“Great trip to Washington D.C.”
Review of The Normandy Hotel

The Normandy Hotel
Ranked #24 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Scotland
“Great trip to Washington D.C.”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We visited D.C. the end of May 2013 so weather was wonderful.
We were pleased with our hotel, clean rooms etc. excellent shower room. Expresso machine in
room but I prefer Tea but boiled up the water in machine & had some T-bags , so no problem.
Hotel in a very quiet & beautiful area. A bit of a hill to climb when u come off the Metro to hotel. Breakfast a little too expensive for us but just go down
the street to get to Starbucks for their coffee & croissants.
Hotel had a great happy hour with plenty of wine & nibbles, also loved their cookies in the jar.
We used the Metro for the whole week a great way to get everywhere.
Loved Washington, great Museums & lots of great Monuments. Go to the Pentagon (metro)
& see the 911 memorial as I am sure some people may miss it. We were exhausted but worth
it . Plenty of eating places around the Dupont Circle area.

Room Tip: Try & get a room to the front as they have better windows.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank EJB1012
ModusHotels, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Greetings Eileen Joan!

Thank you so much for the nice words in regards to your stay with us at the Normandy Hotel! There is so much to do just minutes from us and we agree, it’s great to come back to our beautiful gem of a hotel a day of activities ends. Please keep us in mind when your travels bring you back to DC. We would be most pleased to host you once again and make your stay with us wonderful!

Best,

Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Hebrew first
Altoona, Iowa
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We found this a charming place to stay. The staff Lamiae, David, and Emmanuel gave exceptional customer service!!! We were able to check in early which was greatly appreciated since we had been up at 3:00AM to catch the flight to DC. One day I forgot my cell phone so I called to see if they would " cab " it to Union Station for me. Emmanuel brought it to me himself...service beyond the call of duty. They helped with our luggage, gave us water all the time ( very hot and humid ), called for cabs, just very accommodating. We would definitely stay here again if ever in the DC area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank IATraveler430
ModusHotels, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Greetings IATraveler430!

First and foremost, thank you so much for spending time with us at the Normandy Hotel. I am beyond thrilled that your stay with us was such an amazing one. Our property and location define charm and it’s wonderful to see that the Normandy made your visit to DC wonderful. We have an amazing team here and I cannot wait to share your comments with them. We are so passionate when it comes to making sure our guests have an experience like none other. Thank you for singing their praises and know that we are your home away from home when ever your travels bring you to DC!

Warm regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Don't stay here! I stayed here for a week while at a conference in DC recently and will never do it again. 1st and foremost... I never write reviews... but after my experience with the Normandy I felt the need to warn others

I'll start with the positive... great location, nice rooms (especially the bed) .... that's it.

Lots of negative, which I think is driven by a recent change in hotel ownership...
Check-In: Horrible! My roommate and I arrived with lots of luggage and no help from staff. Then we checked in and while checking in we were asked, how did you book with us?? As if they could not find our reservation... After check-in and later that day we were blindsided by a charge for our entire stay instead of the $50 incidental charge we were told of. When we called to ask about it we were greeted by a, frankly, rude and condescending staff member. After almost two hours of conversation and no one admitting fault for not disclosing that the entire amount would be charged up front, we were finally able to get it straightened out. And to top everything off there's no pool (as the website states) and the wine and cheese social hour also no longer exist. Oh and we never got our breakfast passes as promised.

This may have been my worst hotel experience ever!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank rg497
Dear R G,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It seems we certainly let you down and I apologize for our lapses in communication. I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to show you that we truly are great at creating fantastic visits to our hotel . We pride ourselves on providing amazing stays for our guests and I know we can win you back. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can make this right for you.

Lee Seiler
202-448-1772
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at the Normandy only to find out my prepaid reservation wouldn't be honored. This seems to be a fairly common thing as I overheard a phone conversation about a lost resevation when I walked in the door. The Normandy's standard fix for this problem is to send you to their sister property a few miles up Connecticut Ave. well past the zoo. The sister location is a 2 star Days Inn. I wasn't given any discounted rate either so I ended up getting a lesser hotel in a much lesser neighborhood for the same rate as the Normandy. Needless to say this experience left me with a not so desirable D.C. Visit. I regret booking this hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ChairmanOftheB0ard
ModusHotels, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear ChairmanOftheB0ard,

My deepest apologies for the lapse in communication with your reservation. I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to make it up to you. Please let me know when you have a moment to discuss further. We have an amazing hotel and I would love for you to experience all that we have to offer. It would be my absolute pleasure to make this right for you!

Lee Seiler
The Normandy Hotel
202-448-1772
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We loved this hotel. The staff was very accomodating and the hotel itself was nice and clean. It is a little bit of a haul to the nearest metro stop (Dupont Circle) but we didn't mind it except for a couple of times when it was 90 degrees and incredibly humid. There are bars and restaurants about 3-4 blocks away. Do not be afraid to take the Metro- it is great and the best way to get around DC. Dupont Circle is a great area with tons of bars and stores. The only negative thing we have to say about our stay is that the "wine happy hour" was cancelled every day of our stay but not a big deal and we wished there was a bar or restaurant closer to the hotel. After walking so much in DC we did not want to make the 3-4 block walk just for a night cap or snack, but I guess it saved us calories in the end. We would definitely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings CrystalAnn56!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the Normandy Hotel with the TA community! We are as enamored with our beautiful hotel and neighborhood as you were during your stay. Our location is superb and being minutes form the best restaurants in DC does not hurt either. Next time you visit our unforgettable “Indulgence” wine reception will be back in full force. Hurry back!

Warm regards,

charlotte, nc
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We booked our room using American miles and were pleased with what we got. This is a charming little boutique hotel in the Dupont Circle area. We arrived at 11:30 am and our room was ready. Sure the room was a little small, with one window but how much time did we spend in it. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. Free bottled water, Wi-Fi, lovely wine and cheese reception and a lovely little parting gift when we left. The hotel was in perfect walking distance to reasonably priced restaurants, shopping and bars. Also the hop on hop off bus stop was right down the street. We will stay again, next time we will book a Deluxe king room. Oh and loved the soap and shower gel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lmizza
Hello lmizza!

I am elated that your stay with us at the Normandy Hotel so pleasant! We really are a gem right on Embassy Row and our location cannot be beat. Our team thrives on ensuring all our guests have a memorable stay and they will be thrilled when I share this with them. Please know that we are your home away from when your travels bring you to Washington DC!

Best,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

The exterior outlook of this boutique hotel may be simple but the lounge and the bedrooms are delightfully and tastefully furnished with an excellent neighborhood of beautiful and interesting houses of Embassies, highly reccommended for one to explore. Only ten minutes walk to the Metro station.

• Stayed June 2013
ModusHotels, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Greetings Liewho!

Thank you so much for spending time with us at the Normandy Hotel! I am so pleased to see that your stay with us was a pleasurable one and that you found our hotel as charming as we do. The Normandy really does offer a perfectly unique experience as we are conveniently tucked away but minutes from everything. We are all so proud of our property and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future!