“Charming and good location”

Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #53 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip. I was looking for a hotel with reasonable rates and within walking distance to my meeting location on F Street. This was a good match for me. It's a historic inn and undergoing an expansion. Actually there is construction going on much of the area. Unlike other reviewers, I was not awaken by the construction though. The view is not scenic given the construction.

I arrived at the hotel after the checkin time but my room was not ready. After waiting almost an hour in the lobby, I was upgraded to a suite. The suite had plenty of room, a super soft bed and a nice bathroom. There are no I overhead lights so I understand the comments about the rooms being dark. I used the fitness room once while there. It's in the basement and includes a treadmill, bike and weights....enough for what I needed.

The location is pretty good too. I walked everywhere I needed to go including the Old Post Office and White House. I took the metro from the airport to the hotel using the yellow line to Mt Vernon Square. That was very convenient. Overall, I think it is a good hotel in a decent location. Henley Park is a similar hotel located nearby and owned by the same people. I would consider staying there too.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank You for your recent review regarding your stay with us. I'm pleased to know that our location was ideal for you and that you enjoyed the buildings history and charm. I do wish to apologize that your wait to get a room after the check in time was almost an hour, as I will be sure to address this to the appropriate staff members. I'm happy to hear that you were upgraded to our Parlor Suite for the inconvenience. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and I'm glad that we met those expectations for you.
Please feel free to visit us again during your next trip to Washington DC.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

If your looking for something a little different in hotels in a major city, then look no further.
Unlike the major hotel chain where you cold be anywhere in the world, this is a real friendly hotel, with smoke very nice antique furnishings. Whilst it might be situated on a busy junction, just remember you are in a major city and noise is everywhere.
Rooms really spacious and comfortable. Menus is little limited in the restaurant but there are many close by so, never an issue to find a good meal.
The staff are really friendly and nothing appears to be too much trouble for them.
Would truly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank You for your review. It's nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the Inn to be suitable to your needs. I will be happy to pass your comments on to my staff, letting them know that we have exceeded your expectations.
Please stay with us again when your travel plans bring to you back to our Nations Capitol.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Breakfast on the veranda was delightful (as was everything else about the hotel). I'm sure the wait staff thought I was nuts not to sit inside in the air conditioning but the morning (July 6) was cool enough to sit outdoors on that lovely wide porch and enjoy breakfast. I don't know where else in downtown DC you can sit on the veranda of a late-19th century home and get a sense of the scale, atmosphere and history of the city as well as you can here.

Despite being sold out the night before (July 4th) and my being early for check-in, the staff was able to put me in a room when I arrived. I appreciated this because it meant I could unpack and get started on my museum visits. I had a lovely, quiet room -- with an air conditioning system I could figure out!

The hotel is well located and the National Mall is a 15-minute walk. Metro Center subway stop (blue, orange and red lines) is nearby.

I've stayed here before and will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Thank You for kind comments. I'm delighted to hear that you had a chance to dine in our restaurant and that you enjoyed your breakfast out on our veranda. The veranda is a such a charming and intimate setting where our guests can just sit back, relax and enjoy a good meal or cocktail. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I'm also happy to hear that our location was ideal for you and that our rooms and amenities catered to your every need.
Please feel free to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

What a breath of fresh air to stay in a hotel where personal attention is the norm! Not only that, but everything about this historic inn is elegant, charming, and comfortable. I loved having breakfast because the room was lovely, and the homemade yoghurt and granola were exquisite. A stay in the Morrison-Clark in will make your trip to DC even more special.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank You for such wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm happy to know that you had a chance to dine in our restaurant and that your meal choice was up to standards. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the chef and the rest of the staff.
I'm also pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the service was impeccable. Giving outstanding customer service is our top priority.
Thank You again for your kindness.
Please feel free to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I made the reservation through Expedia and later on went to the hotel website for more information. Neither of the two sites told us about the renovation going on in this hotel. We got there on a Saturday, June 22, and the person at the front desk was charming but didn't tell us either about the big secret. When we woke up on Sunday everything was nice and quiet but on Monday and Tuesday -the day we were checking out-, it was like a war zone beginning at 7:00 a.m. The whole building was trembling with the construction crew work. We asked for some kind of refund and they send us back to Expedia were we only got 10% of the whole reservation: $69. It could be a pleasant place but there's no respect for the clients when you don't tell the truth. Alejandro R.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alejandro R
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

I would like to personally apologize to you that your stay was less than pleasant. We do our best in accomodating our guests when an experience during their stay is either interrupted or turns out to be a dissapointment. Please take the time in contacting me so that I may discuss your stay in further detail.
Thank You for your comments.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our stay at this charming hotel met and exceeded our expectations. From the minute we walked in the door, the staff was warm and welcoming. We were there for 5 days and enjoyed every minute of it. We got to know most of the front desk staff and were always welcomed back from our adventures of the day. The neighborhood around the building is wonderful with lots of yummy local places to eat. I was there for a conference at the convention center and the proximity of this hotel was perfect. While some of the reviews talk about tiny rooms I did not find this room small at all. There was plenty of space for us. The bed was great, very comfortable and it was a queen size bed. There was a small fridge in the room so we just went to the local market around the corner and bought what we needed. While the bathroom is small it was sufficient for what anyone could need.Everything was in easy walking distance from the hotel. This is an inner city hotel so there will be traffic noise. This true for all the hotels in the area. Everyone I talked to mentioned that the hotel provided them with earplugs and some of them needed them. We didn't have that trouble I think because this hotel isn't on the busiest street in the area.
We had friends stay at a chain hotel around the corner and this place was much nicer. We hung out at hour hotel instead of theirs. The lovely patio area was a great space for visiting. I would recommend this hotel to everyone and will definitely stay here again when business or pleasure brings me back to DC. It's a historic hotel so as long as you remember that and don't go there looking for an over the top luxury hotel you'll love it too!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisa L

I appreciate you taking the time in expressing how wonderful your stay was and how delighted you were with our amenities and service. It is a great feeling to have you reach out to us to let us know how we influenced your stay. I, along with the rest of the staff, personally Thank You for such kind comments and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I must admit I was somewhat skeptical about staying at this historic inn but once we arrived I was pleasantly surprised. I love the fact that there is always someone there to open the door for you when you arrive and depart. The front desk is gorgeous I love the unique details. I was stunned at how beautiful our room looked when I first walked in. The size was perfect for me and the best part was the room was super clean. The only bad part was the lighting it is so dark around the shower and toilet area. The room could use some additional lighting as well with all the lights on it still feels so dark. Oh another bonus for me was the fact that the inn uses real keys for the rooms and not plastic swipe cards. They also provide free wifi in the rooms. The breakfast is a tad bit expensive so we did not partake in it. Also the valet parking is a bit costly as well $33.00 plus tax. I suggest you park yourself this is what we did we found a nearby parking garage that was cheaper near Franklin Square. And if you get lucky you can find some street parking near the inn.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the construction noise. We stayed in 306 and were awaken by construction...