“An interesting property”

Ranked #55 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Cincinnati, Ohio
“An interesting property”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I liked this hotel for its size and its historic charm. The location was good as well, w/ easy access to subway while still being possible to walk to major attractions. I was initially concerned when I arrived because there was major construction all along street so when I checked in, I made sure to request a room on the opposite side of the building. I was told that a large hotel chain is erecting a new property adjacent to this hotel and that later this year it would close to undergo its own expansion and renovation. I'm sure once it's reopened it will be much fancier (and more expensive) than the property I experienced. Overall the room was comfortable and clean. I liked the large windows overlooking the street although i did hear typical city street noise during the night (hard to avoid this in a city). The linens were good and there was a small fridge in my room, though it wasn't working. A few other comments mentioned the room size and the awkward location of an armoire. This was also the case in my room; the armoire housed the tv and it was difficult to get around it when the door was open to view the screen. It also made it tricky accessing the door to the room. This was an odd configuration of the room which seemed unnecessary. The lobby area of the hotel was cute, like a parlor and one afternoon there were freshly baked cookies on offer (tasty). The hotel staff were really helpful and when I had trouble with a window one morning it was promptly fixed. When I booked this online directly through the hotel's website I was able to prepay for my reservation at a reduced price from what I found on other hotel booking sites. Granted, it was a non-refundable rate, so if you're concerned about needing to cancel your reservation, this would not be an option. But it saved me about US$50. I would stay at this property again but would definitely check in advance regarding the construction situation since that could definitely pose a problem.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the construction noise. For safety, make sure to get a room on an upper flo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank You for taking the time in submitting a review regarding your recent stay with us. Your comments are very kind, honest and considerate. I'm so thankful to know that you got a chance to explore and appreciate our property, even in the midst of major construction, which is apart of our expansion and the overall plans to revitalize the neighborhood.
Please do not hesitate in booking with us again in the future when your travel plans bring you back to Washington DC.

Best Regards,
Mohamad Taha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I can't say enough good about the staff and hotel. The staff treated us as if we were old friends or frequent visitors, extending genuine concern and compassion. We stayed in one of the Victorian suites and thoroughly enjoyed it. The restaurant serves what are truly gourmet meals, although selection is somewhat limited. The location is a real bonus. We were located within 2 blocks of the convention center, an easy walk. This was very important because of my wife's bum knee. We definitely plan to stay there when we return next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank You Richard3310 for your kind words regarding your stay and the staff at the Morrison Clark Inn. It is always refreshing to hear when the staff go out of their way to make our guests feel welcomed and appreciated. I'm happy to know that you enjoyed the Victorian room and had the chance to dine in our restaurant. I will be sure to pass your comments on to my staff.

Thank You for staying with us.

Best Regards,
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had stayed here previously and looked forward to returning with my husband. Our room was so small it was not possible to open the doors to the armoire contains the tv enough to watch it. When we returned from dinner there were ear plugs left on the bed for us. We thought this was odd because the room was very quiet, we didn't even hear traffic outside. We realized why they were there at 7am the next morning when VERY LOUD construction started directly outside our window. Sleeping, even with ear plugs was not an option. Our only option was to get up and check out. I told them how disappointed we were and how we would have appreciated being told in advance we were staying in a room with construction and given the option to stay in another room even at more expense. He apologized but no explanation how this could happen.

Room Tip: Avoid room 202. Even without construction it is too small to watch the tv
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
I apologize that your most recent stay with us was less than satisfactory. To know that you are a repeat guest whom was dissastisfied with our service is very disappointing, as our goal is to always provide the best in customer service satisfaction.We never like to see any of our guests walk away dissapointed, and again, I sincerley apologize that your complaints were not resolved in a more proficient manner.
I would love for you to reconsider staying with us again in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Walking past some of the plush modern hotels in Washington, i was glad i picked a hotel with a bit more character. Whilst the exterior and all public rooms we cosy and timeless, the room itself was dim and bland. In house breakfast was enjoyable, especially as there seems to be a distinct lack of alternatives in downtown DC. The location was first class, which made the business of being a tourist in town a whole lot easier. In a radius of a twenty five minute walk was the White House, the start of the National Mall, and the main rail station. The Lincoln monument, Jefferson monument, Smithsonian, and all places along the mall were all a healthy walk from the hotel. No need for public transport. I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013
Hello Dave C
Thank You for your comments, as I'm thrilled to know that our location was perfect for your travels to most of the major attractions in Washington DC. I do apologize that the room was not quite what you expected but I certainly do appreciate that you otherwised enjoyed your stay with us.
I would love for you to visit the Morrison-Clark Inn for your future travel plans. Please do not hesitate in contacting us.

Tampa
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip. I was looking for a hotel with reasonable rates and within walking distance to my meeting location on F Street. This was a good match for me. It's a historic inn and undergoing an expansion. Actually there is construction going on much of the area. Unlike other reviewers, I was not awaken by the construction though. The view is not scenic given the construction.

I arrived at the hotel after the checkin time but my room was not ready. After waiting almost an hour in the lobby, I was upgraded to a suite. The suite had plenty of room, a super soft bed and a nice bathroom. There are no I overhead lights so I understand the comments about the rooms being dark. I used the fitness room once while there. It's in the basement and includes a treadmill, bike and weights....enough for what I needed.

The location is pretty good too. I walked everywhere I needed to go including the Old Post Office and White House. I took the metro from the airport to the hotel using the yellow line to Mt Vernon Square. That was very convenient. Overall, I think it is a good hotel in a decent location. Henley Park is a similar hotel located nearby and owned by the same people. I would consider staying there too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank You for your recent review regarding your stay with us. I'm pleased to know that our location was ideal for you and that you enjoyed the buildings history and charm. I do wish to apologize that your wait to get a room after the check in time was almost an hour, as I will be sure to address this to the appropriate staff members. I'm happy to hear that you were upgraded to our Parlor Suite for the inconvenience. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and I'm glad that we met those expectations for you.
Please feel free to visit us again during your next trip to Washington DC.

Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

If your looking for something a little different in hotels in a major city, then look no further.
Unlike the major hotel chain where you cold be anywhere in the world, this is a real friendly hotel, with smoke very nice antique furnishings. Whilst it might be situated on a busy junction, just remember you are in a major city and noise is everywhere.
Rooms really spacious and comfortable. Menus is little limited in the restaurant but there are many close by so, never an issue to find a good meal.
The staff are really friendly and nothing appears to be too much trouble for them.
Would truly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank You for your review. It's nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the Inn to be suitable to your needs. I will be happy to pass your comments on to my staff, letting them know that we have exceeded your expectations.
Please stay with us again when your travel plans bring to you back to our Nations Capitol.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Breakfast on the veranda was delightful (as was everything else about the hotel). I'm sure the wait staff thought I was nuts not to sit inside in the air conditioning but the morning (July 6) was cool enough to sit outdoors on that lovely wide porch and enjoy breakfast. I don't know where else in downtown DC you can sit on the veranda of a late-19th century home and get a sense of the scale, atmosphere and history of the city as well as you can here.

Despite being sold out the night before (July 4th) and my being early for check-in, the staff was able to put me in a room when I arrived. I appreciated this because it meant I could unpack and get started on my museum visits. I had a lovely, quiet room -- with an air conditioning system I could figure out!

The hotel is well located and the National Mall is a 15-minute walk. Metro Center subway stop (blue, orange and red lines) is nearby.

I've stayed here before and will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank You for kind comments. I'm delighted to hear that you had a chance to dine in our restaurant and that you enjoyed your breakfast out on our veranda. The veranda is a such a charming and intimate setting where our guests can just sit back, relax and enjoy a good meal or cocktail. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I'm also happy to hear that our location was ideal for you and that our rooms and amenities catered to your every need.
Please feel free to visit us again in the future.