“Good Location”

Ranked #25 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Batemans Bay
“Good Location”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We'd read the reviews prior to staying at this property but found a few details lost when they changed hotel chains but that was quickly sorted when I produced detailed emails. We found the hotel conveniently located and the "hill" that everyone talks about is nothing, you're on holidays and a bit of exercise is good for everyone, especially if you get your breakfast included; cookies and coffee in the afternoon and what a great way to unwind in the evening with cheese and a glass of wine. Found all staff lovely. FYI there is a 711 store across the block not in DuPont circle and within easy walking distance if you need anything.

Room Tip: front room with a view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sttkozzies
ModusHotels, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear sttkozzies,

Thank you very much for spending time with us at the Normandy Hotel. We greatly appreciate the nice comments! It’s great to see that our location was conducive for you. We really are close to everything and have the luxury of being nestled right on Embassy Row! You could not ask for a better locale. Please keep us in mind when your travels bring you back to DC, we would love to host you again!

Lee Seiler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The front desk employee was very rude to me when I checked in the hotel. I had made two seperate reservation in January then canceled it a couple weeks later. My travel plans changed again so I rebooked at the Normandy Hotel two seperate reservation.1st reservation was for Friday night and the 2nd reservation was for Friday and Saturday night . Two days before I was to arrive at the hotel my mother in law got sick and I canceled the 1st reservation. When I arrived at the hotel the front desk employee informed me that I had no reservation at the hotel. Because I had booked a reservation and canceled a reservation and rebooked the reservation and then canceled the reservation. He was so rude when he said this to me. My daughter was with me and could not believe how he was treating us. I then told him why I had canceled the reservation and so on. But before I could finish he took a phone call. The phone call must have been from someone he had called earlier about my reservation. After he got off the phone he said I guess you heard what I was talking about on the phone. He then informed me that my 2ndreservation we could have after all.. He was soooo rude. He made me fell like I was not worthy to stay at the hotel and if it would have be up to him I would not have got the room. The hotel was nice but I doubt that I will ever stay there agian. The cutomer service was terrible...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear George110,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I would like to apologize for the less than desirable interaction. We truly are focused on ensuring all of our guests stays with us are wonderful and I will most certainly share with the team. I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to discuss further. Please feel free to contact me at any time so we can make this right for you. Looking forward to connecting.

202-448-1772
Wisconsin
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Charming on the outside, a bit "underwhelming" on the inside. I didn't mind the small room as much as I did the stained carpeting, mold in the shower, unoperable light fixtures and horrible lighting in general. While the bathroom was small enough that if you turned around twice, you'd bump into yourself - the problem was an outrageously flat, shallow sink that splashed water on you when you turned the faucet on. AND that there was NO surface or counters to work from - I had to put my make up and hair care products on the closed toilet seat while getting ready in the morning. I encountered staff arguing in the elevator, and smoking at the front door, In fairness, I don't like B&B's - I prefer efficiency, security, and the conveniences/amenities of larger hotels. The location of The Normandy is wonderful.

1 Thank AlwaysEatingOut
ModusHotels, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear AlwaysEatingOut,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. Great feedback and I will certainly share with our Management team to address and move forward. Some of our rooms are cozier than others, please know that I am here to assist with your next visit with us and I will ensure that you will most certainly be comfortable. Thank you once again and we hope to see you very soon!

Frederick
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Nestled on Wyoming amongst several embassies, The Normandy Hotel is an oasis of elegance with a warm but unobtrusive welcome.
We were fortunate enough to snag a room at the front with French doors that actually opened to the outdoors! A wrought-iron railing kept one from falling into the perfectly groomed courtyard below. Ah ~ shades of Paris in downtown DC! The room, although small, was beautifully decorated with an agrarian-themed wallpaper matched by the drapery fabric. Black and white with pink/red accents were most appealing. Mirrors on closet doors and one wall added space to the room. Wifi access was perfect. Shower bathroom, echoing the black & white theme - beautiful.
Public areas in this hotel are soothing and elegant. From the deftly lit lobby with central table showing off three tall cylindrical vases of orchids to the dental molding & atrium in the dining area, these spaces let you know you are in a place that wants you to be there.
We enjoyed a 'free' and delectable Happy Hour in those public rooms. The wine was excellent as was the attentive service. Several cheeses with a full selection of crackers, sliver-thin meats with dried fruit and fresh grapes completed the respite.
We stayed here the night before a seminar at the Hilton, just steps away. At a break, the woman in front of us asked where we had stayed. "You are kidding?" she exclaimed. "The Normandy Hotel is close by? Twenty years ago guests at my wedding stayed there and raved about it. I have to get over there."
Restaurants and bars of Dupont Circle are a short walk away. What more could you want?
Go, and you, too, will remember this gem as remarkable.

1 Thank Duvel11Frederick
Greetings Duvel11Frederick!

Thank you for taking a moment to share your visit with us at The Normandy Hotel! I am thrilled to see that your stay was a success! The whole team will be so pleased to hear that you enjoyed all we have to offer. We all agree as well, our evening wine reception is one of favorite moments to spend time with our guests as they wind down their days and start planning for the evening. Please know the Normandy Hotel is your home away from home and we look forward to your next visit!

Warm regards,

Alamogordo, New Mexico
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Great little hotel and the staff there was excellent they helped us in every way they could they made our stay very enjoyable.

Our room was small but they are well laid out with all the bells and whistles and they make good use of every inch of space the bathroom (esp the shower) was a pleasure to use :-)

My only complaint was the breakfast it was very expensive for what you get and booking.com implied it was free and it was far from free. Thinking it was free I went ahead and their constant breakfast and it cost me over $17 but my two traveling companions were warned in advance to be careful and so we never ate there again.

Room Tip: From the front desk to those helping you with your luggage and parking your car let the staff know w...
2 Thank RoCaPhoJo R
Hello RoCaPhoJo R!

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Normandy Hotel with the TA community! I am so happy to read that our team here made your stay a special one. Mission accomplished! We are truly a gem here in DC! Thanks for the great feedback regarding your breakfast experience as well. We have actually lowered the price of our buffet style continental breakfast and added some more fresh and seasonal choices. I am sure you will be impressed on your next visit!

Thanks again!

BRIGHTON
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was such a delightful hotel. The location is perfect, located only a few blocks from the Metro in a very distinctive residential neighborhood. The service at the hotel was outstanding and although the rooms are small, the common areas make up for the lack of room space. We loved coming back here everyday after a hectic sightseeing schedule, it was a quiet and relaxing place to unwind with a glass of wine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KATHLEEN P
Greetings KATHLEEN P!

I am thrilled to see that your stay with us at The Normandy Hotel was fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to share with the TA community! Our team will be so pleased to hear that they were able to make your stay so pleasurable. Our hotel really is special! Take care and hope to see you soon!

South Tamworth, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel is located midway between the Dupont Circle and Woodley Park/Zoo Metro stops. I'd advise riding the Metro to Woodley Park when arriving - then it's a short *downhill* walk on Connecticut Ave to Wyoming, and the hotel is one or two buildings in from the corner. And, by the same logic, when you leave by Metro, walk downhill to Dupont Circle stop.
The room with two beds was not large, as others have said, the in room Nespresso machine is a nice touch, as is the 24 hours tea and coffee in the breakfast nook. The room was clean and well decorated, the marble shower with a bench gave a luxury touch.
Breakfast is 16.95. It's a nice, European-style spread, with meat, cheese, fruit, bread, juice, cereal and more, but there's a bazillion good places to eat nearby, including the Dupont Circle branch of Teaism.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hello Annie R!

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on your stay with us at The Normandy Hotel! Our location can’t be beat and you are correct, you can always walk downhill to a metro stop! I look forward to sharing your thoughts with our team here, they will be elated to hear you enjoyed! Our breakfast price has actually been reduced and we provide more seasonal and fresh choices as well! Please visit us soon and enjoy our evening wine reception as well. Our cozy patios are ready for relaxing and enjoying!

Lee