock Creek Park. It is within easy walking distance of a Metro station, lots of great restaurants and bars, and the National Zoo. It is very much a classic and historic hotel with crystal chandeliers, traditional furniture, and polished service. The public areas are kept in immaculate shape. Our corner room was spacious by DC standards, and although the bathroom was small it did function well. The room was clean and fresh, and housekeeping was generally good with some inconsistencies. During our weeklong stay, housekeeping missed our room once (although someone did apparently collect the room service tray but left everything else), but it was quickly corrected.

The breakfast buffet at Roberts Restaurant is a real treat, and be sure to sit on the veranda if the weather is nice. The gardens behind the hotel are beautiful and it's a great place to enjoy wonderful food and a leisurely morning.

We've stayed at this hotel twice now for business, and our one major complaint both times is the valet-bellhop mafia. Valet is run by a contractor, but frankly that isn't an excuse. Some of the men are nice, but the vast majority make it very clear that you are in THEIR parking lane and an inconvenience for them. They need to learn basic pleasantries like welcome, good morning, please, and thank you. One of our colleagues made them mistake of tipping a bellhop generously up front, but a different bellhop actually delivered the packages, leading to an awkward situation where he felt compelled to tip again. They move at their own pace and show little friendliness. We left the hotel on a bad note courtesy (or lack thereof) of a demanding bell captain who told us what to do. No pleasantries, no offer to help with our bags, just orders.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We are very disappointed to read that an otherwise lovely stay was overshadowed by a less than stellar experience with our door staff. We agree that our guests should be greeted with a friendly smile and feel well taken care of. Please accept our apologies that this was not your experience and know that we will be sharing your feedback with the management of this department. Thank you for also taking the time to share your positive feedback and we hope that we will have a future opportunity to serve you.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

The history of the hotel and various dignitaries stays over the years is interesting. The hotel lobby and public areas are nicely done. Bathrooms are a little old fashioned in the sense ours
was small but then one must consider the age of the hotel Meeting rooms were quite nice and well equipped. I love the location of the hotel-right in the Georgetown area.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger; I think hotel just finished some remodeling.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate you taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We hope you will stay with us again soon!
Jensen Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I was booked into the Omni Shoreham for a week break away on the East coast with some old class mates. I have not stayed with the Omni Hotels group and was certainly not disappointed with this one in DC. Hotels in Washington DC are routinely expensive and I have to say this one price's very well when compared to others of a similar standing. The hotel itself is large but the staff still have a mentality for keeping the atmosphere and care similar to that of a smaller personalised hotel. Our stay started with a smile and a very efficient check in. The concierge and reception area is great - nice size and well adourned with shops catering for tourists and visitors who are staying there. Concierge staff exceedingly pleasant and full of nice ideas and handy tips for discovering this great city. The rooms were of a decent size and generally in good nick : Clean with decent flat screen television and climate control aircon for the hot humid East coast summer. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel as there were too many places in the vacinity to enjoy instead. That said what we did see of the breakfast area looked excellent. We used the fitness centre once. It was well stocked and open 24/7 with access via room card. Staff there were - like elsewhere in the Omni Shoreham - very pleasant and helpful. A swimming pool would have been nice but I really couldn't fault if for that small omission ;) The hotel is well situated close to the local bus-lines which - thanks to the concierge's suggestion - charge $1 for a single ride down to all the sights one would need to see ; that is of course assuming that one is too lazy to explore this city with the ease of walking. All the popular spots - Dupont Circle, Georgetown, Pensylvania Ave and even the Smitthsonian and Washington/Lincoln memorials are within easy reach. I am due back in DC in October and would - with no hesitation - stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank cbwinter
We are pleased to read that you wouldn't hesitate to stay with us again after your recent experience. If you do return in October, take a look out the fitness center doors and you will find a relaxing outdoor pool for your enjoyment! Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and we look forward to your next visit!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights here while in dc. Rooms are on the smaller side and its definitely old fashioned but that's part odf its charm. Kids are quite welcome, the pool area has bar/food service, the kids got welcome backpacks and cookies. Sign up for their free omni club and you get a whole list of free extras right away including free morning coffe, tea or juice delivered to your room. The hotel staff was exceptional, the breakfast buffet was the best I've ever had. The only complaints I have pertain to the concierge obviously recommending tours based on kickbacks and not at all helpful with logistics (we met with 3 different concierges there due to shift changes and they don't share information). Other than that we would definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank mlkto457
Many thanks for your glowing review of the Omni Shoreham Hotel. We are thrilled that you had such a great stay but do apologize that your experience with our concierge team didn't live up to the rest of your stay. We will be sure to share your feedback with them so they can make improvements on how they communicate with our guests and each other. We are glad that the remainder of your stay went without a hitch and we hope for a future opportunity to have you as our guests.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Located just off Rock Creek park, this historic hotel is a lovely place to stay. Very nice rooms and a great staff. Very nice pool area and health club/spa. A short walk to the metro, but in a quet residential neighborhood

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ronald F
Thank you for writing a review of the Omni Shoreham Hotel on TripAdvisor!
Austin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed here in June 2012 for 3 nights due to a conference I was attending. The hotel was impressive by its shear size, with a stately lobby, gorgeous grounds (hammocks included) and a distinguished history (inaugural balls have been held there). In addition to those features, there were 3 highlights for me:

1) I had a room with a treadmill - definitely a first! I had read about their availability ahead of time, so I requested such a room. Very cool! I had a beautiful, large, corner room on the first floor in the West Wing, and it was extremely quiet and peaceful. I imagine the treadmill rooms are on the first floor and at the end of hallways so as not to disturb one's neighbors. I used the treadmill twice, as well as the "Get Fit" pack that was provided to me gratis (included a yoga mat, weights, fitness band).

2) The fitness center rents bikes for $7/hour, which is very convenient due to the nearby Rockcreek Park Trail, which continues on to the National Mall area. I rode down the 2 1/2-mile trail, then onto the Lincoln Memorial area during an evening ride. It was a glorious ride, and a fun, cheap way to see the city and get some exercise, too. The bike rental includes a helmet, as well as a bike pouch for personal items, as well as a small bike pump and tire repair kit.

3) I was able to walk to the National Zoo (about 5 long blocks away). Seeing the pandas and gorillas are a must! The metro is also just a block or so away, which is very convenient.

Even though the two small elevators in my wing were slow, I just used the stairs, which didn't bother me since I was on the first floor. I had very easy access to the conference rooms, which were also in the West Wing, below my floor. The conference rooms, by the way, are gorgeous - beautiful molding,decor, and some had incredible frescoes.

The staff was very accommodating and friendly. My free morning beverages arrived on time (join Omni's free Select Program for those), as did anything else I requested.

Though it was pricey, I would DEFINITELY stay here again! The weekend rates are cheaper, so if I were paying on my own dime, I would make it a long weekend stay.

Room Tip: Get a room with a treadmill - these corner rooms are large and very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank cmjcc
We truly enjoyed reading about your recent stay at the Omni Shoreham Hotel and are glad that you took advantage of so many of the recreational opportunities available at and around the hotel. Thank you for sharing the details of your stay on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.